Galileo

[1.7.x] JNSQ [0.8.6] [13 Nov 2019]

Recommended Posts

On 11/26/2019 at 6:23 PM, Galileo said:

 

*heavy breathing*

So looking forward to wider mod support for 1.8... maybe this time I can start a planet pack at a point in time when it's more than 2 months to the next big thing that will make everything stop working :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a beautiful mod, thank you for making it.

The new biomes at Kerbin, Mun, Minmus are refreshing. I have a new reason to explore places that got boring after multiple playthroughs.

2.7x 1/4 scale is a good challenge for stock rockets. It also works well with some arguably overpowered SSTOs built using the OPT mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BowmanA081 said:

What are the seas of JNSQ Eve made of, anyway? Every time I see them, I can't help but become curious.

Our theory is that they consist of heavy hydrocarbons, similar to those found in kerosene or diesel.  Eve's oceans being some type of hydrocarbon fuel has been part of the lore ever since I started playing KSP.  And after running some calculations, I've found that it is entirely feasible for heavy hydrocarbons, such as dodecane, to exist in liquid form at the pressure and temperatures found at Eve sea level.  So it seems the lore actually has a basis in reality.  Where all that hydrocarbon came from, however, is open to wild speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GEP_JNSQ

For those of you who have inquired about adding other planet packs to JNSQ, please be advised that Grannus Expansion Pack (GEP) now includes an optional add-on that rescales it to fit the JNSQ universe.  To use, simply install GEP along side JNSQ, and add the optional mod GEP_JNSQ provided in the GEP download.  Your installation should look like this:
gyodOze.jpg

Note that Sigma Dimensions is not needed.  All resizing and rescaling is done using ModuleManager patches.

My purpose in creating this was to flesh out the process and uncover potential problems (found a couple).  The final result can be used as a template for others who might want to make their planet packs compatible and installable with JNSQ.  Although Team Galileo has no plans to provide such compatibility patches, we do encourage third parties who wish to do so.

Known issue:  Taranis' lava texture is being replaced by JNSQ's water texture.  Fixing this require a change to JNSQ, which will be implemented with the next JNSQ update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Galileo

Are there any specific instructions for installing the supplemental mods?   I usually install everything via CKAN, but when installing JNSQ 0.8.6, the following mods are suggested:

 

  • Scatterer
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements 2
  • Distant Object Enhancement Continued
  • PlanetShine
  • Rational Resources
  • Strategia
  • TextureReplacer (???)
  • JX2Antenna
  • CommNet Antennas Info
  • Kopernicus

So I select all of these and then CKAN suggests the following config for DistantObject-config:

  • Distant Object Enhancement RSS 1.9.1.1
  • Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config
  • JNSQ 0.8.5

I've already downloaded JNSQ 0.8.6, so why is it suggesting a config from 0.8.5? 

Then for PlanetShine-Config, I see the following:

  • JNSQ 0.8.5
  • PlanetShine Default Config
  • Spectra v1.2.3

I'm very puzzled about this, looking for some guidance

And is TextureReplacer v3.7 needed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've already downloaded JNSQ 0.8.6, so why is it suggesting a config from 0.8.5?

Good question. I don't know why that's happening. I'll have to look at it when I get home. Stay away from the 0.8.5 stuff as there were changes to those cfgs in 0.8.6. just choose the default cfgs for those mods, and JNSQ will change them with its own cfgs. Spectra just needs to be added as incompatible in the netkan.

As far as Texture Replacer is concerned, I do not recall the version that was for 1.7.3.

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

CKAN suggests the following config for DistantObject-config:

  • Distant Object Enhancement RSS 1.9.1.1
  • Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config
  • JNSQ 0.8.5

I've already downloaded JNSQ 0.8.6, so why is it suggesting a config from 0.8.5? 

Then for PlanetShine-Config, I see the following:

  • JNSQ 0.8.5
  • PlanetShine Default Config
  • Spectra v1.2.3

JNSQ 0.8.5:

    "provides": [
        "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Config",
        "Scatterer-sunflare",
        "DistantObject-config",
        "PlanetShine-Config",
        "Kronometer"
    ],

JNSQ 0.8.6:

    "provides": [
        "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Config",
        "Scatterer-sunflare",
        "Kronometer"
    ],

According to that, JNSQ used to supply its own configs for DistantObject and PlanetShine but no longer does. We can make the same change to the old version as well if desired (someone on the team just has to say so someplace where we can see it), but for now don't try to install two different versions of the same mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

We can make the same change to the old version as well if desired (someone on the team just has to say so someplace where we can see it)

Aha, scrolling back, this already happened:

Give us a couple of minutes...

