Who doesn't love LEGO ?

Triop

We are all builders here, so I think that there are lots of members here that have a link with this magnificent toy.

Let us know in a comment what your experience is with LEGO.

I'm 45 years old and I still love these bricks. :cool:

bJ3fYi7m.jpg

oYqAYT1m.jpg

lyMA5Rcm.jpg

QFU65Uom.jpg

JopPVUDm.jpg

AVQ4KCum.jpg

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I do not love Lego.

I have nothing against it, I just don't play with it our even interact with it in any way, haven't for decades, and have no plans or reasons to change that.

I can understand that, but let me ask, does that mean you also don't like building model kits or toys what so ever ?

Just curious, I'm just a toy guy who's reliving his past.

1 hour ago, Triop said:

I can understand that, but let me ask, does that mean you also don't like building model kits or toys what so ever ?

Just curious, I'm just a toy guy who's reliving his past.

Amusingly no I never really did. To me the lego aspects of KSP are not really all that important. I build craft so they can do specific things, not to partake in the building itself.

Note I'm by no means saying I don't like it. I just don't love it. :D

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

Note I'm by no means saying I don't like it. I just don't love it.

Like I said, I understand.

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I build craft so they can do specific things, not to partake in the building itself.

But you still want it to look cool right ? :cool:

Cheers mate.

4 minutes ago, burn boi said:

Quite coincidentally, i brought the 1969 piece lego ideas saturn v. Yes, I will post a pic when done... 

The shipping stuff etc is due on dec.24 though, ordered it for christmas.

Realise that apollo 11 was on 1969, and the part count is 1969... lego are madlads.

I also have the Lego Saturn V.  While it's neat that there's 1,969 parts, you can definitely tell while building it where they used two parts instead of one just to up the part count.

I love Legos.  They were a major part of my childhood, almost as important as my K'nex.  It's probably one of the reasons that I love KSP so much, and why my favorite aspects of KSP are the actual building - be it in the VAB/SPH or orbit.

Most of my Legos just sit in a couple big buckets.  There's, of course, bricks everywhere, in every bucket an box in the house.  I don't do much with them anymore, I never much cared for instructions.  As a kid, the specific sets I would get would get built once, torn apart, and then the pieces merged into the great bucket.  The Saturn V will stay as it is though.

VtG1Pw1.jpg

15 minutes ago, burn boi said:

Realise that apollo 11 was on 1969, and the part count is 1969... lego are madlads.

It is one of the easiest model to build, the instructions being perfectly clear and with good contrast. When I received it a couple of years ago, it was the first time I was coming back to LEGO in more than 15 years, and I found their new format of plans incredible. No more contrast induced mistakes, and numbered bags (finally).

Now she's resting with her little sibling aside:

DSC00165

25 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I love Legos.  They were a major part of my childhood, almost as important as my K'nex.  It's probably one of the reasons that I love KSP so much, and why my favorite aspects of KSP are the actual building - be it in the VAB/SPH or orbit.

same here, bro

and omg I so regret not choosing next day delivery

nice work on your saturn v dude

whilst I never really played with k'nex, they do seem pretty nifty.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats lego though. Not even fake lego brands 

37 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Unless you happen to step on them. Then Legos become the worst invention ever. Only few toys surpass the pain a Lego can inflict.

From my personal experiences, the four-points cube is bearable, but the worst is this horrible ^%#@! of six-point brick. If it's flipped over it can easily cut the skin under your foot... Despicable little piece of plastic.

ouF58eo.jpg

Yeah LEGO is fun. Being tasked with going through the bins of LEGO and reassembling as many as possible of the kits that the parts came from was not so fun. My kids are no longer allowed to play with the assembled kits because then they (the LEGO) ends up back in the bins, reduced to LEGO atoms. And I’m left resisting the urge to stuff the kids into the bins too  

Looking at the LEGO catalogues and drooling over some of the kits (Star Destroyer anyone?) is lots of fun. Looking at the price on those kits is not at all fun. 

Construx were the superior building platform back in the day, they had a proper XYZ building paradigm as well as great logic in that if you were short a length you could make up for it with 2 shorter lengths + a knot. Hinges, pulleys, wheels, cool cockpit parts- we used to make spacehips that would shoot down a zip line. Sadly Fisher-Price kind of sputtered out, but man Construx was the bomb. Lego IMO was always limited and the things you made were heavy and fragile, Construx could be used to make actual toys.

Just to add another thing- the connections in Construx relied on a U shape to connect things, so it got the engineering blood flowing when building things- it got you thinking about stress/loading.

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

I had a lot of Lego sets when I was a kid. Then as a teenager I went through what Lego fans call "The Dark Ages" where I gave it all away to my younger cousins.

I started collecting again when they first came out with the Star Wars sets. I have more now than I ever did before, but man I wish I still had all those original Lego Space sets. When I saw the Lego Movie with my son, we all agreed that Benny was my spirit animal. SPACESHIP!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.