What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

So, on a hunch, I started a new Exploration game; I wanted to see how many flights it would take me to fill out Tier I.  The answer?  3.  3 flights is all it took for me to completely unlock all of Tier I (and then 3 nodes inside Tier II).  The 3 flights:

1. Get to 10km or higher
  2. Go sub-orbital.  Then orbital.  Then do the EVA mission.
  3. Do a Munar fly-by.  Then land on the Mun.  Then plant a flag in a Mare on the Mun.  Then return to Kerbin.

I am wondering if I could maybe do this in two launches (combine the first 2 bullets above into 1 launch).  All told, 3 flights is pretty darned quick.  I had the contract to go find the source of the Munar signal after landing on the Mun, but it was so far away from where I would be orbiting once leaving the Mun, and I was low on fuel (I had 22 m/s of fuel after the maneuver to aerobrake on Kerbin at 57km).  Maybe I could have done that, maybe not.  But I know I can get to the Mun, find the signal, then land at the monument all in one trip (and a few other things, like the perfect circular orbit).

This morning I set out on a polar expedition. I must say, the landscapes are beautiful. No longer is it just a flat ice patch. Genuinely made me go wow and take lots of screenshots.

vzo3YbB.png

Update: Jeb found a cool rock somewhere. (For real though, those drums as you're landing on the Mun give me chills)

a8UH3jq.jpg

Edited by Chel
Made it to the Mun ^^

I had a blast for several hours and landed a rover on Eve. Three times around with the pod to aerocapture was insane, touchdown at night with a frightening scenerie around and climbing the top of a (smaller) mountain with the rover at dusk dawn.

5bjzTyr.png 
Eve has become scarier and mor e beautiful at the same time, the scenery at low and dark light conditions reminds me of horrormovies (Aliens etc.).

Spoiler

JdNiUWS.png

Edited by Mikki
dawn

Hello Space Chat!

Long time player, first time Duna lander.   I went to Duna today, it was always the far horizon.  And I'm kinda slow so I did it with mods, I got one that launches, I got one that does maneuver nodes and one that lands (when you're close).      I played no mods until game breaking docking and other things happened and I got /frustrated/.

With mods?  It's pretty great, you still have to understand some things, they aren't up to mechjeb levels yet, but it's very fun for me so that's how I've done it.    Anyway, I went to Duna.

I did it and it felt great!   But now what?   the way I went to Duna was kinda wild, I made fuel satellites with probe cores and lots of the small sized solar panels, then I made a lander that had "just enough" gas to get there and dock at the fuel depot, land, refuel, and burn home (with a new fueling depot that can be anywhere if it needed).  Heck I launched SIX (6) Fuel depos, they're my "big honkers" 1-6 with M and the smallest L sized tanks of methalox.    I really had a blast making them, tool assisted launching until they could do it in one go, and putting them all over.    

I got back from Duna and had a buttload of science now, so I blew it on the xl parts! (the start of them anyway).  And I CRAVE more science.   

My only issue is, I lusted after Duna all through KSP1, never got there, did several mun missions and that was it, now I've done it.   I need new horizons, but with the parts I have, I've no familiarity with them.  This is kinda good kinda bad, for one the sky is the limit, for two, I've no idea where to begin after Duna, and with what parts?

Thanks devs!  You did a great thing here.

Today I assembled a two-launch spacecraft to travel to Duna, consisting of a lander containing a rover in a cargo bay, and a tank to give it the extra 'oomph' it needed to get there and back. Hopefully. It's definitely gotten there. I'll try for the landing tomorrow.

As I was playing, I took note of all the bugs and other things in the game I took issue with. Duna is beautiful, but it's not a short list.

Thud engine with spherical tanks has dV values bugged. So I did not have 3000 m/s.. I only had about 1500 in the descent stage. Thus, I landed the ascent stage instead of aborting.. and Jeb is marooned on Tylo. Minor spoiler below:

Spoiler

Screenshot-167.png

This is the long-boy that got him there.  I feel like there is no game penalty for building so long without a little bit of wobble.

Screenshot-162.png

Screenshot-164.png

Edited by Vl3d

Went to the Mun again this morning, saw some [REDACTED] and did some experiments. Will make for very interesting missions in the future, maybe a base or a fence around the [REDACTED] for funsies.

Spoiler

96wSfrK.jpg

I may of forgotten to attach a decoupler between the engine module and the capsule module. Through the entire process I had a feeling screaming at me I was missing something ^^

hFQKzJY.jpg

One bit of feedback, setting up fairings is fine but adding stuff inside the craft after they are there is incredibly annoying as they won't just stay open in the VAB editor. I always have to detach them and add things, and then consequently redo the fairing >.<

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

This is BIG HENRY.  He was meant to be a simple Jool probe but it turns out I overengineered him just a little bit.

He not only made it to Jool, he did low flybys over Tylo, Laythe, and Vall, gathering goo and radiation data from each one and sending it home.  

He has a full hydrogen and micro stage left, so I may boot up the game tomorrow and see if I can swing by Bop and Pol. Did not expect ol' Henry to be so dang good. 

Edited by Xacktar

Got KSP2 for christmas, first couple exploration mode flights

DwbfdLn.png
first hop

k1yAf1g.png
belly first upper descent to minimize chute deployment airspeed

OLAgKqN.png
just missed the south side parking garage

j2TEX3M.png
dust and water

LniSUpQ.png
First sputnik

2suFF9Q.png
LKO insertion

p2CLa5E.png
swimming in boat dock

3dr73IL.png
Absolutely love the PBR+post processing

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

I did many things today.... And almost gave up with this game....