EDIT: Turns out it takes more than a couple of minutes to download and validate two versions of a mod this big. Finally done now.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/pull/1600

Edited by HebaruSan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are there any specific instructions for installing the supplemental mods? 

TextureReplacer and JX2 Antenna seem to work unchanged.

What I did for the visual add-ons was made sure Kopernicus and JNSQ worked, and then I added Scatterer for 1.6.1 and later, EVE for 1.7.3, and Distant Object Enhancement as-is. There are configurations for each of these in JNSQ. I haven't touched PlanetShine since Scatterer has this feature now.

After all that was done and I knew the game would load, I'd delete settings.cfg, physics.cfg and partdatabase.cfg from the root, then let the game rebuild those. I'd then choose my graphic detail settings which would then include JNSQ_High. I'd then restart once more to have surface scatter settings take effect. 

Sometimes if I add an add-on I'll re-delete those root CFGs and redo my settings, because some graphics detail seems to get lost afterward, or at least the JNSQ_High label disappears. Not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 9:02 AM, Gordon Fecyk said:

What I did for the visual add-ons was made sure Kopernicus and JNSQ worked, and then I added Scatterer for 1.6.1 and later, EVE for 1.7.3, and Distant Object Enhancement as-is. There are configurations for each of these in JNSQ. I haven't touched PlanetShine since Scatterer has this feature now.

So the bit about PlanetShine is news to me.  So if you have Scatterer for 1.6.1 or later than PlanetShine is redundant?  if they are doing the same thing do they conflict if you have both?  I ask because I have been in the habit of having all of those visual mods every time I build a new KSP setup to play with and since I probably use too many mods as it is, I am looking for places to trim down my install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

So the bit about PlanetShine is news to me.  So if you have Scatterer for 1.6.1 or later than PlanetShine is redundant?  if they are doing the same thing do they conflict if you have both?  I ask because I have been in the habit of having all of those visual mods every time I build a new KSP setup to play with and since I probably use too many mods as it is, I am looking for places to trim down my install.

I have not seen or heard anything about Scatterer including planet shine. It was a feature that was considered, but it was never implemented due to lack of time for the dev. You'll find the base of code for the feature in Scatterer, but it's not doing anything yet. 

I think what @Gordon Fecyk is referring to is the extinction color on vessels when inside the atmosphere, which was recently added to Scatterer, but it still does not do anything in scaled space in terms of light being reflected off a body onto the vessels as far as I know. We are still waiting for true planet shine in Scatterer, so I still recommend PlanetShine to fill that gap.

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I think what @Gordon Fecyk is referring to is the extinction color on vessels when inside the atmosphere, which was recently added to Scatterer, but it still does not do anything in scaled space in terms of light being reflected off a body onto the vessels as far as I know.

What I'm seeing is after going to the Mun or Minmus and coming back, something is colouring the craft blue even when not entering the atmosphere yet. I don't have PlanetShine installed so I figured this was Scatterer. I'll have to post an example next time I see one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, OhioBob said:

Included in JNSQ is an all-new and exclusive "Sunflare of Maar." Its name is "Esther." It runs in either Scatterer mode or Unity mode (such as Galileo's Flare Replacer mod). To choose which one runs, change the setting in GameData\JNSQ\JNSQ_Configs\SunflareMode.cfg

In Unity mode, you have the further option to disable the sunflare ghosts by creating a folder JNSQNoGhosts beside JNSQ.

Is "JNSQNoGhosts" supposed to eliminate the pentagon-shaped reflections while keeping the diffraction spikes emanating radially from the sun? I tried adding the folder and got an ugly result; the sun was a small white ball with some darkened areas (sunspots, I assume), and a harsh contrast edge from sun to sky. The pentagon reflections were gone but the radial spikes and fading glow were also gone.

There are 4 combinations of sunflare settings: 2 settings in the config file * 2 settings for the existence of the no ghosts folder. What's the practical difference between Scatterer and Unity mode? Does one run faster or use less RAM? They look similar from orbit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Is "JNSQNoGhosts" supposed to eliminate the pentagon-shaped reflections while keeping the diffraction spikes emanating radially from the sun? I tried adding the folder and got an ugly result; the sun was a small white ball with some darkened areas (sunspots, I assume), and a harsh contrast edge from sun to sky. The pentagon reflections were gone but the radial spikes and fading glow were also gone.

There are 4 combinations of sunflare settings: 2 settings in the config file * 2 settings for the existence of the no ghosts folder. What's the practical difference between Scatterer and Unity mode? Does one run faster or use less RAM? They look similar from orbit.

@JadeOfMaar is the better person to answer this.  The sunflare is his doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Landed on Moho!

