[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

13 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

If you want to wrangle on it, let me know what you'll need.

Do you store a persistent state somewhere other than the save file?

No, the persistent data is stored in the save game file (persistent.sfs). Right now there isn't much you can do except bring out a replacement ship. If you can keep the one with the bugged warp engine around, then I can add some debug code to test how that state is getting set and possibly trace what's going on. That'll take a day or two to code up.

I'll keep a copy of the whole game to test against.

I've gone around to all my warp drives now and I've got 2 that are non-functional - both S2 core but I have only very recently been using the S3 core.  I can't find any relationship between the failures.

Ok.  I've found the issue - though not the root cause.

On the affected ships, the part wbiS2WarpCore was in state = 0
I compared that to the state on all the other warp ships and the others were in state = 1.  Going into the save file and changing the value from state = 0 to state = 1 corrected the issue.

In one of the ships, I had left a fusion reactor running and it ate all the fusion pellets.  The other ship...  no idea.

I just remembered that a year or two ago, when we first got a brief video of the KSP2 vab, the tooltip on the 2.5m nose cone said that it needed uranium, (i still don't know why they put uranium in a nose cone) which implied that certain parts need certain resources to construct, at least when you're building it from colony.

I wonder if that means that after the resource system is complete you can have FTL parts require a special resource to build like "kerlithium" or something to add an extra layer to FTL infrastructure.

51 minutes ago, Clancythecat said:

i still don't know why they put uranium in a nose cone

You do know. Everybody knows.

Spoiler

W87WarheadB.jpg

Also uranium nosecone might be useful to improve balance (useful for aerobraking) and penetration (useful for lithobraking)

Edited by Manul

7 hours ago, Clancythecat said:

I just remembered that a year or two ago, when we first got a brief video of the KSP2 vab, the tooltip on the 2.5m nose cone said that it needed uranium, (i still don't know why they put uranium in a nose cone) which implied that certain parts need certain resources to construct, at least when you're building it from colony.

I wonder if that means that after the resource system is complete you can have FTL parts require a special resource to build like "kerlithium" or something to add an extra layer to FTL infrastructure.

It's already been made known that a "build recipe" system exists in the game and everyone who plays with the likes of Pathfinder, EL and SandCastle are already mentally prepared for it. Expect, then, to have to maintain a supply of the required resources attached to the orbital VAB and the colony VAB, whatever that's called. And expect Angelo Kerman to jump right on that system for everything once it's out. :D

Personally speaking, I'd prefer an equivalent feature to having the stock repair kit and requiring/consuming it in order to produce other parts. This alone would add a dimension to the resource trade system and can then even be used as a form of currency or a token for restricting the abundance of certain parts in a campaign.

6 hours ago, Manul said:

You do know. Everybody knows.

It was a placeholder for that new stock conical nuclear reactor! :D Obviously!

6 hours ago, Manul said:

Also uranium nosecone might be useful to improve balance

If you need Uranium for balancing a craft we have some very serious problems. :P

@Angelo Kerman Inquiring minds want to know.  Did you get KSP2 and get some time with it - probably not yet given it's just getting to the end of the US work day.

I had hoped to be having an enjoyable weekend getting oriented on KSP2 but after seeing the videos by the likes of Carnasa, Beardy Penguin, Everyday Astronaut....  weeeellll....  I think it's a solid wait and see.

9 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

...  I think it's a solid wait and see.

More than that. I saw the stream of @Matt Lowne and ... eeehhh... Matt did a great job as streamer, but KSP2 fell far behind my expectations - even for a early access! Saw some funny bugs (but, this is normal for a early access, nothing to complain about)

And when i think of the hardware requirements, I expect KSP1 to live longer, than we'd all expect. In fact my visual preferences tend to like my modded ksp1 install more that what I saw of KSP2 - and that with my old weak gtx 1060. Most people don't have a beefy graphics card for a game, that has in some aspects the visuals of a mobile game. Yes, i don't like the ksp2 visual in relation what they need in terms of hardware. When I think of a cyberpunk and stuff - there it's clear to see why such beefy graphics cards are needed. But KSP2 ? Nope... just turn on your KSP with Eve, Spectra, Scatterer, Parallax and Waterfall. Voila: (in some ways )way better (and in some ways at least on par) visuals at a much lower hardware cost.

