Introducing For Science! - Major Content Update Out in December

Intercept Games

5 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

With this update there will also be significant improvements to quality of life and <_o-fip-hl style="background-color: #FFE53E !important; color: #222 !important; border-radius: 2px !important;">performance!

Depending on how good this improvement is, I may be getting this game for Christmas. But please, for the love of God, don’t ruin this. This may be the only way KSP 2 becomes something enjoyable and actually worth paying for. 

1 minute ago, wpetula said:

Is the entire tech tree encompassed by that one screenshot?

No, in the video you can see Nate briefly switching through multiple pages. I think they have different backgrounds,  the one in the screenshot is the Mun, the one briefly seen in the video has a Duna background. I guess they represent some sort of "progression".

7 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

I watched the livestream, and then read this post.

It is still unclear to me how these systems are not just KSP1 science. Like not even a remix, just two small gameplay changes: Some parts are bigger and have mass, and there's a button to collect all science at once.

As for the wobble fix: First off YAYYYY. Second off, sadly the "fix" is not a deletion, which would be the real fix. Wobble is nothing but bad game and engine design showing through the cracks.

On hiring blackrack: Hell yes.

Also Nate said "This weeks 0.1.5", something to say about that?

This is true, but, this is also the first announcement. I would expect more info as we get closer to release. I wouldn't even be too upset of it was basically KSP1 science, personally, at least it'll give us a little bit of direction in the game, something to do.

Also, these 'discovery areas' Nate mentioned (I think that was the phrasing - areas where you get a bit of a science bonus, in KSP1 terms I guess it'd be 'anomalies'?) - I wonder if they're in the game now, or if they're being added in the For Science! update?

1 minute ago, RalphKerman said:

No, in the video you can see Nate briefly switching through multiple pages. I think they have different backgrounds,  the one in the screenshot is the Mun, the one briefly seen in the video has a Duna background. I guess they represent some sort of "progression".

Maybe you can only unlock certain tech by going to certain bodies?

6 minutes ago, Safarte said:

Nope, there are other tabs that were shown in the trailer shown at Space Creator Day.

Could you share the timestamp in the Livestream where the trailer is played, or a video of the trailer itself? If not, no problem.

6 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

Also, these 'discovery areas' Nate mentioned (I think that was the phrasing - areas where you get a bit of a science bonus, in KSP1 terms I guess it'd be 'anomalies'?) - I wonder if they're in the game now, or if they're being added in the For Science! update?

Discoverables is the term we use. 

You all need to curb your excitement a tad bit. This announcement is coming from a company that has yet to ever hit a scheduled date for anything, and sold this entire fail of game using screens just like this, using the same channels they've linked as way to sell the shell of a game that had more bugs than content... I think expecting this release to come out on time and not riddled with bugs that make most of the new content impossible to enjoy is still quite a bit premature...

22 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

I am not sure how to interpret the tech tree screenshot. The top row has "Mun Landing" as an 80 point "technology" in it, but you don't "buy" a Mun Landing, you achieve it via the technology you have bought and resarched in the other parts of the tree. So why would it "cost" 80 points to unlock? Or is that a description of technology you absolutely need to be able to land on the Mun and that technology costs 80 points?

And there appear to be 4 pages of tech tree for now (guessing by the 4 numbers on top and the scrollbar in the bottom).

21 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

I wouldn't even be too upset of it was basically KSP1 science, personally, at least it'll give us a little bit of direction in the game, something to do.

You'd understand that's a subjective position, and that other people would understandably be anywhere from disappointed to mad after paying $50 for basically science part mods (that one's just an example), one QOL improvement (gather everything at once), and a config change (infinite sample storage).

26 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

This is pretty much all but confirmed to be this way thanks to how they explained Colonies, Logistics and progression back in the AMAs.

Here's a livestream link for Nate's presentation: 

Since it's still going, I can't link to the timestamp, but, at the time of this post, it's about one hour and 20 minutes behind realtime.

Anyway, I was smiling throughout pretty much the whole thing. December is honestly sooner than I thought, and 0.1.5.0 coming out THIS WEEK was a huge and welcome surprise! The hype train is about to hit 88 miles per hour

I agree with PDCWolf.

It would be  very cool to see science experiments to actually take time to perform and consume a resource (say EC). Yes, Kerbalism style.
The brilliant level would be if it also required some situations or other resources (be in a polar orbit only, dayside only; mine ore the same time the experiment is performing, etc). Yes, full Kerbalism style - personally I love it.

Also modders have already dug out (months before) the time constraint for experiments. That makes me believe.

Otherwise its not that fun to simply click a button and get instanteneous science points.
(Perhaps it also could be toggable in difficulty settings? Or is it too much?..)

Edited by atomontage
clarified the finding

I personally want to hear about the QoL things that are being addressed.
Stuff like per stage TWR missing in the VAB and the dV regularly showing 0 or just wrong values are some incredibly basic things that new players need to be successful without looking up info outside of the game. I hope these are the kinds of things that are being fixed up. 

2 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I personally want to hear about the QoL things that are being addressed.
Stuff like per stage TWR missing in the VAB and the dV regularly showing 0 or just wrong values are some incredibly basic things that new players need to be successful without looking up info outside of the game. I hope these are the kinds of things that are being fixed up. 

Yeah that's good to see, it's good to see those complaints were listened to. I honestly think that was just a bit of an oversight on their part.