"Great American Eclipse" II: April 8 2024

I don't live in an area that will see totality, but it's supposed to hit a peak at over ~90% in less than 2 hours or so. Apparently the difference between 90 and 100% is day and night (pun intended), but I'm just glad I live somewhere that sees any part of the eclipse.

Just now, Spaceception said:

I don't live in an area that will see totality, but it's supposed to hit a peak at over ~90% in less than 2 hours or so. Apparently the difference between 90 and 100% is day and night (pun intended), but I'm just glad I live somewhere that sees any part of the eclipse.

Enjoy the diamond ring! 

Success! Clouds on and off, but we got to see totality in hole. Nail-biting, watching the clouds. I also had my telescope, and looked at it during totality (and partial phases through filter). Prominences were good in binoculars.

From my vantage there was a tiny point of bright yellow /orange light on the south limn of the moon.  Guessing it was a mountain or trench. 

Corona was cool - although partly hazed out by high clouds. 

Wifey poo and spawn fully enjoyed the experience!

So glad I did this! 

I wish I still had my newtonian telescope and solar filter. I would have liked to have watched this with it. My brain forgot the lensese don't magnify it... Somehow I didn't mentally process that part. What is the biggest telescope with a solar filter that could watch this? did any large telescopes watch this with good detail and record it?

Edited by Arugela

We are already arguing about alternative routes home. 

Past experience telling me to be aggressive about the route - Wife 1.0 insisting Google knows best. 

Google doesn't know what I know - it's only gonna get worse. 

Take that, AI underlord! 

The sky broke.  
Then my brain broke.  

Truly amazing.  

Got some decent shots of totality.       Clearly noticeable solar flares.    (Those bright red spots you saw with your naked eye) 

We’re already planning the trip to Morocco.  

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

From my vantage there was a tiny point of bright yellow /orange light on the south limn of the moon.  Guessing it was a mountain or trench

Everybody where I was saw it too. I'm'a google it later.

That was awesome!

I was afraid that the cloud cover would be more dense than anticipated but it turned out to be ok.

I took a few photos with my camera (300mm aps-c) (no filter so no partial phase)

qHCi3AJ.jpeg

tU9zXe9.jpeg

Safe travel to everyone going home!