I am almost sure, that I will stick to KSP1 for at least 1 or 2 years, at least. So maybe we'll see still some new or fixed mods for ksp1. At the moment, there is nothing in KSP2 (even with feature completeness after EA phase), that I can't have in a modded Ksp1 - atleast if i follow the things that were announced... interstellar stuff, colony building and ressource gathering... mods do really deliver all that stuff, that will probably come with stock ksp2, buuuuuut.... we'll see if it will be implemented in a nice way. At the moment i don't even like the UI of ksp2. It's all grey and kinda cluttered up and packaged in thousands of drop down thingys. Sometimes I didn't even understand, what @Matt Lowne was doing due to the strange UI design, especially during the build process - and I am an really experienced KSP player, not a newbie. 

The one thing i liked is the start of a vessel with countdown, and music. In fact the start sequence and the music is the core feature of ksp2 to me right now. And procedural wings.... The rest is.... in a "design rework needed!"-status (And i don't mean the bugs and fps... i mean the UI design. ) I expect even the kraken to return. The flying spaghetti monster in terms of wobbliness is also back as far as i saw on @ShadowZones video. having to strut everything with additional struts and autostruts wasn't obviously annoying enough, so they brought it back, that even a Saturn-5-ish rocket becomes a noodle. I really hope it is a bug, not a feature.

So in fact, I would be very happy, if @Angelo Kerman wouldn't drop KSP1 completely out of focus. I expect it to live longer than we all might think.

Edited by Rakete

On 2/24/2023 at 1:27 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

If you need Uranium for balancing a craft we have some very serious problems. :P

I still think that having a nuclear fuel storage in a nosecone is a good idea (if not to care about safety). Much better than a nosecone fueltank because it's mass doesn't change significantly so it doesn't affect the CoM  and it's great heat capacity should make this nosecone hard to overheat

On 2/25/2023 at 1:09 AM, Rakete said:

More than that. I saw the stream of @Matt Lowne and ... eeehhh... Matt did a great job as streamer, but KSP2 fell far behind my expectations - even for a early access! Saw some funny bugs (but, this is normal for a early access, nothing to complain about)

So in fact, I would be very happy, if @Angelo Kerman wouldn't drop KSP1 completely out of focus. I expect it to live longer than we all might think.

Did you see the video that Matt did going to the Mun Arch?  That was some serious stick to the mission there.  He was obviously getting a little tired of the jankery but stayed upbeat and on it.

I agree that it's likely going to be quite a while before KSP2 gets to any reasonable state.  Looks like the first mod is out - though it's just a physics config hack to increase rigidity.

@Angelo Kerman

I guess I found two bugs:

1.  The Bussard collectors only work, if a warp core is present. So you can't make sub-light-Gravi-collectors.

2. I placed an ugly testrig in the Kerbin gravi ring. See here: The Gravi-flux is exactly zero. Not 0.00000000x but exactly 0. The resource collector (patched by blueshift to collect also graviolium (thanks for the Patch, Angelo, by the way. It does fit in really nicely!) ) from Far Future Tech works in the same place. Interestingly the Blueshift-collectors seem to collect LqDeut and other stuff present there in the ring - just not gravi, even if present in the ring, like LqDeut. Strange.

QuJqZzD.png

Edited by Rakete

On 2/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angelo Kerman Inquiring minds want to know.  Did you get KSP2 and get some time with it - probably not yet given it's just getting to the end of the US work day.

I had hoped to be having an enjoyable weekend getting oriented on KSP2 but after seeing the videos by the likes of Carnasa, Beardy Penguin, Everyday Astronaut....  weeeellll....  I think it's a solid wait and see.

Yup, I got time to play over the weekend:

9sPs4bx.png

Workaround for discarded stage not being controllable despite having a probe core, charged batteries, and antennas:

NsREeaL.png

Tooling around the Arctic:

EHsX7fh.png

And today, I saw an anomaly that would, uh, justify having Kerbal Flying Saucers in KSP 2 once modding is officially supported. For now, I'm just having fun seeing the sights and messing around.

2 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angelo Kerman would you be amenable to possibly making a tinytm little adjustment to how the alien jump rings spawn?  No more than 1 per planet?

