KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

1 hour ago, stephensmat said:

Should I uninstall the game tonight, have a clean install ? I wonder if patching one on top of another might cause some minor file to be 'lost in translation' when a complete reinstall might be cleaner...

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but I know reinstalling was sometimes a solution to glitches and problems. Are there any thoughts on which one gives you the better result?

While reinstalling can fix problems, reinstalling to make sure there are no problems isn't really all that warranted.

If you use Steam and "verify files" says everything's okay, then your install is just like it was reinstalled.

Welp, first impressions for me are in on the new update.

Science system is nice, and my ships didn't randomly blow up from normal operations. Performance feels fine, but its still early in the save and I haven't launched anything with higher part counts. I'm really liking the QoL of experiments just gathering and not relying on me having to constantly monitor "can I trigger it yet". Thermals mechanically are fine, although it feels a bit overtuned with the lack of starting heat shield option. Don't like how the science point counter is permanently glued up in the top right though, it covers up part of the resource menu, and I really don't need to see that when I'm trying to fly a mission, hoping its just a UI oversight/bug.

I do gotta say though, these thermal effects kind of suck. Visually they look very goopy, the sounds no good, and parts lost to thermal stress just sorta go *poof* with a tiny sound and no real flare. They're not covered in artifacts the way the KSP1 entry effects were, but I almost feel like they're too static and sloppy now - Goopy is what I used, because it looks like there's just a vague smear of 'hot' as opposed to an actual feeling of a fireball. The glow the smear gets is nice though, I'll give it that. I'll absolutely take it over nothing, but this really feels like it falls flat compared to the presentation we get with things like the engine plumes. Good first step, but needs more work - Being a visual aspect, I'm less worried about this though.

All in all this does feel like I actually have some incentive to keep playing and progressing a save, so we'll see how the rest of the game stability and bugs holds up as I start to actually run the campaign.

14 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

You can disable paige in settings now! Under cadet orientation

Must be glitchy, then. I created two new saves - the first time, I ensured I had that setting disabled and P.A.I.G.E. showed up anyway. Then I created a second new save, again disabling that setting, and this time it stayed gone.

Anyway, first impressions are that it's good to have a reason to do stuff now, although the Mission Control status reports are kind of juvenile/kid-centric in tone. I don't expect experienced KSP people will find that that amusing but if it helps new players, I guess they're fine.

I'm also somewhat concerned that the tech tree needs more nodes/depth to it.  I've made exactly three launches so far and unlocked all but one node in the first two tiers.  I expect there will need to be some rebalancing and fleshing out here, but my comment/observation may be obviated once colonization and IRSU parts become part of the game.

Performance seems great so far though I have yet to try to build anything very complex. I'm a little bit concerned that some of the physics glitches inherent in the release version through the first couple patches don't seem to be working completely, at least when loading up an old save. I've got a ship landed on Duna in one of those saves, and as soon as I load up that save, one of the large landing gear just falls off and the ship falls over. Lolverykerbal and all that, but I had hoped the part-attach physics had been ironed out by now. Oh well. 

4 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

I'm also somewhat concerned that the tech tree needs more nodes/depth to it.  I've made exactly three launches so far and unlocked all but one node in the first two tiers.  I expect there will need to be some rebalancing and fleshing out here, but my comment/observation may be obviated once colonization and IRSU parts become part of the game.

My hope is that the first two tiers are kinda easy so new players can get through them, and the later tiers are where science starts to kick but we will see. I can't really play science on a decent setup for like two weeks anyways which is sad

I created a thread specific to my thoughts regarding 0.2; you can read all about them here:

And I encourage everyone to weigh in there with your thoughts, whether they are about 0.2 or about my thoughts!  Or about others' thoughts!  Or about thoughts of thoughts!

How is docking in KSP2? Does the game have adequate tools to allow you to match the orbit of another object, and then to dock? In KSP 1, I've always enjoyed manual piloting and especially docking. Nothing against MechJeb; I just like docking myself.

Similarly, I saw that someone made a nice space station, which is one of my favorite things to do in KSP 1. I just like docking with stations and building them up. Is all that feasible in KSP2?

I'll probably buy the game during the current 20% off sale on Steam. KSP1 is one of my favorite games of all time, so I've been planning to get KSP2, but I've been waiting for it to mature a bit. It sounds like maybe now is a good time. 

2 minutes ago, Mister Spock said:

How is docking in KSP2?

Awesome.  Works great.  

One snag is that when you target the other vessel's docking port, the distance still seems to be to the center of the target vessel, not the targeted docking port.  But everything else seems to work really well.

I’m wrong so often that I rarely get to say “I told you so,” so I’m going to do it now! 

