Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

How come every time I check this "fun" thread it's talking about war again? :mad: 

Sheesh. 

Spock: I've never understood the human inclination to laugh at others' misfortune. It feels impolite.

Chapel: That's why it's funny.

Spock: Because it breaks the social expectation?

Pike: Sometimes, Mr. Spock, things go so badly, you just have to laugh.

23 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Spock: I've never understood the human inclination to laugh at others' misfortune. It feels impolite.

Chapel: That's why it's funny.

Spock: Because it breaks the social expectation?

Pike: Sometimes, Mr. Spock, things go so badly, you just have to laugh.

Because the other choice is to cry...

Cats have a sense of humor.
Vulcanians don't.

The cat sense of humor is based on childish imitation of adult activities, like attacking.

Ergo, the Vulcanians don't have a model of childish behaviour. 

Ergo, the Vulcanians have to do mistakes themselves instead of learning the adults' experience.

That's why they are having gone.

... Never liked the Vulcanians.

The cats are much better.

Edited by kerbiloid

I bet these aren't that unknown but I might as well put them here:

Canada and Denmark share a border on Hans Island, a tiny island, basically just a big rock, split between the two countries (look up "Whisky War")

France's largest border with another single country is actually Brazil because of their ownership of French Guyana in South America

Indonesia is actually huge, it's most westward and eastward points are almost the same distance as the contiguous USA coast to coast. They are islands, but it's still massive.

Bangladesh's population is over 4 times larger than Canada's, while being 78 times smaller. 

The population of Tokyo in just the city proper is greater than the entire population of Tunisia, and over twice that of all the Baltic states combined.

There's your daily dose of geography nerd. :P

Edited by Ben J. Kerman
Also found out that my birthday is also Russia's Defender of the Fatherland day

3 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

Bangladesh's population is over 4 times larger than Canada's, while being 78 times smaller. 

So, the Bangladesh ice hockey rinks should be sqrt(4*78) times smaller, 1.7 x 3.5 m.

10 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

Canada and Denmark share a border on Hans Island, a tiny island, basically just a big rock, split between the two countries (look up "Whisky War")

This fact truly is fun, ain't it? Another thing to note is that this border has actually only existed since last summer!

Here is another fun geography fact: Norway is the southernmost Nordic country, and in fact one of the aouthernmost countries in general.

Spoiler

This is because of a little place called Bouvet island, it's a (very) small island between South Africa amd Antarctica. And it somehow belongs to Norway

On 5/4/2023 at 12:38 AM, kerbiloid said:

So, the Bangladesh ice hockey rinks should be sqrt(4*78) times smaller, 1.7 x 3.5 m.

Do you have 24 players on each side as well?  Could you even see the  puck as you kick it around (no room to swing a stick).

9 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

Here is another fun geography fact: Norway is the southernmost Nordic country, and in fact one of the aouthernmost countries in general.

Hide contents

This is because of a little place called Bouvet island, it's a (very) small island between South Africa amd Antarctica. And it somehow belongs to Norway

Not to mention the Norwegian claim on parts of Antarctica.

Speaking of territorial claims on parts of Antarctica, there is considerable overlap between them. The French claim is in the middle of the Australian one, for instance. But due to the Antarctic Treaty, and the complete absense of stuff there except ice, nobody seems to mind much. There also is a quite huge chunk claimed by nobody. Even for Antarctica, it's not considered a worthwhile piece of real estate.

File:Antarctica, territorial claims.svg

(source)

16 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

Yes, Nords live in Riften, next to Morrowind.

I have to wonder if the North American common frog is even the same genus let alone species as the European (or at least English) common frog (or at least "frog commonly near populated areas").  Unless invasive species are at work (easy enough for a frog to hitch a ride), then I wouldn't expect them to sound the same.  Similar for Africa (don't think there are liniked frog habitats between Africa and Eurasia) South America, and Australia.

9 hours ago, wumpus said:

I have to wonder if the North American common frog is even the same genus let alone species as the European (or at least English) common frog (or at least "frog commonly near populated areas").  Unless invasive species are at work (easy enough for a frog to hitch a ride), then I wouldn't expect them to sound the same.  Similar for Africa (don't think there are liniked frog habitats between Africa and Eurasia) South America, and Australia.

It’s not a case of the frogs sounding different, it’s the languages sounding different.

Dogs sound the same everywhere yet we have different sounds by language (three examples I know: Russian- “gaf gaf”, English- “ruff ruff”, Japanese- “wan wan”