Souptimes art gallery

Souptime

10 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

Great job! The last one is quite nationalist, but still neat. When I draw, I never shade in the void of space, mostly because it's a lot of work, but also because of the pencil smearing on my hands, on the drawing, etc.

Thank you! I felt much the same about the last one. I wouldn't say "offensive" (the internet ruined that one anyway), but I feel it may overwhelm anybody who isn't American (and people who are). As for the shading of the background, you really need to get the smearing out of your head. It's time consuming, yes, but in the end it makes the picture come out a lot better.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Ay, new page!

3 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

As for the shading of the background, you really need to get the smearing out of your head. It's time consuming, yes, but in the end it makes the picture come out a lot better.

I do actually shade my drawings, but that much just, I feel like, smears all over the unshaded parts. When I color in large parts of space, I prefer to do it with a gray colored pencil instead.

Also, colored pencils are my favored coloring tool. Markers just bleed through everything, and crayons have super inconsistent coloring, get dull in five seconds, and if you want to do fine detailing, you may as well forget about it.

10 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

And ending it all, a drawing celebrating all of American space flight, as well as a message of hope for the future. I will admit, this one is aggressively American. I’ll take it down if people are too unhappy about it.

It has Orion in it, so I guess it's also a little European...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 4:59 PM, Ben J. Kerman said:

I'm a pretty big flag nerd. 

Wouldn't say I'm a flag "nerd," but I do enjoy quaint anecdotes about all flags, everywhere. Once, a peer in a history class asked when the Confederacy switched to the flag always used in movies and paintings, which was only ever their battle flag. I responded (cutting off the teacher) with a brief history of Confederate flags and he looked almost a little annoyed about me having answered it for him. (But in a good-natured way)

I'm currently tied over Utah's (the new one) or Antarctica's flags being the best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Drew this quite a few months ago.

7Lk2CFf.jpg

This is the skyline for a fictional rust belt city called Bruvell (name being a gibberish mashup of Bruh-ville). It’s the setting for a comic I’m working on. The city’s mostly analogous to Philadelphia (it’s literally in PA), but also takes a little bit of inspiration from Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn, and Pittsburgh. The city itself is actually quite dumpy. I’ll share a few more sketches of it when I get a chance.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

I’ll share a few more sketches of it when I get a chance.

Here are the rest.

vpnUgTp.jpg

This is the first sketch when I was really just starting to think about designing the city. It's really more just me trying to get a feel of what the city should feel like, not necessarily look like. The graffiti on the train track was mostly done by me, the more lewd ones were done by friends (and some random person also added graffiti to it when I wasn't looking. No idea who it was.) The scratched out one is a more political one, and I know the Forum's rules on politics. Just saving the mods a favor

WtpuZCj.jpg

This one is when I more worked on the look of city. This is supposed to be where the main characters of the comic live too. Bruvell's a very run down, poor place, so this image reflects that a little more. I spent like a week working on this one, most of that time spent making windows.

WXtt2gs.jpg

Not much to say here. Just rowhomes. And lots of wires. Just more practice and visual design.

Qpjapo2.jpg

And finally, an add for the transport company operating in and around the city. Bruvell Regional Transport isn't just limited to Bruvell metropolitan area though, and shares lines with Amtrak. Lines go out to Pittsburgh and even Cleveland.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Typos and such.

Two crew members of Phoenix 1 deploying a recon drone at Trouvelot Crater on Mars: August 14, 2044.

Drone-Deployment.jpg

more on this in the Phoenix missions worldbuilding thread!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BA-Forums said:

Two crew members of Phoenix 1 deploying a recon drone at Trouvelot Crater on Mars: August 14, 2044.

Drone-Deployment.jpg

Wow, your background are excellent! The hab could use a little bit of work, but the detailing of the martian surface is beautiful!

o7gTkCG.jpg

A little bit more of Bruvell, ports! Everybody loves a good port! This one's still a WIP, as the background needs to be done (containers galore!), but the crane is pretty much done. 100% not a ripoff of Philaport's cranes.

Edit: Drawing completed! The background sucks, but containers are tedious to draw, and roads as well from this angle.

2QizRCD.jpg?1

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

15 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Wow, your background are excellent! The hab could use a little bit of work, but the detailing of the martian surface is beautiful!

o7gTkCG.jpg

A little bit more of Bruvell, ports! Everybody loves a good port! This one's still a WIP, as the background needs to be done (containers galore!), but the crane is pretty much done. 100% not a ripoff of Philaport's cranes.

Edit: Drawing completed! The background sucks, but containers are tedious to draw, and roads as well from this angle.

2QizRCD.jpg?1

Thank you! I am gonna release a revamped version with a bit more detail but I am going to stay true to the original bluey art style. I would say a bit of weathering and more contrast would work. 

lol a cargo ship came during the time between now and the new edited version with containers :P

Some more of Bruvell, this time with the various landmark buildings outside of the Downtown. One issue I have with these drawings is that they're lacking in detail though, unlike the last ones.

ALrrzlH.jpg

Erie Bank Stadium, home of the Bruvell Team! Why are they called the team you ask? Well, when Bruvell applied for expansion team, they were unable to turn in a proper name before the deadline. So the NFL ended up naming them the Team. They have won no Super Bowls. The stadium is mostly inspired by Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia), but also takes  a little bit of inspiration from Highmark Stadium (Buffalo) too.