VsjMDtg.png

I'm part way through filming Episode Four of a JNSQ Exploration series. Getting here needed a rocket that puts the Soviet UR-700 to shame, in terms of the kerbal factor! If the Lindor V was fairly kerbal, this thing cranks the kerbal factor up to 12.

er04ANq.png

See it in action in Episode Four, coming soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Is "JNSQNoGhosts" supposed to eliminate the pentagon-shaped reflections while keeping the diffraction spikes emanating radially from the sun? I tried adding the folder and got an ugly result; the sun was a small white ball with some darkened areas (sunspots, I assume), and a harsh contrast edge from sun to sky. The pentagon reflections were gone but the radial spikes and fading glow were also gone.

There are 4 combinations of sunflare settings: 2 settings in the config file * 2 settings for the existence of the no ghosts folder. What's the practical difference between Scatterer and Unity mode? Does one run faster or use less RAM? They look similar from orbit.

 

"JNSQNoGhosts" is indeed "supposed to eliminate the pentagon-shaped reflections (ghosts) while keeping the diffraction spikes emanating radially from the sun." What you described sounds like a conflicting situation that shouldn't happen. It sounds like you got the flare to stop showing completely, and the Sun body is now exposed. Delete your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file and restart KSP. That should help. If it doesn't, I'll need to see your KSP.log.

The purpose of the scatterer vs Unity flare setting is to reduce our dependence on scatterer to look great. The same great flare powered by scatterer is also built to be able to appear when scatterer is not installed. But scatterer allows for blending and compositing effects not available in Unity to KSP. The Unity flare falls short a few points as a result and they are hard to miss.

I can't give you straight answer re: which gives better performance. Ditching scatterer on the whole will save you performance. :sticktongue: The asset files (on disk) for both version of the flares are practically the same so it shouldn't be a bother, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Unity version does not swell to several times its size on disk when KSP and the GPU load it up. That's usually the case with any image files that are not DDS format.

They're supposed to look identical from orbit. (You shouldn't need to be able to tell the sunflare modes apart. That would be a good thing.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

"JNSQNoGhosts" is indeed "supposed to eliminate the pentagon-shaped reflections (ghosts) while keeping the diffraction spikes emanating radially from the sun." What you described sounds like a conflicting situation that shouldn't happen. It sounds like you got the flare to stop showing completely, and the Sun body is now exposed. Delete your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file and restart KSP. That should help. If it doesn't, I'll need to see your KSP.log.

The purpose of the scatterer vs Unity flare setting is to reduce our dependence on scatterer to look great. The same great flare powered by scatterer is also built to be able to appear when scatterer is not installed. But scatterer allows for blending and compositing effects not available in Unity to KSP. The Unity flare falls short a few points as a result and they are hard to miss.

I can't give you straight answer re: which gives better performance. Ditching scatterer on the whole will save you performance. :sticktongue: The asset files (on disk) for both version of the flares are practically the same so it shouldn't be a bother, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Unity version does not swell to several times its size on disk when KSP and the GPU load it up. That's usually the case with any image files that are not DDS format.

They're supposed to look identical from orbit. (You shouldn't need to be able to tell the sunflare modes apart. That would be a good thing.)

On further investigation prompted by what you wrote, it looks like Scatterer's sunflare is broken for me, with or without "JNSQNoGhosts". Unity sunflare mode seems to work okay. Deleting ModuleManage.ConfigCache did not make a noticeable difference.

Note that when set to Scatterer mode, I sometimes see a fraction of a second of flare as a ship loads before it gets replaced by an unflared sun. I'm a Scatterer novice, but maybe Scatterer is starting and quickly stopping, or maybe Unity mode always loads (and shows its flare) just before Scatterer replaces it with a broken flare. It's just an observation that might help find what's happening.

Other Scatterer features seem to be working okay. I'm getting the sunrise/sunset colors and good ocean waves.

Using Unity flare is not a big issue for me. JNSQ looks very nice, but if other things are secretly not working on my install maybe it's supposed to look even better :)

KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q0ArIDx89VWstJdQTOGGm1EomeRANDgi

output_log.txt: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11GmUiWGpRhR_SBX-aIsUL_een35e5XsS

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vagabond77 said:

Hi,

Download page on GitHub is down for me.

Is normal?

Wait a few minutes and try again.  According to the Github Status Page, things are normal.

 

https://www.githubstatus.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vagabond77 said:

Hi,

Download page on GitHub is down for me.

Is normal?

 

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Wait a few minutes and try again.  According to the Github Status Page, things are normal.

 

https://www.githubstatus.com/

The repository has been deleted/moved somewhere else from the looks. The netkan bot reports a 404 since 15:19 UTC (5 hours ago as of the writing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DasSkelett said:

 

The repository has been deleted/moved somewhere else from the looks. The netkan bot reports a 404 since 15:19 UTC (5 hours ago as of the writing).

I see. Well maybe they are working on a new release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.