What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Having got my launch, circularise and re-entry kOS scripts sorted I did my usual early game thing of a few tourist contracts to earn some cash...3 launches later I realised I'd accidentally set the kOS module to it's maximum setting and the craft was costing me 86k per launch instead of about 13k, not good when the contracts are paying 50k or so!  Oops

1sDZQFw.png

Picked up a contract to rescue some stranded climbers
TMctGwY.png
This is the craft I built to do the job with the rescue officer Joe Kerman and pilot Jebidiah Kerman.

uEsEuWI.png

Headed towards the mountian.

R1GtdGt.png

Picking up Armund first, he appears to be flying.

QGd6EPD.png

Landed on the mountain top.

WH7Aghe.png

Armund making his way to the rescue helicopter.

j9VciSJ.png

Jebediah practiced this rescue in the sim several times but we didn't consider the rescuees way to ingress. I haven't unlocked the extendo ladder yet.

BRMQo6i.png

Retract the gear, that'll do.

QA9NwQX.png

Armund on board, headed towards Tlul.

I1i3GNg.png

The rate of climb at this altitude isn't great.

OqKCViV.png

Eventually made it up to Tlul.

NXyH38q.png

Picked up Tlul.

tndU6X3.png

With the rescues on board. We RTB.

N2erlhg.png

On the way back to the KSC.

d428r8x.png

Theres on option to land on the VAB, give it a go for style points.

nkjLsU1.png

Lining up.

MYKydcV.png

Landed! Great success!

N8ukeNb.png

I launched some interesting looking stuff today!

Both are currently en route to their destinations
One lander to Thalia

alta3.png
Fun fact: The motto implies that there was another mission to Thalia that failed. There was not. The motto just sounded cool.

And one not-lander to Icarus
alta4.png
Fun fact: My game crashed 5 times during this

There was also a space telescope on Alta 4 to capture cool looking pictures and send them for science!!!!

Unfortunately it was installed backwards which means that it can't take pictures of planets.
oh-no.png

But it still gave me some science for some reason!
makes-sense.png

I wonder why.

Spoiler

gg1.png

Today, I finished working on this project :

For the occasion of Apollo 11 54th anniversary, I'm happy to present this video of the whole mission, entirely flown in First-person perspective (IVA), in RSS with RO.
Contrary to Apollo, the full mission here was done manually, except for the Earth ascent to orbit.
Also featuring synchronized Capcom audio all along, as well as rarer archive onboard crew recordings, which gives it sort of a documentary feel.

Due to those IVA limitations, I had to place maneuver nodes from the map view, which was the only time it was used.
Note that the CM and LM instruments and panel layouts are mostly accurate to the real ones, however the instruments are adapted towards KSP gameplay and capabilities. I also tweaked the IVAs a bit, so that the analog gauges display the actual fuels, instead of LF/Ox.

This was definitely a challenging and fun mission to do, as well as learning a lot about the outstanding Apollo 11 mission and its crew.
Enjoy ! Also any feedback appreciated :)
(Best watched with headphones)

Cheers

First Mun landing of this career.  I sent Jeb in case there was a problem with the kOS script and he had to fly any of the mission manually but it all ran fine.  In fact the only problem was the craft had too much DV and didn't need its final stage, which would have messed up the re-entry if the script was left to do it's thing as it wouldn't have fired the parachutes in the last stage, so I need to tweak the re-entry staging.

But this isn't a screenshot of the first landing, it's the second.  Once I'd got back up to Mun orbit I saved it and tried another landing (plenty of spare fuel!) to check a small tweak to the final descent code.  That flag however is the one Jeb planted on the first landing, so the precision's pretty good without using any correction on the final descent.  Just a shame it landed inside a rock :D

n9QxqTi.png

Wayfarer is on the Mun and already exploring one potential landing site for a temporary base.

image.png

It's made primarily to scout good spots for a series of extended stays on the surface, and eventually a permanent base site. Once its mission is over, it's designed to be easily disassembled by the base crew and packed away (hence its extremely compact design).

image.png

Today, I wrote a mission report about the video posted just a few posts above in this thread
Apollo 11 mission in Real Solar System with Realism Overhaul, only flown in First-person view (IVA), and manually !
It also turns out to be sort of a tutorial for using retro styles IVAs in the same flavor. : )

I really enjoyed making those "boards" (idk if the english word is correct^^) associating description, images and some Nasa diagrams to go along.
Any feedback or question appreciated ;) 
(below some example pictures ; click to enlarge)

lt0K3h1.png

GLrUP66.png

bQejDek.png

Cheers !