I’ve been saying from the start that sentiment will turn around when the game gets better. And here we are! :happy:

It must feel amazing to be able to hit the holidays on such a high note. Thanks for everything IG and especially @Dakota and the other CMs who have been doing a grueling and thankless job for almost a year. I have a very good feeling about things going forward and I trust 2024 will be a lot more fun for everybody!

I can’t wait to play FOR SCIENCE! when I get home and am SO looking forward to the upcoming milestones too! 

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Kids, don't attach the SRBs to launch clamps and release them in the same stage as firing.

The explosions were phenomenal.

“Don’t try this at your own space center” levels of phenomenal?

4 hours ago, stephensmat said:

Just finished a three hour play session, and I can honestly say: This is what I was waiting for! (This, and Colonies. The second that happens, we're beyond the frontier of KSP1.)

I’m waiting for Interstellar.  The second it drops I am lightning a really big candle and not looking back.

42 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I had such a good run.

Until a docking attempt. The markers are wobbly, and the bloody things won't connect no matter what. Reloading resulted in second craft being sent at 200m/s away from the other one for some reason.

If you can recreate it, file a bug report.  

On 12/19/2023 at 4:15 PM, chefsbrian said:

Welp, first impressions for me are in on the new update.

Science system is nice, and my ships didn't randomly blow up from normal operations. Performance feels fine, but its still early in the save and I haven't launched anything with higher part counts. I'm really liking the QoL of experiments just gathering and not relying on me having to constantly monitor "can I trigger it yet". Thermals mechanically are fine, although it feels a bit overtuned with the lack of starting heat shield option. Don't like how the science point counter is permanently glued up in the top right though, it covers up part of the resource menu, and I really don't need to see that when I'm trying to fly a mission, hoping its just a UI oversight/bug.

I do gotta say though, these thermal effects kind of suck. Visually they look very goopy, the sounds no good, and parts lost to thermal stress just sorta go *poof* with a tiny sound and no real flare. They're not covered in artifacts the way the KSP1 entry effects were, but I almost feel like they're too static and sloppy now - Goopy is what I used, because it looks like there's just a vague smear of 'hot' as opposed to an actual feeling of a fireball. The glow the smear gets is nice though, I'll give it that. I'll absolutely take it over nothing, but this really feels like it falls flat compared to the presentation we get with things like the engine plumes. Good first step, but needs more work - Being a visual aspect, I'm less worried about this though.

All in all this does feel like I actually have some incentive to keep playing and progressing a save, so we'll see how the rest of the game stability and bugs holds up as I start to actually run the campaign.

On the overtuned heat, I kind of agree we have no indication of heat until  suddenly it is  very close to dangerous level. I think indications should start sooner at least.

I see a lot of news in the discord widget.

We have our next three star systems planned out

Next three, one DebDeb, one planned for second to last part of EA, and one more by the looks of it.

Fonts are being reconsidered right now for this reason.

This reason being accessibility.

The more fleshed out trip planner is in the works.

Future looks brighter than I thought.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Next three, one DebDeb, one planned for second to last part of EA, and one more by the looks of it.

I sincerely hope those three star systems are the limit. If KSP2 has too many solar systems, it'll lead to many, many players being overwhelmed, especially ones like me who feel a compulsion to land on every body in the solar system. I'm fine with addons or DLCs adding whatever they want, but I hope there aren't too many star systems in the stock game. 

I would say that 4 or 5 additional systems is the most that can be reasonably added into the base game - because there's only so much variety you can have while staying somewhat true to physics and trying to be original (nobody wants a 7th Mun, or 3rd Duna, do they?)

There's two sides of this though: the rest can be absolutely be optional for people who want even more, but I would expect some minimal repetition. Then again, the game is supposed to be developed for a long time even after 1.0. They can't just keep spewing low quality content, but there should be some content anyway.

And then, hundreds or thousands of systems didn't stop several space games of the last decade. They work with countless places to see, that can't be denied. But what also can't be denied, is that these thousands aren't handmade, so there is a lot of repetition.

There's pros and cons for both options.

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I would say that 4 or 5 additional systems is the most that can be reasonably added into the base game - because there's only so much variety you can have while staying somewhat true to physics and trying to be original (nobody wants a 7th Mun, or 3rd Duna, do they?)

I think there’s room for loads more! There are just so many different kinds of things out there that have or might have planets!

Red dwarfs, white dwarfs, close-orbiting binaries, distant binaries, triple stars, neutron stars, black holes, rogue planets, young stars, dying stars, blue giants, stars in nebulas, and so on and so on. I think the game could have dozens and not get repetitive!