KSP Loading... The KSP franchise expands

SQUAD

19 hours ago, Nightside said:

DX11 support for KSP 1.8? Great news! Somebody better make sure @Shadowmage  hasn't fainted!

Actually... I'm more excited that I'll finally be able to stop running six different versions of Unity Editor for all the different deprecated-but-still-used-in-KSP features I need to use alongside the newer versions for my own personal projects.

But... ditching all of the hacks I had to do to fix PartIcons in DX11 for TU would be nice as well (assuming they are actually fixed for Standard shader...which I still have my doubts on).

20 hours ago, nestor said:

We don't have a release date yet to announce. 

Is the surface of say vall going to be different in ksp 2 (Will one coordinate be different between both games) I guess I'll give you an example:

Eve has a tall mountain in ksp 1 but will the same place on eve have that mountain?

9 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Is the surface of say vall going to be different in ksp 2 (Will one coordinate be different between both games) I guess I'll give you an example:

Eve has a tall mountain in ksp 1 but will the same place on eve have that mountain?

Probably, but we don't know for sure yet.

8 hours ago, Snark said:

"Systems", plural, yes.  As in, more than one.  :)

They're not saying yet exactly how many, but when we asked them about it at the studio tour on Wednesday ("how many?") their answer was one word:  "Multiple."  So, yes, more than one.

While I’m sure KSP2 will ship with multiple systems, I’d imagine even more systems would be fodder for DLCs

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ill be there for 2 days

Jatwaa is here too, I wonder if we can grab lunch at some time? I'll be at Das's panel at 2:30, Sasquatch theater

An FYI for anyone coming Friday, I have a black shoulder bag and am wearing green pants ;) don't be afraid to ask "Are you Avera9eJoe"!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Jatwaa is here too, I wonder if we can grab lunch at some time? I'll be at Das's panel at 2:30, Sasquatch theater

An FYI for anyone coming Friday, I have a black shoulder bag and am wearing green pants ;) don't be afraid to ask "Are you Avera9eJoe"!

Updated dress code...

ALL attendees to wear green pants and carry a black shoulder bag.

Sorry, too tempting to resist, just jealous i can't be there. Have a great time everyone.

5 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

But... ditching all of the hacks I had to do to fix PartIcons in DX11 for TU would be nice as well (assuming they are actually fixed for Standard shader...which I still have my doubts on).

Well they are. When we say DX11, all shaders are including part icons.

Just now, JPLRepo said:

Well they are. When we say DX11, all shaders are including part icons.

Sure, I would expect nothing less than full support for the stock parts and KSP-specific shaders; they just needed a recompile to work for DX11 with the proper flags setup in the project configuration.

But if I import a part that uses the Unity Standard (metallic) shader, will the PartLoader code that creates icons use a proper replacement icon-shader?  How about other custom shaders... what icon-shader would get used in those instances?  Is there a way to insert new entries into the Shader -> IconShader mappings? (previously/currently not exposed that I could find / or possibly hard-coded in a switch statement somewhere?)

(notably, there are currently issues if any non-KSP-specific shader is used, where the PartIcon defaults to using a legacy diffuse shader rather than a PBR shader, with no config based options that I've seen to specify what icon-shader variant should be used)

(or... alternatively.... will the icon-shader sources be included in PartTools, so that proper replacements might be developed?)

13 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Sure, I would expect nothing less than full support for the stock parts and KSP-specific shaders; they just needed a recompile to work for DX11 with the proper flags setup in the project configuration.

But if I import a part that uses the Unity Standard (metallic) shader, will the PartLoader code that creates icons use a proper replacement icon-shader?  How about other custom shaders... what icon-shader would get used in those instances?  Is there a way to insert new entries into the Shader -> IconShader mappings? (previously/currently not exposed that I could find / or possibly hard-coded in a switch statement somewhere?)

(notably, there are currently issues if any non-KSP-specific shader is used, where the PartIcon defaults to using a legacy diffuse shader rather than a PBR shader, with no config based options that I've seen to specify what icon-shader variant should be used)

(or... alternatively.... will the icon-shader sources be included in PartTools, so that proper replacements might be developed?)

I will check - but pretty sure if it's not using a KSP part shader there is a part icon shader there now that will work.

There are things that I like about the old game and things that I like about the new game. The most important issue for me will be whether KSP 2 still essentially feels like the original KSP. Call me sentimental, but I've grown to love every part of this game. It will hurt to see it change.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:16 PM, Rune said:

Woah, is this the week of huge news or something? Starhoopper hopping, KSP 2 announced for next year, Unity and general under-the-hood improvements to KSP coming in 1.8 (I assume before then!!!)... Somebody pinch me!

Rune. It was enough to take me out of my posting slumber, at the very least.

Feel yourself pinched.

54 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Soo... with the words "multiples" and "multi-player" being thrown around and hyped...
is there any chance multi-*monitor* support is being looked at? .... Pretty pleeze with a cherry on top...?? :P

Oh please. I’ve wanted this for so long. Flight scene on my laptop with the “Mission Kontrol” map screen on the 60” TV on the wall...

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Soo... with the words "multiples" and "multi-player" being thrown around and hyped...
is there any chance multi-*monitor* support is being looked at? .... Pretty pleeze with a cherry on top...?? :P

Doesn't Unity UI already support it? So sounds like a great mod to write, albiet I would prefer to see it *built-in* myself.

@JPLRepo one more question I should have asked previously:

• currently .NET 3.5 is used, is this going to go to a newer version say .NET 4.8?

3 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Doesn't Unity UI already support it? So sounds like a great mod to write, albiet I would prefer to see it *built-in* myself.

@JPLRepo one more question I should have asked previously:

• currently .NET 3.5 is used, is this going to go to a newer version say .NET 4.8?

From the OP:

Still, there will be several changes, due to the introduction of the Roslyn compiler, which brings full C#7 support and moving to full .NET 4.x API (.NET 3.5 support is deprecated).

One of the things I noticed in 1.7.3 was a change in the power consumption of the robotic parts.  1.7.3 pretty much made my Frog and Walker unusable due to their sudden sucking down of huge amounts of electricity.  I'm hoping this is being looked into for 1.8. I filed a bug report, but not much seems to have progressed.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23175