KSP2 Release Notes - Hotfix v0.1.3.1

Intercept Games

5 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Yesterday's v0.1.3.1 Hotfix that was released on Steam accidentally included Steam's built-in DRM due to a misconfiguration on our end. KSP2 is DRM-free, just like KSP1.

An update was just pushed Steam to address this. Sorry for the headache!

Thanks for clearing that up! 

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I disagree.  Player numbers have been dwindling for some time now, and the only counts that the company can get are through Steam (as there are no metrics captured for Epic or direct-download from the store).  What better way to boost numbers than to force people back into using the launcher?

I think you're being way too pessimistic about the intentions of the devs; it's almost like you're spinning a conspiracy around everything that happens around this game. I know it's easy to say something like this after the fact (as it has been revealed to be a mistake), but I certainly wouldn't have assumed malicious intent on the side of the devs.

I fully side with Tom Scott on this one - "bet on incompetence (or in this case, the human ability to make a mistake) rather than malice".

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

the only counts that the company can get are through Steam (as there are no metrics captured for Epic or direct-download from the store)

This is misinformation.

The game reports metrics separately from the launcher to help with crash reports and such. We don't have a preference on what avenue you go down to play the game, or even if you skip the launcher entirely.

In the Early Access development video, when Nate's talking about how they're going to find that some assumptions they're making are incorrect[1], I'm thinking that the aversion to hotfixes might be one of those incorrect assumptions. I get not wanting to push out an update that inadvertently introduces new bugs, but I think it's kind of inevitable[2], and getting hundreds of eyes on it via the community has surely got to be better than relying just on the QA team who, presumably, is also working on QA for all of the roadmap features as well. Yeah, the hotfix yesterday introduced this DRM bug, but then today's hotfix fixed it. I dunno about everyone else, but I'm way more tolerant of new bugs assuming that frequent updates are being pushed out (like, once a week or more).

[1] https://youtu.be/XAL3XaP-LyE?t=29
[2] Even with the much longer delay between patches 2 and 3, a massive, easily reproducable game-breaking bug made it through

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Yeah, the hotfix yesterday introduced this DRM bug, but then today's hotfix fixed it.

It's important to note that the "hotfix" pushed to Steam today is not a version number change. The current latest version of the game is v0.1.3.1.

The build was misconfigured when pushed to Steam and so the update released today actually has no new lines of code.

9 minutes ago, Dakota said:

The game reports metrics separately from the launcher to help with crash reports and such.

Would you also get reports from (future) modded games? Because I would imagine that could easily end up being confusing when a mod caused the game to crash.

23 hours ago, TickleMyMary said:

EDIT... Get rid of the launcher too, it's unnecessary, intrusive and is yet another thing (among many) that is stopping me launching the game. You've sold us the game, give us months of trouble and now you want to dictate how we launch the ruddy thing! Like, just stop it and focus on making the GAME everyone is here for instead of tweaking daisies and deciding to wholly rework how you present planets a few weeks after launch.

That’s probably more on the publisher side of things. Doubt they can control that.

3 hours ago, Davidian1024 said:

But they're not forcing people back into using the launcher.

I don't know about you but in my book "using the launcher even when people try to bypass it" pretty much is forcing people to use the launcher.

43 minutes ago, Delay said:

I think you're being way too pessimistic about the intentions of the devs; it's almost like you're spinning a conspiracy around everything that happens around this game. I know it's easy to say something like this after the fact (as it has been revealed to be a mistake), but I certainly wouldn't have assumed malicious intent on the side of the devs.

By now there's a pretty long and consistent history of misdirection, overinflated promises and underwhelming delivery. There's also pretty damning Steam stats which I'm sure management keeps an eye on as well. If on the one hand we hear Intercept constantly repeat "the game is GREAT! It's a JOY to play!"  while Steam stats suggests player support for the game is cratering, there's going to be questions from stakeholders on how progress on the game is doing. I don't think it's out of this world to assume intent over this "error," even when it's reverted after community backlash. When customers who paid a royal price for the product are getting cynical, don't be too rash with saying "well well well, don't be cynical." I don't think the blame for that lays with customers.

Edited by Kerbart

13 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

By now there's a pretty long and consistent history of misdirection, overinflated promises and underwhelming delivery.

Note that underhandedly introducing DRM via Steam's update configs is not on the list. Kerbal Space Program thrived because of mods, and KSP 2 will most likely be no different. If this change was intentional it would be more that one shot in the foot.