Hm, there should only be one alien jump gate per solar system, so not sure why there are two or more. Did you attach anything to the rings?

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

@Angelo Kerman

I guess I found two bugs:

1.  The Bussard collectors only work, if a warp core is present. So you can't make sub-light-Gravi-collectors.

2. I placed an ugly testrig in the Kerbin gravi ring. See here: The Gravi-flux is exactly zero. Not 0.00000000x but exactly 0. The resource collector (patched by blueshift to collect also graviolium (thanks for the Patch, Angelo, by the way. It does fit in really nicely!) ) from Far Future Tech works in the same place. Interestingly the Blueshift-collectors seem to collect LqDeut and other stuff present there in the ring - just not gravi, even if present in the ring, like LqDeut. Strange.

Bussard collectors were designed to work while at warp, though I recall trying to add the stock exoharvester to them as well. What I've found is that KSP 1's exosphere resource collection is... problematic. I did try adding SpaceDust/FFT collectors with mixed results.

Hey!!  He likes it! 
Yeah..  I've got 1 interstellar system right now and waiting on more of the GU1.4 systems to be released.  I had to up the max gates to 35.  Now Dres has like 7.  Pol and Bop sport a mighty fleet.
Of course, now that I think of it, there IS the everyLastPlanet setting.  I'm using the randomPlanetOrbit spawnMode.  Hrrm... 

2 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Hey!!  He likes it! 
Yeah..  I've got 1 interstellar system right now and waiting on more of the GU1.4 systems to be released.  I had to up the max gates to 35.  Now Dres has like 7.  Pol and Bop sport a mighty fleet.
Of course, now that I think of it, there IS the everyLastPlanet setting.  I'm using the randomPlanetOrbit spawnMode.  Hrrm... 

It has great potential, the sound and music are superb, but there are also a great many issues that need to be resolved. I'd say that I'm cautiously optimistic. That's the best way to sum up my thoughts on KSP 2. I'm willing to give the devs a chance; I'm not refunding my game.

Just now, Angelo Kerman said:

It has great potential, the sound and music are superb, but there are also a great many issues that need to be resolved. I'd say that I'm cautiously optimistic. That's the best way to sum up my thoughts on KSP 2.

I'm going to go ahead and buy it tonight and give a whirl.  Now that I know what I'm getting into, there is less probability of walking away in disgust.

Hah!  Love your "workaround".  So, that works for being able to control a spent stage?

4 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I'm going to go ahead and buy it tonight and give a whirl.  Now that I know what I'm getting into, there is less probability of walking away in disgust.

Hah!  Love your "workaround".  So, that works for being able to control a spent stage?

Yeah, having a kerbal aboard the spent stage lets you control it. Be advised that there are a lot of bugs in KSP 2 right now, and it needs a lot of Quality of Life improvements to better match KSP 1. I wouldn't start a new long-term playthrough yet, but it's fun to look around. It isn't a complete game but it has great potential. IMO, the best way to ensure that it fulfills its potential is to buy the game, provide constructive feedback, and give the devs a chance. If money is tight then wait at least until the science system is in. If not, I'd say vote yes with your wallet. It's also clear that the designers are giving reasons to explore all the planets; a far cry from original KSP.

And struts are your friend when it comes to stopping rockets from wobbling.

If anybody is concerned, I'm not dropping support on my KSP 1 mods just yet. At the very least I want to wait until KSP 2 is out of EA.

2 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

And struts are your friend when it comes to stopping rockets from wobbling.

If anybody is concerned, I'm not dropping support on my KSP 1 mods just yet. At the very least I want to wait until KSP 2 is out of EA.

I've been closely following the trials and tribulations of folks so I've got a very good idea of what I'm in for.  I'm sporting an i9-11900K and an RTX3090 and planning on going for medium graphics in the hopes of a better experience.  I was eyeballing a i9 13th gen and a 4090 but the wife stomped on that.  "Just for Kerbal...  ummm" <toe tapping...  lip pursing>

In spite of newly being a man of leisure courtesy of layoffs, it's not a biggie for the game.

@Ooglak Kerman Regarding Jump gates: I think what might be going on is that jump gates are supposed to spawn around every solar system's last planet in the system. If someone were to grab that gate and move it to somewhere else, then Blueshift might think that the gate doesn't exist and therefore needs to create a new gate. Have you been moving gates around?

