What can be backported to KSP1?

Can any of the planetary bodies be backported to KSP1? They have a lot more detail.

At this point, the best outcome I see for KSP2 is to backport as much stuff as they can, and offer it as a KSP 1 DLC (free to those who purchased  KSP2, so as not to burn all bridges)

2 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Can any of the planetary bodies be backported to KSP1? They have a lot more detail.

At this point, the best outcome I see for KSP2 is to backport as much stuff as they can, and offer it as a KSP 1 DLC (free to those who purchased  KSP2, so as not to burn all bridges)

Given that the games use totally different version of Unity, and the first game was a bit of a mess in terms of coding, I *doubt* it's practical to do.

I'm sure they can export a height, normal, and color map, to make a KSP1 version of the KSP2 planets.

Ksp1 often used heightmaps of 2048x1024, but I can confirm that 8192x4096 also work just fine (I have even gone higher)

So more detail can be added to stock bodies in KSP1

Just now, KerikBalm said:

I'm sure they can export a height, normal, and color map, to make a KSP1 version of the KSP2 planets.

Ksp1 often used heightmaps of 2048x1024, but I can confirm that 8192x4096 also work just fine (I have even gone higher)

So more detail can be added to stock bodies in KSP1

Some mods have done that, I'd argue JNSQ has the best planet textures of any Kerbal Space Program mod. However I've not really seen any substantial improvement to Kerbin itself. I'd love to see it, don't get me wrong.

My guess is that KSP2's PQS system has some procedural generation functions for close up detail that KSP1 lacks, so it wouldn't be a exact copy of the terrain- but still an improvement 

I also imagine some of the part models, like the larger landing legs, could be back-ported with little issue.

From what I have seen in the past for other games as long as you own the secondary game, and the back porting process requires copying such things over from that installation, then it is usually not something that gets a cease-and-desist letter, but there is no guarantee on that.

The goal of KSP 2 was "KSP 1 rebuilt with a sanitary codebase, and stock implementation of Far Future Technology". Not really possible to backport, especially the "you don't need mods for these future technologies" bit.

If it's over, we never get Colonies.

Hand on my heart, I never cared about resources, multiplayer, or interstellar.

Colonies I was looking forward to more than normal.

Even if we can reverse engineer the graphics, music, anomalies... we'll never have stock Colonies.

:cry:

someone could backport the easter eggs, i'd love to visit (view spoiler below)

Spoiler

the minmus monument and Mun or Bust crashed ship

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

What future tech does ksp2 currently have?

Is the codebase really more sanitary?

You missed the point. I'm not saying that's what it is now, I'm saying that was the goal they wanted to achieve and there's nothing that can be backported to KSP 1 that would help fulfill those goals; mods like ELP won't feel any less half baked.

Edited by Bej Kerman

4 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You missed the point. I'm not saying that's what it is now

Well, what they have now is what I am asking about back-porting.

One thing I really value is more detailed planets - smaller scale details. I like to play between 3 to 6.25x rescale, but the ksp1 terrain is not very detailed, and it especially shows when scaled up.

I would like to use KSP2's Duna in KSP 1

Ksp2 also had some bigger landing struts that I would appreciate in KSP1

Stuff like that doesn't have to go to waste

There's nothing that can be backported to KSP 1 that would help fulfill those goals;

They don't have to fill the colony/future tech goals to be desirable 

mods like ELP won't feel any less half baked.

Honestly, I never even tried them. Already getting ISRU made exploration so much easier. Colonies seem like such an easy-mode to me: drop a decent sized payload (colony starter( on mun or minmus, make rockets there - now you're halfway to anywhere in the Kerbal system, and can easily drop a payload big enough to start a colony anywhere else.

For interstellar travel, colonies seem to be much more important. I wouldn't want to send ever probe and lander from Kerbin - but without interstellar, I don't see a need for colonies

But maybe I am underestimating the challenge and fun.

Asi it is, I was never interested enough to try the mods.

I'm only thinking about it now because it's a feature that would have been part of KSP2, and I want to try the concept out, even if it packs polish and has a clunky UI

15 hours ago, Spicat said:

A proper UI/UX mod would be great (not just a reskin).

Yeah, the current ones are just reskins you've said. Nice but I surely perfer KSP2's UI over KSP1's.

I doubt that could be backported though, KSP1's basic UI layout has remain unchanged ever since the modding community was here, so it's probably deep inside the codebase and pretty hard to change.

20 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

without interstellar, I don't see a need for colonies

But maybe I am underestimating the challenge and fun.

I kind of thought the 'biggest bonus' from Colonies, aside from yes, "easy mode", was being able to launch wildly oversized, un-aerodynamic craft from an atmosphere-less surface.

4 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

Yeah, the current ones are just reskins you've said. Nice but I surely perfer KSP2's UI over KSP1's.

I doubt that could be backported though, KSP1's basic UI layout has remain unchanged ever since the modding community was here, so it's probably deep inside the codebase and pretty hard to change.

No, we've screwed with the UI a bunch of times. 

And, I love KSP's UI and probably more than KSP 2 but that's just my opinion.

Posted (edited)

I recently backported the soundtrack with the help of a mod and have really enjoyed it.

The menus and KSC buildings all sound exactly the same. The flight experience is near identical at launch (minus the 10 second countdown, which I am ok to omit) and I am currently working on adding dynamic music for each body based on a craft's altitude. It is not perfect. For example, the mod I work with has no ability to crossfade between 2 tracks when a scenario changes, creating an abrupt start/stop between dynamically layered tracks. There is also no musical feedback based on thrust input either. Still, I think it does the job of carrying on the amazing work of KSP2's composer to capture the same emotions I felt in the sequel. I hope that someday someone smarter than me can create a mod that allows for KSP2's dynamic sound design to reach the same level of complexity in KSP1.

I have not yet had time to investigate it, but I believe that other sound design elements such as UI sound effects, part sounds, etc could be implemented too. If done correctly, I think that this would be a great improvement to keep KSP1 feeling modern.

Edited by RileyHef

28 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

No, we've screwed with the UI a bunch of times. 

Mods have allowed for additional UI elements to be made, but the foundational pieces are very limited. I think this is what others are referring to here.

Take the altimeter, for example. It is stuck at the top of the screen. Mods allow for us to shift it from horizontally to the left or right, reskin the look, and include the same data in other areas, but no one can actually place the altimeter on the sides or bottom of the screen to match KSP2's layout.

50 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

I've managed to backport one of the glitches (reproduced three times in a row; no idea how I did it; haven't seen it again since), so that's one step done!

LOL

Ummm, it's ok if that one particular issue isn't backported.

Is this really the result of you trying to backport something from KSP2? Or is it just a modding induced KSP1 bug that superficially resembles a ksp2 bug?

On 5/4/2024 at 8:55 PM, KerikBalm said:

My guess is that KSP2's PQS system has some procedural generation functions for close up detail that KSP1 lacks.

I'm not so sure. 2 seems to have just as much of a stairstep coastline problem as 1, so if there's procgen stuff working on the fine details, it could be doing better.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's bits of KSP1's UI that pre-date unity's current UI framework.

18 hours ago, BrobDingnag said:

I've managed to backport one of the glitches (reproduced three times in a row; no idea how I did it; haven't seen it again since), so that's one step done!

ksp2.png

ksp22.png

ksp23.png

Is that Spectra without Scatterer? happy to see another person using the same unpopular config like me.

Anyways, this issue could be caused by Sushut's main menu mod if you have it installed, otherwise not sure.