Plus, you'd have to shut down all other avenues for legally purchasing the game for the Steam metrics argument to even make sense.

43 minutes ago, Delay said:

Would you also get reports from (future) modded games? Because I would imagine that could easily end up being confusing when a mod caused the game to crash.

Eh, it will be clear in the game log.

And, the first thing any user should be doing after a crash, is to launch again without mods to see whether the problem still occurs or not. Only then report if it persists. 

17 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

If you want hotfixes but also want to be rabid about issues immediately after said hotfix, you are just shooting yourself in the foot. Give it some time to shake out lol.

I think that everyone would be happy if there were no reasons for hotfixes.

52 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I don't know about you but in my book "using the launcher even when people try to bypass it" pretty much is forcing people to use the launcher.

I was unaffected by this mistake.  Because of the particular way I was bypassing the launcher.

When I bypass it I know I'm not using the product as intended.  So, I expect to have issues.  I'm using it in a way that is not supported.

I think they should be applauded for being so quick to fix this.  And honestly, to fix it at all.

The devs are truly going out of their way by "fixing" an issue that prevents us from using their product in a-not-as-intended way.  I think this demonstrates that their intentions are truly virtuous.

38 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

And, the first thing any user should be doing after a crash, is to launch again without mods to see whether the problem still occurs or not. Only then report if it persists. 

Ah, see, the way I understood it that there was an automated system sending debug information in case of any crash.

2 hours ago, Delay said:

I fully side with Tom Scott on this one - "bet on incompetence (or in this case, the human ability to make a mistake) rather than malice".

Well, I'll just remind you that the track record of the company is working against it.  Years of broken promises have eroded trust, coupled with a buggy early access release that was nothing close to what they said was nearly finished a few years ago.  You'll have to forgive me if I don't quite trust the company when stuff that looks shady happens.

On that note, I have been corrected.  The only numbers WE can see are on SteamDB; the company themselves, apparently, gets loads of data from the game itself.  Which begs the question:  knowing this now, I'm sure this is in the EULA about the game collecting data...but is there a way to turn this off?

Will or is there a feature to aim or focus the camera at a specific part in Kerbal Space Program 2?

Is there a plan to introduce a first-person camera view and detailed interior spaces in the game? If so, when can we expect these features to be implemented?

Could you consider remaking the left-click parts menu so that it is organized per part rather than per vessel? The current menu displays too many options at once, and organizing it per part would be more intuitive and user-friendly.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, Spicat said:

I don't think it's intentional, but I will wait before an official communication to have an opinion about this.

Thank you for being the one reasonable person in all this and also the only one who correctly surmised that they did it by mistake.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:22 PM, Alexoff said:

I think that everyone would be happy if there were no reasons for hotfixes.

Everyone would also be happy if unicorns were real and farted gold dust but if we keep wishing like this, eventually we'll get into the impossible.

Edited by Superfluous J

Yeah was going to write some nice words about the redone maneuver markers, then I tried docking and return Mun mission.

So after landing on the Mun I departed and plotted intercept course to mothership, two times my orbital speed gets zeroed and there is no orbital lines. Lastly the mothership decided to change orbit to collision course to the mun, just like that. 

I remind the developers, orbital mechanics is the core of KSP, if you are unable to to implement it, look at KSP1. Its done there!

PFfff. Slowly understanding that KSP will be only one for ever... Shame

5 hours ago, didkodidko said:

Yeah was going to write some nice words about the redone maneuver markers, then I tried docking and return Mun mission.

So after landing on the Mun I departed and plotted intercept course to mothership, two times my orbital speed gets zeroed and there is no orbital lines. Lastly the mothership decided to change orbit to collision course to the mun, just like that. 

I remind the developers, orbital mechanics is the core of KSP, if you are unable to to implement it, look at KSP1. Its done there!

PFfff. Slowly understanding that KSP will be only one for ever... Shame

They're making steady progress. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer.

But, yes, my last two missions have ended exactly like you describe there with those two bugs. Really frustrating.

On 7/1/2023 at 11:51 PM, Superfluous J said:

Everyone would also be happy if unicorns were real and farted gold dust

Please speak in your own name. I never understood people's obsession with unicorns specifically. Manticores, rakshasas and djinns are way cooler. Also, the novelty of farted gold dust would dwindle quickly, because it would rapidly lose value due to sudden abundance...