OunOAmP.jpg

"WKYS, the sound of Bruvell! Tune into 88.7FM for Sports, Music, News, Talk, and more! Everything you need for your commute to work, or to relax too at home. WKYS, Bruvell's go to radio station since 1941!" A little bit of history and radio knowledge is involved in this one. Firstly, the way radio works in the U.S. is that every station east of the Mississippi begins with W, and every station west begins with K. Afterwords is a random assortment of digits from 2-4. In the world Bruvell's in, Erie, PA simply doesn't exist. Bruvell's taken its place. However, both share a history. 1941 is when the first radio station came to Erie, and 88.7 is between the frequencies 88.1 and 107.9, the frequencies of FM radio given to Erie. And, WKYS is an actual station in D.C., but in this world that radio station also simply doesn't exist.

cdTzu2M.jpg

Bruvell Central Station, the main hub of all rail activity in Northwestern Pennsylvania! The main transport companies that operate here are Amtrak and Bruvell Regional Transport, and is a connection point between the Northeast corridor, Pittsburg, and Ohio. It's mainly inspired by 30th Street Station (Philadelphia), but also takes a bit of inspiration from Newark Penn and New York Penn. As you can see, this drawing's still a WIP.

Posted (edited)

WBvCXhi.png

For an assigment but I think it came out well.

Now that I think of it, this may be kind of political (although I don't mean it politically, it was required by the assignment) so mods can remove if they want

Edited by LHACK4142
fix image embed

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 6:34 PM, Kerbalsaurus said:

Bruvell Central Station, the main hub of all rail activity in Northwestern Pennsylvania! The main transport companies that operate here are Amtrak and Bruvell Regional Transport, and is a connection point between the Northeast corridor, Pittsburg, and Ohio. It's mainly inspired by 30th Street Station (Philadelphia), but also takes a bit of inspiration from Newark Penn and New York Penn. As you can see, this drawing's still a WIP.

I think this is an ugly train station but it matches the vibe of your city! Like in a good way, because a dirty city has a beauty of its own.

I'm biased though because I live in Portland and once near Seattle, blessed with the gorgeous Union Station and King Street Station.

Your project is really cool. And thanks for that info about how radio stations are named, I had no idea.

EDIT- And I don't mean your drawing is ugly, I mean the source material is. The drawing is really good. Not a negative comment directed at you or your choices, just at the IRL architects.

Edited by SunlitZelkova

13 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I think this is an ugly train station but it matches the vibe of your city! Like in a good way, because a dirty city has a beauty of its own.

I'm biased though because I live in Portland and once near Seattle, blessed with the gorgeous Union Station and King Street Station.

Your project is really cool. And thanks for that info about how radio stations are named, I had no idea.

EDIT- And I don't mean your drawing is ugly, I mean the source material is. The drawing is really good. Not a negative comment directed at you or your choices, just at the IRL architects.

Thank you! I will say that the train station was rather poorly drawn. I feel like I didn't do the source buildings justice, but to each their own. I wanted to make it a fancier, more expensive building as a last echo of the city's glory days. However, I do like brick stations a lot more than those Neo-Classical ones... To the sketch book we go! Once again, thank you for the kind words!

On 5/23/2024 at 6:34 PM, Kerbalsaurus said:

Some more of Bruvell, this time with the various landmark buildings outside of the Downtown. One issue I have with these drawings is that they're lacking in detail though, unlike the last ones.

ALrrzlH.jpg

Erie Bank Stadium, home of the Bruvell Team! Why are they called the team you ask? Well, when Bruvell applied for expansion team, they were unable to turn in a proper name before the deadline. So the NFL ended up naming them the Team. They have won no Super Bowls. The stadium is mostly inspired by Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia), but also takes  a little bit of inspiration from Highmark Stadium (Buffalo) too.

OunOAmP.jpg

"WKYS, the sound of Bruvell! Tune into 88.7FM for Sports, Music, News, Talk, and more! Everything you need for your commute to work, or to relax too at home. WKYS, Bruvell's go to radio station since 1941!" A little bit of history and radio knowledge is involved in this one. Firstly, the way radio works in the U.S. is that every station east of the Mississippi begins with W, and every station west begins with K. Afterwords is a random assortment of digits from 2-4. In the world Bruvell's in, Erie, PA simply doesn't exist. Bruvell's taken its place. However, both share a history. 1941 is when the first radio station came to Erie, and 88.7 is between the frequencies 88.1 and 107.9, the frequencies of FM radio given to Erie. And, WKYS is an actual station in D.C., but in this world that radio station also simply doesn't exist.

cdTzu2M.jpg

have you played Cities Skylines before? I think you would like it.

Posted (edited)

Mars Transfer Vehicle, I need names for it.

(This is also part of the phoenix missions)

Edited by BA-Forums
Newer drawing…

9 hours ago, BA-Forums said:

have you played Cities Skylines before? I think you would like it.

xwSV0GF.png

In counting

I'm sure you're all sick of it by now, but here we go! More of Bruvell! Actually, only two pictures. I'd rather actually get to work on the comic it was made for. I took @SunlitZelkova's artistic and architectural advice, and redesigned Bruvell Central Station, now named Bruvell Union Station. It's inspired by Pittsburgh Union Station and Hartford Union Station, as well as, um..., the base game train station asset from Cities: Skylines 2.

BuSAjvQ.jpg

Cragged, vandalized, and riddled with garbage, this certainly isn't exactly what you'd expect to be the main hub of one of America's most efficient public transport service. What public transport service? Bruvell Regional Transport of course! What, you think Amtrak would base itself in this dump? Built during the turn of the century in the 1910s, this station was once a glimmering beacon of America's rail age and the golden days of Bruvell. Now it's an echo of those long gone golden days, a reminder of what this city once was, and what it has unfortunately become.

And on a less dark note, late night deliveries!

9BIK9sL.jpg