Kerbal Rescue Force-Have a stranded kerbal? Post here!

Lewie

The other day when I was browsing the the ksp sub-reddt, I couldn’t help but notice the large amount of people with stranded kerbals. I thought to myself, what if there was a team to save all those kerbals? And thus, the Kerbal Rescue force was born!

Anywho, if you have a stranded kerbal just post it here with how they became stranded. Someone will volunteer to rescue them. Sounds fun, right? 

Also.....we will make a Youtube series out of this!! And anybody that helps to rescue a kerbal will receive a special badge for their signature.

Spoiler

No, this is *NOT* a rip-off of Matt Lowne’s Blunderbirds. I just thought that this would be a fun thing to start.

If you wish to send me the save file, you can email me at [email protected]

Current KRF staff-

Senior Kerbal rescuer- @Lewie

Second in command- @The Doodling Astronaut

The new guy-@Dat Kerbal Dude

Edited by Lewie

2 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

And you are required to record it.

The rescue? Nah...but hey....maybe someday we could make a series out of it!

(or if people want it to be recorded, we could. Anything goes:))

Edited by Lewie

Just now, Vanamonde said:

If it's not taking place in-game, then the thread belongs in the Games subforum. Is why I ask. 

Ahh...

well, it does/will take place in the game so it should just stay here in ksp discussion. 

1 minute ago, Vanamonde said:

So you're going to be passing saved game files back and forth? 

Yep! That will be the main focus of this thread-to rescue any/all stranded kerbals.

Edited by Lewie

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

No, this is NOT a rip-off of Matt Lowne’s Blunderbirds. I just thought that this would be a fun thing to start.

Yes, yes it is.  :P  But that's perfectly ok!   I like the idea of having a community based "rescue force" as you put it.    I would think though rescues should require a video or written report to allow the rescued player to learn how to do it. 

crs3sjtte3WE80cq9fIciawEUrbin8CiJxxX7XUP

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Yes, yes it is.  :P  But that's perfectly ok!   I like the idea of having a community based "rescue force" as you put it.    I would think though rescues should require a video or written report to allow the rescued player to learn how to do it. 

Mmmm......

Good idea!

This shall now be a youtube video series, for any and all to enjoy. We can do that/or and written reports with pictures.

Edited by Lewie

@Lewie - great idea. But since I began playing in version .22, I have always had an unspoken rule about KSP - I try not to kill my Kerbals and I never leave them behind. I cannot begin to tell you the number of rescue missions I've had to launch to get some poor idiot Kerbal who was either stranded in orbit or stuck on Minmus, the Mün, or beyond. :)

I also never send a Kerbal beyond a medium Kerbin orbit (I define this as at an altitude of 120Km above Kerbin) alone for any long duration flights.

On 8/17/2020 at 1:19 PM, Lewie said:

Also.....we will make a Youtube series out of this!! And anybody that helps to rescue a kerbal will receive a special badge for their signature.

If you want... I could make the badge. No guarantees, though.

For rescuing kerbals though, I mostly agree with @adsii1970. It's just more fulfilling to rescue kerbals yourself. But I'll see what I can do.

17 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

If you want... I could make the badge. No guarantees, though.

For rescuing kerbals though, I mostly agree with @adsii1970. It's just more fulfilling to rescue kerbals yourself. But I'll see what I can do.

Wow! 

@Misguided_Kerbal since you’re starting school, I don’t want you to have to work on something like that. 

But hey, like you said, maybe you will maybe you won’t. Totally up to you, everything goes!

And yes, you and @adsii1970 both do make a good point....but perhaps the player has run out of fuel, and are stuck in orbit. Or they don’t know how to do orbital rendezvous....or their lander crashed. Or just doesn’t have enough deltaV, and they don’t know how to rescue their poor kerbal?

That’s why the Kerbal rescue force is here!

4 minutes ago, Lewie said:

@Misguided_Kerbal since you’re starting school, I don’t want you to have to work on something like that. 

It's fine, I have enough free time. Aren't you in school too? Nice of you to consider that, though.

5 minutes ago, Lewie said:

And yes, you and @adsii1970 both do make a good point....but perhaps the player has run out of fuel, and are stuck in orbit. Or they don’t know how to do orbital rendezvous....or their lander crashed. Or just doesn’t have enough deltaV, and they don’t know how to rescue their poor kerbal?

That’s why the Kerbal rescue force is here!

True... but we should have made sure that the person has at least tried to rescue their kerbals at least once. We can't be like Mechjeb, eh? Some people (i'm not necessarily saying I'm free of it either...) use Mechjeb as a crutch. We can't let people use Kerbal Rescue Force as a crutch either... do you get what I mean?

2 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

It's fine, I have enough free time. Aren't you in school too? Nice of you to consider that, though.

Yep....I go back on the 28th, though.

(for once I don’t have school on my b-day!)

4 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

[snip] True... but we should have made sure that the person has at least tried to rescue their kerbals at least once. We can't be like Mechjeb, eh? Some people (i'm not necessarily saying I'm free of it either...) use Mechjeb as a crutch. We can't let people use Kerbal Rescue Force as a crutch either... do you get what I mean?

Good point! Prefer to think that this is something to help folks that don’t know how to rescue their kerbals, or don’t want to use mechjeb. I’m not going to sweat that too much, I personally can’t wait for the first rescue!

1 minute ago, Lewie said:

Yep....I go back on the 28th, though.

(for once I don’t have school on my b-day!)

Good point! Prefer to think that this is something to help folks that don’t know how to rescue their kerbals, or don’t want to use mechjeb. I’m not going to sweat that too much, I personally can’t wait for the first rescue!

same... now we just need someone who needs a rescue. I'll start working on the badge.

• 2 weeks later...

even if i had a kerbal stranded on another planet (on the kerbin moons it would be trivial) and i wanted to have someone else rescue it, it would not be possible. i have a dozen missions running together in my career, and running the rescue mission alone would lose the others. unless the rescuers also controlled all my other crafts for the years of career time it would take for the rescue. just not feasible.

16 minutes ago, Commodore_32 said:

It has but inside the cargo bay, its meant to be for payload but you can reach it with some contraption.

Ok. One last question...

with kerbal konstucts do you just put the file into the ksp folder or gamedata?

Oh and....What game version is your save on? 

Edited by Lewie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.