Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

3 hours ago, klesh said:

Thanks for the advice.  I wouldn't see a chiropractor if I was paid in solid gold.  ;)

Like any profession, there are good chiropractors and bad ones. If there’s no improvement after a couple of visits, then a chiropractor isn’t the solution, and a good one will tell you that. A bad one will keep you coming back. Some are much rougher than others  

Depending on how long something has been out of whack, your ligaments and tendons can try to return a joint to that out-of-whack spot. They need a few “reminders” to remember where the proper position is and hold the joint there.  

I had issues with the sacro-iliac (?) joint where the spine joins the hips. Chiropractor fixed  it and showed me the stretch that fixes it every time it acts up. 

4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I know people can get addicted to going to the chiro, but how do you think the number of people who do compares to the number of people addicted to pain killer pills?

Oh for sure.  People are idiots.  I wont take pharmaceuticals either, which is why I was doing physical therapy.  Since PT was making things worse, I decided to try the EMG test to narrow down the suspect area, so I can then go back to PT slightly more informed.  Besides, needles and electro shocks sounds kind of interesting to experience.

Edit:  Alright boys @LordFerret@StrandedonEarth @Geonovast, I made a damn chiropractor appointment for tomorrow.  I cant believe I just typed that.  If I end up in traction permanently, I'm blaming you guys!

Honestly, at this point I'll try anything. Acupuncture is next on the whacky list.

Edited by klesh

2 hours ago, klesh said:

Alright boys @LordFerret@StrandedonEarth @Geonovast, I made a damn chiropractor appointment for tomorrow.  I cant believe I just typed that.  If I end up in traction permanently, I'm blaming you guys!

Honestly, at this point I'll try anything. Acupuncture is next on the whacky list.

Good plan. I hope you found or were referred to a good one. Two-four  visits is normal to make sure things stay where they’re put, depending how long things were out, but you should NOT have to go back every week or so indefinitely.

It may not fix your issue, but it’s a simple thing to try 

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Was walking to the bus, got dragged back into the house by my mother because I forgot to tie my shoelaces

And I missed the bus too...

This will do nothing but prepare you for "Working Adult Life" later on..... where your boss makes a change and then blames you for the resulting cascade of failures that result. 

19 hours ago, YNM said:

Tired of your daily dose of

If yes, then Move to the Tropics™ ! Where there's only two weather : Really sunny, or really raining !*

* Please consider your choice wisely. Included in the reported side effects of the Tropics are excessive ground movements, searing molten rock, and a mass of water crashing into you.

Also consider CaliforniaTM, where sometimes the weather forgets to work and you just get a flat line:

V66QMBA.png

Fahrenheit, BTW. 14-10 C. 

WARNING: May result in considering this really cold, getting heatstroke while feeling mostly comfortable, and driving your car into a ditch because the road is covered in this wet stuff.

6 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

CaliforniaTM

It still has a non-zero chance of the ground shaking beneath you. Plus it's in constant drought and fire...

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

This will do nothing but prepare you for "Working Adult Life" later on..... where your boss makes a change and then blames you for the resulting cascade of failures that result. 

I laughed and laughed.

And then I cried.

Would anyone be willing to help me with Spanish?

At some point I just stopped getting things in class, which made doing homework adequately kind of impossible. I'm only perhaps writing a sentence here and there, essentially blindly writing down words in the hopes they are correct.

I have no one but myself to blame for this, though. Keyword here is "laziness", unfortunately. Another factor is that I'm not exposed to the language outside of the lessons and have no opportunity to (try to) speak/write/use it in my free time.

31 minutes ago, Delay said:

At some point I just stopped getting things in class, which made doing homework adequately kind of impossible. I'm only perhaps writing a sentence here and there, essentially blindly writing down words in the hopes they are correct.

I have no one but myself to blame for this, though. Keyword here is "laziness", unfortunately. Another factor is that I'm not exposed to the language outside of the lessons and have no opportunity to (try to) speak/write/use it in my free time.

What level are we talking? I have no experience with spanish but managed to get a good grade in french GCSE (an exam we take in the UK around the age of 16) with zero latent talent for languages (and no external exposure) just by writing down sentences (in both languages, using references materials) over and over and over again.

Bottom line is, unless you are actively trying to become fluent in another language, you are just trying to pass a test, not become bilingual.

Edited by p1t1o

31 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

... just by writing down sentences (in both languages, using references materials) over and over and over again.

Spanish and English is even more divergent compared to French and English. (I mean, there was Roman Britain, but that's millenias ago; whereas Norman Conquest was only 1000 years ago - hence farmers own cows, but restaurants sell beef.)

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Sorry, learning a natural language makes no sense over the internet. You need to practice and talk and that is only possible in class or with somebody who speaks Spanish (i am German, but live in Spain). Writing an email with the help of dictionaries etc. doesn't help either, you need get accustomed to the specialties of Spanish and there are many.

Do the lessons and practice in class, and one day when you have the opportunity, travel to Spain and actually talk to people.

Suerte !

Edited by Green Baron

3 hours ago, Delay said:

Spanish

I only know what Spanish I picked up from Dora and my trip to Mejico (Dos cervezas, por favor!) I also did fairly well in high school French, with no opportunity to continue or practice it.

If you’re trying to write sentences, then you probably need to memorize how to conjugate the various verbs depending on the the verb’s subject (I am , you are, he/she is, etc), as well as learning the prepositions. That’s my guess at where you’re stuck. Sorry, there’s no lazy way to learn a language aside from being immersed in it. 