17 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Hey!!  He likes it! 

If you changed the alien jump gate's spawn mode from everyLastPlanet to randomPlanetOrbit, then yeah, you'll get a lot of jump gates. The everyLastPlanet option ensures that each solar system in your game will get an alien jump gate- you don't have to manually increase the max gates, Blueshift will auto-detect all the solar systems and add a gate. last time I tried this with GU, it worked. If you need to clean up your save, try disabling jump gates, restart the game for good measure (technically it'll handle it in game), and then re-enable jump gates after setting the spawnMode back to everyLastPlanet.

@Angelo Kerman

I guess I found some bugs. Today I took the switch from 1.9.0 to 1.9.4

# 1 This version should bring the following since 1.9.1 : "Hotfix to auto-deactivate generators that are integrated with warp engines when the warp engine is shut down. Similarly, integrated warp coils will auto-enable/disable upon engine activation and shutdown."

It does not work: When I try to deactivate the warp core via action group it does not turn of the generator and continues to spend graviolium - i have to shut it off using the PAW.

Testvehicle here: https://www.filemail.com/d/nixgnbizwxxzzuw (uses a "Near Future Spacecraft" capsule, sorry - it felt a bit more like the famous phoenix from Star Trek first contact to me and I didn't want to change the craft, that is causing troubles in order to not prohibit propper bug hunting by changing the input variables) - launch it, and press AG2 to shutdown the warpcore. It does not kill the powergeneration, nor does it disable the warpcoils. Also removing the warpcore and installing the sameone after mod-update does not change it. Maybe some code fallback when compiling 1.9.4 - or does the energy generation shut off not apply to all warp cores ?

#2 there is an actiongroup setable to de-/activate the power generation of a warpcore. but this action is only settable to an action group after launch, not in the VAB. So you can't set up an AG to toggle the power generation before launch.

Both issues tested with KSP 1.12.x in Win10 22H2 with german localization. Tested on the S-2 "Planet's edge" warpcore.

Logfiles: https://www.filemail.com/d/mitlrynfhaxqxjx

Edited by Rakete

Dear Far Future Tech-Users that also use Blueshift:

Here is a config, to make use of your Antimatter-production-chain:

Replace your fft-antimatter-factory-1.cfg in FFT with the following complete config in the spoiler. It will allow you to convert a little bit of your precious and effortful crafted antimatter into graviolium in your lategame of FFT.

Unfortunately I had to hardcode it into the fft-antimatter-factory-1.cfg itself. It did not accept the heatvalues if i placed it in a separate patch to be applied afterwards (I don't unterstand why. Can somebody explain this? @Nertea - it only executed the conversion to the Nova-AM-Factory but ignored the SystemHeat integration - and it was the same config, as added here. Just a separate config with @Part.... etc. )  The red section in the config is new. You can also only move this over to your part definition. Have fun.

Spoiler

// Far Future Technologies 1.0
// Nuclear Smelter
PART
{
  name = fft-antimatter-factory-1
  module = Part
  author = Chris Adderley

MODEL
  {
    model = FarFutureTechnologies/Parts/Resources/fft-antimatter-factory-1
    scale = 1.0,1.0,1.0
  }
  scale = 1
  rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 14.46, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
  node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -17.25, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3

TechRequired = advScienceTech
  entryCost = 2950000
  cost = 1850000
  category = Utility
  subcategory = 0
  title = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_title
  manufacturer = #LOC_FFT_manufacturer_postkerbin_title
  description = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_description
  attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
  mass = 96
  dragModelType = default
  maximum_drag = 0.2
  minimum_drag = 0.2
  angularDrag = 2
  crashTolerance = 7
  maxTemp = 2000 // = 3500
  bulkheadProfiles = size3
  tags = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_tags

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleSystemHeat
    // Cubic metres
    volume = 25.0
    moduleID = isru
    iconName = Icon_Gears
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleAntimatterTank
    FuelName = Antimatter
    ContainmentCost = 2
    DetonationKJPerUnit = 36000
    DetonationRate = 5
    OnLightAnimatorName = onColor
    OffLightAnimatorName = offColor
    AlertLightAnimatorName = alertColor
  }
  RESOURCE
  {
    name = Antimatter
    amount = 100
    maxAmount = 100
  }
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleResourceConverter
    // must be unique
    moduleID = lightElements
    // ModuleSystemHeat moduleID to link to
    systemHeatModuleID = isru
    // The shutdown temperature of the part
    shutdownTemperature = 1300

