[1.12.x] CryoEngines Extensions - New methane and hydrogen engines! 汉语 & 日本語!

Kavaeric

CryoEngines Extensions

English - 中文 - 日本語 - Español - Française - Português - Pусский

CryoEngines Extensions is a parts pack mod that adds 11 new Restock- and Near Future-alike methalox and hydrolox engines. Designed to integrate with Nertea’s popular CryoEngines mod, it aims to extend the range of vessel and mission design possibilities.

Download (v1.0.2)

• Download from CKAN (recommended install method).
  • Alternatively, manual download available via SpaceDock. Please ensure you understand all required dependencies and compatibilities prior to installation. My ability to help with bad or incorrect installs is limited.

screenshot1_wide_Custom.jpg

Restockalike Paradise

11 fictional engines lovingly crafted, textured, and balanced to match the look and feel of Restock and Near Future parts while injecting fresh new visual flavour. Multiple size mounts and brand-new “end-cap” sustainer engine mounts are the cherry on top.

Methalox Roundup

Design a mission from start to finish using methalox as the sole fuel source. New methane-powered sustainer engines balance atmospheric and vacuum performance for your upper stages, while low-profile and cost-effective orbital engines bring methane power to your vacuum landers.

hestiaduna3_wide_Custom.jpg

Vacuum Fiends

The tiny 0.625m-size Yiqi and Hestia vacuum engines bring new cryogenic opportunities to even your smallest craft, while the Shikra and Owl find themselves in a niche previously occupied only by the likes of the Terrier and Poodle.

Cryogenic Super-Lifters

They’re expensive, run hot, and are barely controllable—but those who can tame these potent hydrolox lifters will find themselves in the company unmatched liquid bipropellant might.

KSP_x64_aiHuJG2nTz_wide_Custom.jpg

PfdDAX1.jpg KI2xYDN.png y1wxSRp.jpg
N5cXGn6.jpg jCkqJyT.jpg fod7URI.png

Screenshot gallery on Imgur

iVr3riH.jpg

Part spec sheet album on Imgur

spec_sheet_header_wide.jpg

Language Support

CryoEngines Extension includes localisation support with the following languages available:

• English [en-us] — by Kavaeric
  • 汉语(简)[zh-cn] — by Harker Perin, Kavaeric, Keinga
  • 日本語 [ja] — by Kavaeric, Mei Konishi
  • Español [es-es] — by @Nike1155
  • Française [fr-fr] — by Delta Varan
  • Português [pt-br] — by @Kari
  • Pусский [ru] — by @Zarbon44

If you think you can help with localisation, feel free to reach out to me in PMs. Some parts names, descriptions, or labels may require additional context to translate properly.

Support & Thanks

Special thanks to the modding community for helping me through my first modding journey, with a shoutout to @triple cheeseburger for testing, ongoing advice, and supplying some of the wonderful screenshots above—check out her Supplementary Electric Engines mod while you’re at it.

Making models, texturing, testing, and balancing takes a lot of time and effort. Send a token of appreciation my way via Ko-Fi if you like what I do!

FAQ

• Will you add a new part or variant that I want?

There’s always a possibility I will want to adjust or expand more on this mod, but don’t hold your breath. As of right now I consider this mod feature complete.

• Does this mod support [X] mod that I have? Will you write a patch for it?

Chances are it’s out of the scope of what I want to do with this as a straightforward parts mod that otherwise doesn’t include any new gameplay mechanics. You’ll probably have better luck talking to the owners of that mod instead.

• I make recreations of real-life spacecraft, is this mod right for me?

Although I took visual inspiration from photo references, none of these engines are meant to be analogues, faithful or stylised, of any real-life counterparts. They are fictional creations from yours truly.

• I don’t like the look/balance/plumes of some of these parts!

Not downloading or using this mod is free!

Licensing

• Code and configuration files are distributed under the MIT license.
  • Art assets, including models and textures, are distributed under an All Rights Reserved license.
  • Any bundled mods are distributed under their own licenses.

Kristina Ness, art director of Kerbal Space Program 2, has seen my fursona.

Edited by Kavaeric
Update to v1.0.2; formatting

Wow, thank for doing this, this just looks great :) IMO that´s the best thing regarding to Cryogenics since we got the methalox-expansion of the original mod. Thank you for doing this :) What a surprise.

And again: I looks like KSP 1 beeing in it´s final version now is a motivator to work on new mods and rework older ones.

Really: Thank you.

Very cool, look forward to using it!

Spoiler

FOR KAVAERIC (I would also like to apologise for offending you on the KSP discord server, that was pretty cringe of me so idk, forgive me if you want.)

17 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

Can I use it without the original Cryogenic Engines mod? Would be great to know.

I've not tested it personally, but from what I understand it's what actually gives the resource definitions, not to mention a lot of the other dependencies that this mod shares with the original CryoEngines. Gameplay-wise the original will also feel more well rounded.

On 9/4/2023 at 9:04 PM, Blufor878 said:

Playing with these new engines. Awesome stuff!

If I had one critique, it's that some of the engines seem mildly overpowered. But if that's the intent, I won't complain.

Hope you are enjoying them! As for the balance, I imagine that those are for the "hydrolox super-lifters"—namely the Kunlun and the Aso. They're intentionally super-powerful but also incredibly expensive and cost-ineffective. If you are playing on career with CTT they take a lot to get to (near the end of the rocketry tech branch) and are on tech par with some pretty nutty nuclear engines at that point.  I may look to adjusting their balance in future but right now I think the fact they're just so hard to reach in career makes them okay right now.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, EnderiumSmith said:

The Hestia is very useful as the hecate is much too big for probes. What is it based on? And what is that tank with 6 long tanks with foil?

Like all of these engines, it's an entirely fictional design. As for the tank, assuming you're talking about one of the screenshots in the OP, I think it's one of the multipurpose fuel tanks from Near Future Exploration?

Edited by Kavaeric

• 2 weeks later...