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Do the lessons and practice in class, and one day when you have the opportunity, travel to Spain and actually talk to people.

I'm already quite a bit behind in class, both in vocabulary and speaking (as well as hearing, and apparently a real conversation would be even faster than 1,000 words/Planck time). I'm constantly looking up some word in the dictionary, sometimes every single word that comprises a sentence. Conjugating, semi-ironically, works fine. The structure of my sentences is also okay I'd say.
Not necessarily right, but not as wrong as possible.

As for actually traveling to Spain and talking; that won't be possible for some (very long) time. For one, I have Social Anxiety Disorder which - while having gotten better - is still capable of rendering me entirely speechless, especially when speaking a foreign language where I'm not sure of grammar or pronunciation, let alone vocabulary.
And additionally, as for so many things: Money.

4 hours ago, YNM said:

Spanish and English is even more divergent compared to French and English. (I mean, there was Roman Britain, but that's millenias ago; whereas Norman Conquest was only 1000 years ago - hence farmers own cows, but restaurants sell beef.)

Good point, but in the absence of natural exposure and further teaching, wrote memorisation can get you past exams of a certain level.

If we are talking 16yo level, you shouldnt need to spend time in the country to pass, fluency is not a reasonable target at this point. If its 18+yo level, its pretty much too late.

Bottom line is time, longer you spend with the material, the more will sink in naturally.

@DelayHonestly, the most effective approach at this time would be to get a tutor, ask your school to help find one. I dont know what the situation is exactly, but otherwise might recommend just letting it slide in order to concentrate on things you are naturally better at, depending on where you are in your education.

Do you remember I complaining about having my block out of power for maintenance of the public lines last Saturday?

It was for nothing as it appears.

I was shopping for groceries (and Coffee! Lots of Coffee!) when started to rain heavily. I was caught in the middle of the rain (and without soap - lost the opportunity to take the week's bath), with a bag full of groceries.

Worst part: the whole block is out of power. For an hour already. And I had to walk up 13 flights of stairs until home.

At least I made it. Now I'm mourning another lost work day while try to figure out why my home is so hot and this weird guy with horns on his front and goat shoes laughs at me every time I tell him to go away...

I tried to buy a new soldering station. No shops for that stuff on the island. Amazon ? Don't deliver that stuff to the islands, to much hassle with customs etc.

I have to pay for living in good weather all the time.

Ok, i pay.

20 hours ago, klesh said:

Oh for sure.  People are idiots.  I wont take pharmaceuticals either, which is why I was doing physical therapy.  Since PT was making things worse, I decided to try the EMG test to narrow down the suspect area, so I can then go back to PT slightly more informed.  Besides, needles and electro shocks sounds kind of interesting to experience.

Edit:  Alright boys @LordFerret@StrandedonEarth @Geonovast, I made a damn chiropractor appointment for tomorrow.  I cant believe I just typed that.  If I end up in traction permanently, I'm blaming you guys!

I hope it all works out for you!  A few visits might be required, but more than that - only if you've a chronic issue, such as myself.

There are Chiropractors and there are real medical Chiropractors.  A good Chiro guy is an MD as well, having more than just Chiro training.  That's why I mentioned an Osteopath (D.O.) too;  Many DO's perform manipulation, more-so than just prescribing drugs and self-help physical therapy.

Experience has taught me: ice then heat ... alternate, 20 minutes each.  True therapeutic deep massage also helps, again - from someone qualified.  Tip: If you go for massage, make your appointment for the day before your Chiro appointment.  It almost guarantees a successful Chiro adjustment.

Ive just come back from it.  It was.... an experience to say the least.  He said 2-4 visits before I should start feeling any better as well.

I am limited in who I can see based on my insurance.  You know, some rich guy has got to get 0.05% richer because my health isn't profitable. Its absolutely scandalous if you ask me. To think, we could bomb everybody into oblivion just as well if we only ran 9 supercarriers instead of 10...

22 hours ago, klesh said:

At least you aren't going full crank and getting essential oils! By that point it's time to call it quits and just cut off your arm.

18 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Also consider CaliforniaTM, where sometimes the weather forgets to work and you just get a flat line:

V66QMBA.png

Fahrenheit, BTW. 14-10 C. 

WARNING: May result in considering this really cold, getting heatstroke while feeling mostly comfortable, and driving your car into a ditch because the road is covered in this wet stuff.

Our weather is the part where the monitor breaks. It's low 70's(?) I believe, yesterday it was something like 18. 

Once it snowed in May and like a week later we got a small tornado outbreak, complete with a 290+ mph EF5. 

Edited by Kernel Kraken

5 hours ago, p1t1o said:

in the absence of natural exposure and further teaching, wrote memorisation can get you past exams of a certain level.

True. But beyond some points, you need actual conversation.

Media would be a cheap way to do this - Websites, radios, videos in Spanish...

When I learned English (which is not my first language, and is not related to it in any shape or form - English is from the Indo-European language family while my native language is from the Austronesian language family), I was exposed to the mainly English world of computers and the internet - as early as the age of 10. That was also the moment that all of my knowledge of it clicked - and from that point on, I didn't even bother trying to follow what we were learning in class, because the vast majority of them I would've learned through experiencing the internet.

And here I am, still practising it, even if I barely use it to talk with anyone in real life.

I've tried doing the same with Dutch, but the biggest hurdle remains with indentifying how people pronounce them - kind of the same with how it went when I found out not everyone speaks as clearly as the examples for English !

Edited by YNM