Edited by kurgut

On 7/18/2023 at 1:25 AM, kurgut said:

Also any feedback appreciated

"Mighty fine", most sincerely.  (My family is going to be asking why I use that particular phrase  in answer to any and every question as the next month goes by, I am quite sure.)

Really well done and produced,.

7 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

"Mighty fine", most sincerely.  (My family is going to be asking why I use that particular phrase  in answer to any and every question as the next month goes by, I am quite sure.)

Really well done and produced,.

Haha, Thanks a lot for you kind words : )

Mighty finely yours :D 

Today, I did nothing in KSP, except taking this screenshot, since it's the anniversary of the first steps on our beloved sattelite. :) 

O2T71kQ.png Happy Moon landing anniversary everbody !!KJ8Sk1x.png
Today is the historical day ! : )

NGQ91E1.png

I just made quick but extensive tutorial about the FDAI (navball) - Flight Director Attitude Indicator.

An incredible instrument ! First flown on Gemini, then Apollo, the Space Shutlle, and still used today ! : )

I talk about its history a bit, as well as its functionning, and then how it used in KSP retro styled IVAs, with some examples :) 

Cheers

Edited by kurgut

Today (and yesterday),

I've spent a whole orbit revolution onboard the ISS cupola (in RSS/RO), while listenening to some music. was incredible ! Seeing what astronaut would see, and Earth is just... beautiful, no other worlds.
It's with a heavy visual pack for RSS, with 64k ground textures, and cloud shadows (this makes it look very good and real, altough it eats RAM like a child eats cornflakes on breakfast).

Quite incredible to see some continent or country comin' up, then 5 minutes later it's gone... Wasn't bored one second, even in the night time, with city lights and thunderstorms. And to see 2 sunrise in less than 2 hours provokes a strange and beautful feeling (yes, even while playing a game it procured me that haha).

Some quick examples in the spoiler tab. I'd like to send my whole screenshot folder but... :D 
I'm also thinking about making a video, where I stay in the cupola during one orbit revolution, in real time, would this be enjoyable you think ? with some music in the background, and slight editing. Maybe some dialogues too (like the kerbal who I'm playing being amazed at the Earth).
Oh also i'm using freeIva mod, which allows my kerbal to move inside the cupola in IVA view.

kvmA9AV.jpg

Aral sea in Kazakhstan (today it has dried, since this mod's data is from before 2010), with a beautiful low pressure cell above it.
And East of it (so top left of the picture), this is Baikonour cosmodrome !

simDgjl.png

Spoiler

China:

GVLhQcI.png

River (has dried today too) that goes into the Aral sea:

0k8CTbg.png

Morocco/sahara:

9vWADOJ.png

Iberian peninsula and France :

mQ1paq6.png

Over Russia, seeing North Pole Aurorae

6wdYCaY.jpg

Australia:

9V0vXwP.png

KVtjU7M.png

Sunset over Pacific ocean:

WZRuqCB.jpg

Cities of Georgetown most likely, in Guyana.

gXuqfg2.jpg

I stop here, for now :D 

And the sunrise :

Cheers and let's take good care of this big pale blue dot. :) 

Edited by kurgut

Um, is there a KSP 1 world record book?  Because if there is, I think I have a valid chance at beating several of them.

I have video proof that I did this in stock KSP1 without any mods, just the expansions.

Screenshot_2023-07-25_104820.png

Edited by Olin Shaw

On 7/25/2023 at 8:25 AM, Olin Shaw said:

Um, is there a KSP 1 world record book?  Because if there is, I think I have a valid chance at beating several of them.

I have video proof that I did this in stock KSP1 without any mods, just the expansions.

Screenshot_2023-07-25_104820.png

The Kraken comes for us all at some point. :o