First I lost Jeb.... I was thinking I killed him during one of my place experiment... But no, the game has decided that his place was on Minmus on my rover. ok....

So I decided to have a ride on Minmus with my rover to reach a rather flat area for a rescue mission. So I had to deal with wheels bugs, wheel ****** "physic" (I prefer to not place a word on how I feel about it), lights that strangely decide to work (since it's never work elsewhere I think it's a bug to have it working on this rover) and finally the notation panel about my solar panel not working every five second when I was driving in a big shadow.

After that great time at "driving" I organize my little rescue mission... No real problem... Until I tried to create a new maneuver around Minmus... Making the game crash ! Twice ! I finally gave up at making the maneuver and eyeball it.

And finally, I put the final touch on a spacecraft for a mission on Ike... With almost everything in it, communication satellite, a small rover and a lander ; a beautiful machine. But he VAB has decided to ruin my experience with a bug with the camera (relaunch the game does not solve the problem).... So I had to work with the orthogonal view (which is a great addition to the game) to finish the build.

This to discover many new problems with the crafts... Bugs with fairing loading, bugs with heating inside fairing, collision bugs when you try to exit another vessel from cargo bay and complete ship explosion for unknown reason.

Honestly, it's the very first time I encounter so many problems in a single day. If I would not had several days of good game before I would have uninstall the game and wait for a new update.

I hope I will be able to share some pictures of this mission to Ike.

After many bugs and problems, I finally completed my Ike mission !

Nice take off with big boosters ! A lot of aerodynamic controls are necessary.

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5353&authke

Leaving Kerbin sphere of influence !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5354&authke

Arriving in the Duna system !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5356&authke

Finally, Ike, my destination...

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5355&authke

Communication satellite deployment, for my rover activities...

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5357&authke

Rover deployment, without accident this time =D

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5358&authke

The rover doing its things on the surface... Probably the ugliest rover I have ever created.

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5359&authke

Lander deployment for the surface party !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5361&authke

Surface party !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5360&authke

Final arrival on Kerbin, the lander final job !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5352&authke

All this adventure has not been without problems... I had the game freezing during save loading, I had trajectories disappearing in the map view twice (game restart required), I had bugs with communication, I also had bugs with fuel detection once you dock with a ship...

(This was more yesterday but whatever)

I decided to go to Duna (Cause I haven’t been to the poles yet) after a painstakingly long and pointless mission to find some Easter eggs on Kerbin.

My Duna mission, however, was one of the stupidest I had ever done in KSP 1 or 2. Long story short I made one of the oldest mistakes that KSP has ever seen (other than maybe misfired staging).

I forgot my heat shield on the lander.

I had to burn manually as to avoid reentry and wasted a ton of deltaV. I did eventually land though. The problem was I only had about 1200 meters of deltaV left and I didn’t particularly feel to strongly about reverting all the way back to the VAB so I prepared a transfer window and was fully prepared to recreate the events of The Martian.

The transfer window I got was actually really good and I managed to get a decent intercept with Kerbin, but I didn’t have enough fuel to get back into orbit and I couldn’t aero brake efficiently enough because, again, no heat shield. I simply changed my trajectory and opted to crashing directly into the planet. I had planned to go into the sea but everything I was doing was on the dark side so I was headed at 3000 meters per second towards a mountain range. I was going downwards much too fast and just couldn’t deploy my drogues before the reentry was up so I did it during the reentry. And… despite all odds… I did manage to land safely back on Kerbin.

Was it worth it? Probably not. Did it feel pretty cool? Absolutely.

Jeb is a trooper.

59 minutes ago, NexusHelium said:

I forgot my heat shield on the lander.

Ah yes, that old chestnut.  Almost tied with 'forgot to bring an antenna' as things to make you go 'ARG!' in the middle of a mission.

In other news... the adventures of Big Henry continue!

Went back to the ship and used its remaining stages to visit the beautiful Pol.

And then Bop. 

Had just enough fuel to land on Bop and end Big Henry's epic tour of the Jool system. 

Afterwards, I got the mission to sample Jool's atmosphere, so I used the Big Henry launcher to send Bill on a one-way mission to probe the depths of Jool's atmosphere in a glider.

Tried to see if I could slow myself enough to glide into the depths but ended up imploding about 18k from the surface. Rest in peace, Bill Kerman.

Edited by Xacktar

Started that mission to Duna. Pretty basic spacecraft in two launches (and intercepts, without an alarm clock I was inspecting PE times) but Duna is easy mode so there's really no need for extravagance. That janky lander needed to be lofted from Kerbin to avoid overheating, much higher launch profile than I normally use.

sKdFg3E.jpg

Q3Mr43y.jpg

Edited by regex

I sent a probe to Eve (for science, obviously) and was left speechless.

KCMENVN.jpg

The visuals, the music, the ambient sound... There are still a fair few issues with the game, but the developers continue to knock it out of the park in this regard. Go see (and hear) it for yourself.

4 hours ago, Jarring6076 said:

Next up - docking.

I found docking much more pleasant in KSP2 than KSP1.  Some bugs have been reported with docking, which I haven't personally experienced yet.  But keep in mind the game is still 'EA'.  And hope you enjoy docking in KSP2 as much as I did!