Introducing For Science! - Major Content Update Out in December

Intercept Games

Well, I will give the team credit, I had given up on Science this year and expected it as a February release, so you've beaten my expectation. I wouldn't exactly call it High Praise, as that expectation was in the gutters from the prior performance, but its there.

I can't say I'm impressed though. We were being lead to believe that Science was being rebuilt from the ground up in a new way to avoid the old "slap all the parts on and fly about" system that the old KSP science encouraged. And now what's being delivered to us after this extended wait, is exactly that, but with some bonus points for hitting Points of Interest. Even down to allowing some of the science value to be transmitted, and the rest of it needing to be recovered, in variable amounts for the different experiments. I was running this exact gameplay system yesterday over my lunch break in my KSP1 save.

I will however, give props to the one design addition that I think was absolutely worthwhile, the tabbed science tree. Assuming modders can (at some point in the future) add too the trees and add whole new tree's, you've quite possibly made a science system framework that's much more parts modder friendly.

I think for me, and others in this similarly 'not quite impressed' state, this update is gonna be leaning much more heavily on the stability and QoL changes. Having mechanical reasons to launch missions and favor parts over others, and having my ships not just fall apart, wobble themselves to death, deorbit, or decide that my docking port has run outta hugs juice, that will be what makes the patch for me. Achieve that, and you'll be at feature parity for everything except modding support, which is understandable.

If you guys can pull this off as presented and without any new or returning major game breakers, I'll probably be able to say that the games finally as good as, or better than, KSP1. If things are royally busted on launch and its a repeat of February, I worry it'd be the last straw for the wider community. Sucks to say this, but its gonna be a sink or swim moment for many.

I'll be honest, I haven't touched this game since the first patch after release.  With a total of 11 hours played (most of which spent fapping about with the new awkward VAB controls) I was kicking myself for not launching outside of steam so that it didnt count my hours and I could get a refund.  I was not expecting this update until at least after its release anniversary.  So, initially I was surprised and somewhat impressed by this news.  However, I will say that I had to remind myself that this is private division and take 2 that we are dealing with here.  The same publisher that forced them to release an early access that was not even in the same universe as the word "ready".  Kinda a bit convenient that this update comes right in time for Christmas spending.  I'd be willing to bet that this update will not be delayed simply because it's a hard internal date from their employer.  So I somewhat expect the update to have the same level of unreadyness as the first release.  But, some praise is in order.  At least we will have something to do in the game that can hopefully span the time between further updates.  Hopefully as we start to slender the bug report list, the team can push out content updates increasingly quicker in the future with a stable base to build upon.  Update aside I could honestly care less about the content progression when the things that frustrate me the most is the lack of QOL parity between the games.  A sequal that didnt even think to include per stage delta V planning or delta V based on conditions/location?  Dont want to be a buzzkill but I'll remain uninterested until proven otherwise.  We were sold for 3 years on the same brief info and Screenshot drop tactics that gave us the first release...  I will not fall for it again.  Just..... Impress me

8 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

In December, we'll release a major content update for Kerbal Space Program 2!

It's kinda sad that these announcements do not excite me anymore. Not at all. My first thought here is "with the usual delays that'll be January. And then it's so close to February that, to "celebrate" the one year anniversary, it'll be delayed to late February. And then there are some last minute bugs... So really, March."

(Please note all images are work in progress!) 

[Sarcastic laughter]. Does that mean it's from the game that's in production? Not sure how WIP differs from what we've paid for so far.

The days of stress-free atmospheric re-entry will come to an end with atmospheric re-entry heating and thermal behavior for parts

I don't think any part of flight is stress free. You never know when the game decides to go berserk on your craft. What you really mean is "on top of the 500 ways the game will destroy your craft without warning, we've now added re-entry heating!"

We want you to be able to continue the campaigns you start in December through all future colony, interstellar, and resource-gathering updates.

Let's be real honest here. At the moment, he biggest threats to long running campaigns are:

• Rage quitting
  • Game save file blowing up (or game stops working due to registry file size limits)
  • Boredom because lack of new content

I think we're far, far away from the game offering enough to explore to keep a campaign running longer than in between the annual milestone updates, when the game is barely stable enough to support a single round trip mission to the Mun.

On the whole it's good to see that the game is moving forward. I can understand why the dev team is proud and enthusiastic about the new features. Just bear in mind that many in the community have grown tired of empty over-hyped promises and will be a bit more reserved about it, until we see actual in-game footage.

35 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Is this long term or short term solution? 

They are not calling it a solution. Dissect IG's words as if you're a high paid attorney and draw your conclusions.

5 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Does that mean it's from the game that's in production? Not sure how WIP differs from what we've paid for so far.

While the rest of the post is blatant sarcasm, I'm just gonna point at this: EVERYTHING that has not been officially released counts as work in progress. Period, end of story.

1 hour ago, chefsbrian said:

If you guys can pull this off as presented and without any new or returning major game breakers, I'll probably be able to say that the games finally as good as, or better than, KSP1. If things are royally busted on launch and its a repeat of February, I worry it'd be the last straw for the wider community. Sucks to say this, but its gonna be a sink or swim moment for many.

I agree. They promised something that changes the game. They delivered something that was the same. I am pretty sure this is never going to be revisited ever, so, I guess we might get an update that may come in March or April that wont change the system and will come with so many bugs that it will drive off the entire community back to ksp1 and the devs will say, sorry, my fault *hehe*

I'm happy we are moving forward but there was a time when I had hope that the science system was reworked to be a bit more like kerbalism for the collection process. Also I was hoping for a mission based part unlocking system.

58 minutes ago, kirmie44 said:

I'm happy we are moving forward but there was a time when I had hope that the science system was reworked to be a bit more like kerbalism for the collection process. Also I was hoping for a mission based part unlocking system.

It looks like it is. In the science window you can see some timers

5 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

Is this long term or short term solution? 

I'd call it a medium term solution, and one that we will be constantly reviewing as creations get bigger and bigger - we cant "joint for ever" . We spent time before going this direction to validate it was the right step with this games architecture and define variations/alternates/options that will be considerations of the future as well