Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

1 hour ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Ohhhh. UGH SPAMBOTS I HATE YOU SPAMBOTS

also what does 'pinned' mean?

Not a mod, but pinning a thread puts it at the top of its subforum regardless of activity, so important or noteworthy threads are easily visible. This thread is pinned, you can tell by the green pushpin next to its name here and in the subforum view.

22 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Is there a setting for the "ping" sound? Since the update I haven't gotten it.

It's not working right now. One of several little oddments which have cropped up due to forum software updates. 

17 minutes ago, NSEP said:

When is someone not considered a minor anymore, is it 13+ or 18+?

Based on the common least permissive regulation, I think it's 18-21.

1 hour ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Can there be a rule disallowing #3 in this thread?

Also, what can moderators do?

I don't frequent the Spacecraft Exchange but is that actually a problem? And moreso, does it actually work?

I think if someone posted a pic of a ship and said "100 likes and I'll post the craft file" they would at BEST get ignored, and most likely be laughed off the forum.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't frequent the Spacecraft Exchange but is that actually a problem? And moreso, does it actually work?

I think if someone posted a pic of a ship and said "100 likes and I'll post the craft file" they would at BEST get ignored, and most likely be laughed off the forum.

It's been a while since I was very active on the Spacecraft Exchange, but from what I remember posting craft files was something everyone did, but wasn't strictly necessary. If you posted one without a craft file, someone would probably ask, but your post wouldn't be ignored because of the lack of one. What people cared about was the images of the craft, at least for replicas. I think Cupcake and Rune's stuff got more downloads, since it was more functional. Some of the craft which I posted, and got many rep for, could not fly or work at all without cheats, so downloading it wouldn't give you an experience much different from looking at the pictures.

I made and posted those crafts because it was fun, and I enjoyed sharing them and seeing what others had made, and I would order the feedback I got in order of importance like this:

1. Someone using a technique of mine in something of their own
  2. Text replies
  3. Rep, likes
  4. Downloads of the craft file

If I had someone "ransoming" the craft files that they had made for money, I would think it was odd that they were even bothering to make it if they wanted a reward external to building it, and I would feel the same way about asking for rep. I do think asking for rep would discourage me and others from both "liking" the post and actually liking the craft. Honestly I would think the extra work of PM'ing everyone who "liked" it would not be worth the rep. 

1 hour ago, klesh said:

No, the poster to whom's post you liked receives it.

I see. I just liked your post, and it said you had 1,323 rep. But when I removed the like, it went to 1,322 rep.

4 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

What do the dots mean?

This:

On 5/9/2017 at 1:40 PM, Dman979 said:

The dots show how many posts you have. They scale up in increasing increments, but I don't think anyone has more than 5.

[...]

Although I believe they don't count posts in forum games.