[1.8 - 1.12] KSPCommunityFixes - Bugfixes and QoL tweaks

Gotmachine

1 hour ago, Gotmachine said:

Okay, this has nothing to do with the path of the install, sorry for that.

Since mipmap level is in the settings.cfg of the root folder that’s probably where the red herring came from.

3 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

The file is correctly found, that's not the issue.

Okay, this has nothing to do with the path of the install, sorry for that.
This is caused by having a lower than max global mipmap level active during loading.
The workaround is to set "texture quality" to "full res" in the KSP main menu video settings (and given that you have quite decent hardware, you probably should anyway), then to restart the game.
But I will investigate how to avoid that issue anyway.

Ok setting the Texture to Full did the trick. I don't think I would have ever figured that out. 

Thank you

Posted (edited)

Maybe someone can come up with at least a partial fix here... super annoyed trying to scan a surface feature with a scanning arm: "vessel moved, scan aborted" or "arm hit object, scan aborted" The KSP sliding bug combined with extreme sensitivity to movement makes it almost impossible to finish the scan. My ship was moving 6 mm/s and it still failed. Is a workaround like giving science credit at the beginning of the scan possible? Or somehow disabling the check for movement?

Edited by Krazy1
typo

New release :

• FastLoader : fixed the PNG loader behavior not being similar as in stock. It was wrongly generating mipmaps, notably resulting in NPOT textures not showing when texture quality wasn't set to full resolution (see issue #224).
  • FastLoader : fixed cached PNG textures loading not using the data loaded by the threaded reader, but instead reading the file again synchronously (!). Unsurprisingly, fixing that is massively improving texture loading time.

Thanks to @Scottmm78 for reporting the first issue.

22 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Is a workaround like giving science credit at the beginning of the scan possible? Or somehow disabling the check for movement?

I will open an issue so I remember to take a look. It might be possible to bump a bit the "vessel moving" threshold.

On 5/5/2024 at 8:21 AM, Krazy1 said:

Maybe someone can come up with at least a partial fix here... super annoyed trying to scan a surface feature with a scanning arm: "vessel moved, scan aborted" or "arm hit object, scan aborted" The KSP sliding bug combined with extreme sensitivity to movement makes it almost impossible to finish the scan. My ship was moving 6 mm/s and it still failed. Is a workaround like giving science credit at the beginning of the scan possible? Or somehow disabling the check for movement?

I made a patch for myself to address this issue a while ago, it might be worth a try:

@PART[RobotArmScanner_S*]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleRobotArmScanner]
    {
        @cancelScanDistance = 1
        @emergencyStopDistanceFromSurface = 0.1
        @firstJointRotationLimit = 95
    }
}

Just copy that into a new txt file inside your GameData folder (I keep all my own patches inside a folder like "MyPatches" inside GameData to keep track of them), and change the extension from .txt to .cfg

This looks amazing ! How can a group of modders surpass the devs like this ?!

I haven't tried it yet, but with a pretty bad config, this promises to help me immensely !

Amazing work done there :)

I'm trying to find a fix for hatch obstruction bug introduced in KSP 1.11 that makes hatch obstruction check ridiculously strict and makes many pre 1.11 built crafts unusable and some parts like Buffalo 2 side hatch useless (Kerbals can go in but can't go out). With this bug Kerbals can't EVA if there is any object within 2m distance from the airlock, before 1.11 update they could EVA into much tighter spaces.

KSP api documentation says that there are public attributes for PART class:

float Part.hatchObstructionCheckInwardDistance = 1.1f

float Part.hatchObstructionCheckInwardOffset = 1f

float Part.hatchObstructionCheckOutwardDistance = 1f

I tried to override these values in part config and it did work, all what's left is to test this "fix" for unforeseen consequences and find correct values for these parameters so that they represent the actual size of an EVA Kerbal. This is where I need help because it requires a lot of testing.

21 minutes ago, Manul said:

introduced in KSP 1.11

Should be easy enough for us to check what changed.

one of my mods (can’t remember if it’s FreeIVA or kerbalVR) forcibly changes these numbers because of false positives like you mention. So that’s at least one compatibility wrinkle…

12 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Should be easy enough for us to check what changed.

Not sure that it was exactly 1.11, it's just the changelog says that they "made hatch obstruction checks more consistent". I skipped a few updates due to my "use stable updates only" approach and switched my main KSP install from 1.9 to 1.11.2 so I don't know exactly when that happened.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Feature request:

Maybe it makes sense to generate all volumes at runtime in this mod,
because the KSPCF could also regenerate volumes if related settings is changed without requiring a game restart (how the KSP part volume works).

Feature request 2:

Option to disable all bodies except for home planet, its sun, its moons.
It is for quicker load / performance impovement if for testing purpose user do not need other bodies for now. 

Edited by flart

19 hours ago, flart said:

Feature request:

Maybe it makes sense to generate all volumes at runtime in this mod,
because the KSPCF could also regenerate volumes if related settings is changed without requiring a game restart (how the KSP part volume works).

Feature request 2:

Option to disable all bodies except for home planet, its sun, its moons.
It is for quicker load / performance impovement if for testing purpose user do not need other bodies for now. 

The first one is just Part Volumes without requiring a restart? Sounds like the feature request should be made to Part Volumes instead.

The second should be possible with a kopernicus patch, so not suitable for KSPCF.  I’d be surprised if it actually improves performance, but maybe…

If you’re looking for better performance when working on a mod, I suggest deleting the DLC, and all stock parts that you don’t need for actual testing. I can boot in ~20 seconds doing that. QuickStart is also helpful to shave off a few seconds of UI interactions.

On 5/30/2024 at 1:31 PM, JonnyOThan said:

The second should be possible with a kopernicus patch, so not suitable for KSPCF.

So no possible optimization there, on Harmony level?  Like, for example, for the start of career temporary disable other planets?

Another one, a limit of a zoom in the map mod.
It makes complicated to target vessel, that is close enough to active vessel.