LEGO mod, can provide all models

TheNerdyOne_

I'm looking to create a mod that adds LEGO versions of some of the stock parts. While I can easily make the models, I have very little experience modding the game and failed miserably last I tried. I'm looking for somebody who would be willing to add the models/textures I provide to the game, and I can of course help out in whatever way possible.

Here's an example of some of the models.

F5tggjW.png

I'd hope to start out small, the first few steps on the tech tree perhaps, and continue from there if we get that far.

I love this idea.

And in theory, it's perfectly possible too; It should be as simple as replacing the model and texture, something already done by NecroBones with Color Coded Canisters to make the stock tanks look nicer: (using ModuleManager) http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104660

Since it's just cfg files, I imagine someone could write that up easily. If you want to look into doing it yourself (or anyone reading this), that might be a good place to look.

I'm getting better with MM, BUT you still have to run the models through Unity. @TheNerdyOne_ you do not make it clear if you are doing that too. Basically, do you need a Unity person too? I'm getting the hang of modulemanager finally, so i could overwrite the stock configs, but we'd need someone else to do the unity work (which I certainly cannot).

Thanks for the replies! Looks like Module Manager is definitely the way to go.

I'm getting better with MM, BUT you still have to run the models through Unity. @TheNerdyOne_ you do not make it clear if you are doing that too. Basically, do you need a Unity person too? I'm getting the hang of modulemanager finally, so i could overwrite the stock configs, but we'd need someone else to do the unity work (which I certainly cannot).

As of right now the models have yet to be run through Unity, but after watching a tutorial or two it doesn't look too far beyond my skill set. I should be able to get that done with a little time. If you're willing to help with the rest, that would be great!

Also, something I forgot to mention, one of the main reasons I'm trying to accomplish this now is to promote the LEGO Kerbal X project linked in my signature. The project only has 100 days remaining, so I would love to get a release going ASAP. Do you have an estimate on how long the Module Manager stuff will take, just so I know what to plan for?

If you can get the models done (I need the models and textures to target with MM) and send them to me in a standard mod installation package, I can do the MM overwriting on the stock models. I imagine it'll take a few days to a week depending on how many parts you have done and how much Murphy is gonna screw over my schedule.

If you can get the models done (I need the models and textures to target with MM) and send them to me in a standard mod installation package, I can do the MM overwriting on the stock models. I imagine it'll take a few days to a week depending on how many parts you have done and how much Murphy is gonna screw over my schedule.

Alright, that sounds great! I'll message the models to you as soon as I get the first batch done (which will probably just be most of what is pictures in the OP, with a few differences).

You CAN get sued for anything. WILL you get sued, and IF SO will you LOSE is the question. My guess is not. As is evidenced by the rampant success of megablocks and other 'lego-like' construction sets, the idea of blocks that stick together with little nubs on top is obviously not protected by patent or trademark, though certain elements are - the distinctive design of the lego mini-figures(which is why mega-block figures just suck!) and of course the name and logo. So I'd recommend calling it -Lego-like when you get ready to release the mod... and you could even step further away from the trademark and change the name LARGO? or just Jeb-Bricks? Lego would still have to prove that you were causing actual damages to be able to get anything from you in a suit. And they're pretty supportive of fan works actually. So I don't think there's a real legal worry!

Are you planning to make a MM config that replace the stock parts with LEGO?

Or are you planning to create it as an add-on mod that ADDS the LEGO parts but leaves the stock parts in the game, so you can pick on a case by case basis?

The Unity part isn't hard at all - once you've got the first one figured out the rest will just fly through. But if you do need help with that part, let me know!

Art

Edited by artwhaley

Can't you get sued for this?

You can get sued for anything.

Edit: okay, that is scary. I read the previous page (without artwhaley's post on it), plunked in my reply and posted it, only to find the exact same sentence in the previous and previously unread post. Great minds think alike, or something. A word for word match.

You CAN get sued for anything.
Edited by Camacha

I'm not too concerned about getting sued. The title probably won't mention LEGO anyway, I don't think that there's much to fear.

Are you planning to make a MM config that replace the stock parts with LEGO?

Or are you planning to create it as an add-on mod that ADDS the LEGO parts but leaves the stock parts in the game, so you can pick on a case by case basis?

The Unity part isn't hard at all - once you've got the first one figured out the rest will just fly through. But if you do need help with that part, let me know!

Art

The intention right now is to replace all stock parts using MM, essentially re-styling the entire game (or, at least the parts). If I do need help on anything, I'll be sure to let you know, thanks!

Can't you get sued for this?

I don't think so.

Or Bricks and others would get sued for stealing the concept too :P

EDIT:

didn't read this entire page.

Hopefully, this will get continued without legal problems.

Good luck, subbed to see the progress.

Edited by 2001kraft

Woudn't copyright be an issue or something?

Copyright is hazy for derivative nonprofit works. Pretty sure this is solidly "fair use". Trademark is still a danger though. If you want to be completely safe, just give the final mod a more generic title ("Spaceblocks" etc) when you release it.

• 6 years later...

@Fletch4 and @AtomicTech

There are reasons why it has been 6 years since the last post. LEGO is a registered trademark and cannot be used without express written permission from the company. The only reason why there are other companies that make compatible blocks is that they failed to renew their exclusive rights to the design many years ago. What you can do is make new textures for stock parts and if there are parts that currently surface attach, that you want to snap in to place, then write new configs that have node attach points where you want. Remember that if you cause parts of the same diameter to overlap that you will get texture bleed. Actually making new models that have studs I would leave to someone with a lot of patience as making them would take some decent effort and time. If you really want to do this I would reach out to the creators of the Restock mod for MM advice. You would have to call it LEGO LIKE or something more generic. In the meantime have a look at these.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1962/Everything is Awesome

https://spacedock.info/mod/1941/SpecialProject125715

11 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

There is a parts pack of lego parts, I'll see if I can find it

9 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

@Fletch4 and @AtomicTech

There are reasons why it has been 6 years since the last post. LEGO is a registered trademark and cannot be used without express written permission from the company. The only reason why there are other companies that make compatible blocks is that they failed to renew their exclusive rights to the design many years ago. What you can do is make new textures for stock parts and if there are parts that currently surface attach, that you want to snap in to place, then write new configs that have node attach points where you want. Remember that if you cause parts of the same diameter to overlap that you will get texture bleed. Actually making new models that have studs I would leave to someone with a lot of patience as making them would take some decent effort and time. If you really want to do this I would reach out to the creators of the Restock mod for MM advice. You would have to call it LEGO LIKE or something more generic. In the meantime have a look at these.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1962/Everything is Awesome

https://spacedock.info/mod/1941/SpecialProject125715

Thanks y'all!

On 11/26/2021 at 10:12 AM, Fletch4 said:

Oh my god. I have been a long time lego fan, and would love to see this mod implemented in-game. I have no past modding skills, but I might learn just to put this in.

See above.

I found the pack, it's called a 'Brick Mod".

I'll get it loading and will then post a link to it.  It's really old, not showing up in the editor at all, missing some fields

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.