Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

tlY1lQycBCT-qGDWTrEdqPfSmZo0RsFRuJ3Bym_v

Brand new downloadable content for Kerbal Space Program is on its way! Filled with new content and features, Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion will give new meaning to the Kerbal scientific endeavours.

Breaking Ground is all about exploration, experimentation, and technological breakthroughs. Study the soaring plume of a cryovolcano on Vall, mysterious craters on Moho, and even more new features on all of the other moons and planets of the Solar System. Deploy experiments for the long-term study of Minmus and let them collect data while you explore further sights. Test your creativity with a new suite of robotics parts. Breaking Ground will help you and the Kerbals reach new horizons, all in the name of Science!

These are the most significant features coming to Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion.

Robotic Parts

Brand new robotic will add a whole new level of creativity to your craft. These parts will include some new control mechanics and let you create all sorts of inventive vehicles and crazy contraptions to aid the Kerbals in exploring their Universe!

thNzgxVgkg8jB_HT8j8w07voBGJhPySw29TQ9ZhM

Surface Features

Scattered across the Kerbin System, you’ll find interesting Surface Features, like mineral formations, meteors, craters, and some even more curious planetary features. Study them and collect valuable scientific data with a brand-new Rover Arm!

rOJm4dH7dUHrWKZXX0cgDsyFur3m_Kty9Bv0sqNV

Deployed Science

Bring equipment for experiments with you from Kerbin and deploy them on the surface of a celestial body to take measurements over time. Set up a science station and put your crew to work. From seismometers to weather stations, there are plenty experiments for you to try out!

Oq76nLhVnFABXGQexBTOWvThitS2KCIWTPuCsxc8

New Space Suit

Kerbals are also getting a fresh new space suit to wear for their scientific endeavors! This sleek futuristic suit will make your Kerbals look flashy while they explore the canyons of Duna, the shores of Laythe, or any other exotic destination.

0Vl9q0XK-AxsPQlg4rfGiRdvARSsxTCXkCjG4KWn

Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion will be released on May 30th for PC for $14.99 USD. And yes, we’re keeping our promise that all players who purchased the game through April 2013 will receive the expansion for free. We’ll provide more details on how that will work before launch.

Do you want to learn more about Breaking Ground? Then make sure to stay tuned for our next KSP Loading… where we’ll take a deep dive into the content and features of Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion!

Happy launchings!

P.S.: Click here to see the full High-Res screenshot album.

1 minute ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Nice!

Lets hope this doesnt end like Making history<_<

Are you crazy? We're getting stock hinges, deployable science, more things to do on planets what more do you need in a dlc?

Just now, UomoCapra said:

These parts will include some new control mechanics and let you create all sorts of inventive vehicles and crazy contraptions to aid the Kerbals in exploring their Universe!

Oh God. Kraken Expansion incoming.

2 minutes ago, krone12 said:

It's not worth even for 5$.

Then don’t buy it. 

Me, I bought KSP at version 0.19 in March 2013. So the price is irrelevant. Thank you Squad and Take2 for keeping your commitment to early buyers.

Just now, Sebastiaz said:

Hope we get stock clouds and a maybe a stock scatterer at some point

What's the point? It's already done by modders. I'd rather they spent time and resources on something that we can't get with mods.

Just now, sh1pman said:

What's the point? It's already done by modders. I'd rather they spent time and resources on something that we can't get with mods.

Ease of access for one point. Either that, or simply to deprecate them into the game with an option to turn them off. And I mean, we've already gotten most things on here w/ mods so I see no loss.

For the robotic parts, with all due respect, I hope the GUI is much more akin to the Infernal Robotics implementation and much less like the UI for the USI Konstruction PAL parts.

But making groundside exploration more interesting, introducing new ground side experimentation and new ways for players to create more complex vehicles is a great move forward!

Edited by Poodmund
Spelinn wus baad

5 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

@CobaltWolf

Now I understand why you discontinued SEP. :)

Overall I have to say I am impressed by this DLC. This is exactly what the doctor ordered. 

Yeah, I said something in the thread, but to clarify:

I didn't know WHAT this announcement was going to be. I had mentioned discontinuing SEP to some people, and several of them assured me not to worry and that it wouldn't be missed. I wasn't sure what they meant, but now I know - and WOW! This looks awesome!

Edit:

@SQUAD it's early to say, but this surface science stuff - will it be possible for modders to add new experiments that use the same system? And, to be sure, would that be allowed even (since it's a DLC)? Obviously it would need to have the DLC as a dependency I figure so probably not a problem?

Edited by CobaltWolf

This looks pretty cool

My request / hope - that Squad fixes how parts interact with the surface of planets - no bouncing, sliding, jumping, etc. If they haven't fixed that then all these new parts, robotic walkers and rovers with arms are gonna be in for trouble.

I'm at 1.7 with Kerbol origins and some other planet mods,. I hope the dlc will not break these, otherwise I'm looking forward for this expansion. This kind of dlc is very a needed-one from my point of view. Thanks @SQUAD and T2.

Edited by SudAntares

Huh.

I was wondering why it was so quiet on the news front.  I guess they've been busy working on plans for the future.

28 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

Breaking Ground Expansion will be released on May 30th

Oh, wow.  Keeping this one deep under wraps until it was almost ready.

3 minutes ago, Tyko said:

This looks pretty cool

My request / hope - that Squad fixes how parts interact with the surface of planets - no bouncing, sliding, jumping, etc. If they haven't fixed that then all these new parts, robotic walkers and rovers with arms are gonna be in for trouble.

Yes. They need to fix the friction issues with the current planetary surfaces.

@UomoCapra -  Will these new Science experiments still be instantaneous like all other science in the game (click "perform experiment" and it kicks out points) or will there be time-based experiments and reasons to hang around or re-visit a site to get more Science?

Edited by Tyko

1 minute ago, Xurkitree said:

Yes. They need to fix the friction issues with the current planetary surfaces.

And the still broken parts from the last DLC.

Not gonna get excited about robotics from a group that can't make a basic part like a service module.