Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

4 hours ago, Dman979 said:

How many warning points did you guys get before you became moderators?

That's a less simple question than it appears, as the scale has changed with the move to IPS. Warnings are usually 0-5 points now, with 5 resulting in queuing. Under vB they were typically 5-25pts, with 25 being a queuing and 0-point warnings being handled differently.

I think I may be the mod with the worst warning/infraction history, I had three warnings and one serious infraction before becoming a mod. The other mods had at most a warning or two, with most having clean records. 

Although I do not think I have ever had a post removed by a mod (as far as I can recall), if a moderator does remove a post, does the user's post count go down by the number of posts removed? I've noticed an increase in posts being removed in the last few weeks and wondered what happens...

20 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Although I do not think I have ever had a post removed by a mod (as far as I can recall), if a moderator does remove a post, does the user's post count go down by the number of posts removed? I've noticed an increase in posts being removed in the last few weeks and wondered what happens...

It doesn't, removed posts still count.

Edit - by the way, posts in some sub forums (I believe The Lounge and its subs, tho I'm not sure) don't count, removed or not. So, users who only hang around forum games may have their post count a lot lower than they expect. 

Edited by monstah

13 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I had one warn, but it was from before points were a thing. KasperVld said I was being too snarky. Which I was. :)

Careful, public discussion of moderator actions is against the rules and could get you another one... :wink:

3 hours ago, CAKE99 said:

How are members selected to become moderators?

In my case, @Red Iron Crown threw a dart at a board, and it landed in my name :wink:

Joking aside, I once expressed that, if they needed, I was available. Some things help: being around for awhile, being helpful, having time to dedicate to it, being fluent in another language (in my case, you can say I'm fluent in this language, since my own is Portuguese :P ) since there is an international section, having no infractions. None of these are required on their own, I think, but that sort of thing makes the stuff.

Having moderators in different time zones is good too, since we can mod at any time.

How are members selected to become moderators?

Occasionally there has been a public request for volunteers, but generally we add moderators by invitation. When it is determined that we need new mods, we start a thread in the moderators' area of the forum asking for nominations, then we discuss the pros and cons of each before sending out invites. 

And would it be possible to add the date a moderator became a moderator on the your moderators thread? (So it would display as "[moderator role]: [moderator username] [moderator join date]")

I'm not sure all the dates are available, plus we wouldn't want people to be dismissive of a moderator because they've only been doing it for a month or something. 

4 minutes ago, monstah said:

Having moderators in different time zones is good too, since we can mod at any time.

The Sun never sets on the Moderation Empire. 

<Merged in from seperate thread>

I was wondering, when a moderator opens the forums and logs in, what does he see? I mean, it can't just be a normal interface- how else do they manage to edit comments, lock threads, etc? There gotta be something else, right? How does the whole system work from a moderator's perspective?

Edited by Val
Merged

6 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I was wondering, when a moderator opens the forums and logs in, what does he see?

I imagine it's something like this:

ruins%20cityscapes%20fire%20artwork%20ap

Edited by 5thHorseman
Added a quote of the person I was talking to, back before the threads were merged.

7 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

<Merged in from seperate thread>

I was wondering, when a moderator opens the forums and logs in, what does he see? I mean, it can't just be a normal interface- how else do they manage to edit comments, lock threads, etc? There gotta be something else, right? How does the whole system work from a moderator's perspective?

Interface isn't much different from what normal users see. We have a few options with all normal users posts (where you find the quote button) and threads, can find some more info about users (mostly from their profile, something by simply mousing over their avatar) and with the same menu where account settings are, can access the moderator control panel, good to see all the reported things and queued posts nicely listed, plus a few other useful things. Plus, we have access to some hidden forum areas and can have notifications enabled about a number of "events", e.g. when something gets reported. But there's nothing strikingly different in the way IPS software works.

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I imagine it's something like this:

ruins%20cityscapes%20fire%20artwork%20ap

Only after some new KSP release....:wink:

8 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I was wondering, when a moderator opens the forums and logs in, what does he see?

Buttons, and warnings!

Like Dio said, not much changes, but there are a few extra clickables, and a new notification icon for mod stuff.

The thing that I was most unsure about was this little button that appeared on top-right of posts and had no tooltip. I was so afraid I'd click it and do something bad, but it turned out it was just a checkbox for selecting posts (to move, remove, etc.) :blush: 

8 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Has anyone been perma'd from the forums before? Also, what is the worst punishment RIGHT BEFORE a ban?

A few people have, but probably fewer than you think (if you don't count spambots, if you do then it's probably more than you think). 

The usual steps of escalating moderation measures goes something like this:

0-point warning -> Warning with points -> Placed in the moderation queue -> Temporary ban -> Permanent ban

But that is very much subject to circumstances and severity of the matter.