// The temperature the system contributes to loops
    systemOutletTemperature = 500

// Map loop temperature to system efficiency (0-1.0)
    systemEfficiency
    {
        key = 0 0.0
        key = 500 1.0
        key = 700 0.0
    }
    // Heat generation (kW)
    systemPower = 9500

ConverterName = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_lightElements_ConverterName
    StartActionName = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_lightElements_StartActionName
    StopActionName = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_lightElements_StopActionName
    ToggleActionName = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_lightElements_ToggleActionName
    AutoShutdown = true

GeneratesHeat = false
    DefaultShutoffTemp = .8
    UseSpecialistBonus = true
    SpecialistEfficiencyFactor = 0.2
    SpecialistBonusBase = 0.05
    ExperienceEffect = ConverterSkill
    EfficiencyBonus = 1

INPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      ResourceName = LqdHydrogen
      Ratio = 1
      FlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
    }
    INPUT_RESOURCE
    {

ResourceName = ElectricCharge
      Ratio = 10000
    }
    OUTPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      ResourceName = Antimatter
      Ratio = 0.005
      DumpExcess = false
    }
  }
 MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleSystemHeatConverter
    // must be unique
    moduleID = heavyElements

systemEfficiency
    {
        key = 0 0.0
        key = 500 1.0
        key = 700 0.0
    }
    // Heat generation (kW)
    systemPower = 9500

ConverterName = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_heavyElements_ConverterName
    StartActionName = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_heavyElements_StartActionName
    StopActionName = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_heavyElements_StopActionName
    ToggleActionName = #LOC_FFT_fft-antimatter-factory-1_heavyElements_ToggleActionName
    AutoShutdown = true

GeneratesHeat = false
    DefaultShutoffTemp = .8
    EfficiencyBonus = 1

INPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      ResourceName = FissionPellets
      Ratio = 1
    }
    INPUT_RESOURCE
    {

Ratio = 10000
    }
    OUTPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      Ratio = 0.5
      DumpExcess = false
    }
  }

MODULE
  {
    // must be unique
    moduleID = GraviConversion

systemEfficiency
    {
        key = 0 0.0
        key = 500 1.0
        key = 700 0.0
    }
    // Heat generation (kW)
    systemPower = 9500
    ConverterName = Graviolium Conversion
    StartActionName = Start Factory [Graviolium Conversion]
    StopActionName = Stop Factory [Graviolium Conversion]
    ToggleActionName = Toggle Factory [Graviolium Conversion]
    AutoShutdown = true

GeneratesHeat = false
    DefaultShutoffTemp = .8
    EfficiencyBonus = 1

INPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      Ratio = 0.25
    }
    INPUT_RESOURCE
    {

Ratio = 10000
    }
    OUTPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      ResourceName = Graviolium
      Ratio = 0.0625
      DumpExcess = false
    }
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleColorAnimator

moduleID = alertColor
    animRate = 100
    colorScale = 0.00392156863
    shaderProperty = _TintColor
    includedTransformList = AlertLight
    toggleInEditor = false
    toggleInFlight = false
    redCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 200 0 0
    }
    greenCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 123 0 0
    }
    blueCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 0 0 0
    }
    alphaCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 185 0 0
    }
  }
  MODULE
  {

moduleID = offColor
    animRate = 100
    includedTransformList = OffLight
    toggleInEditor = false
    toggleInFlight = false
    redCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 200 0 0
    }
    greenCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 26 0 0
    }
    blueCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 0 0 0
    }
    alphaCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 185 0 0
    }
  }
  MODULE
  {

moduleID = onColor
    animRate = 100
    includedTransformList = OnLight
    toggleInEditor = false
    toggleInFlight = false
    redCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 4 0 0
    }
    greenCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 200 0 0
    }
    blueCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 0 0 0
    }
    alphaCurve
    {
      key = 0 0 0 0
      key = 1 185 0 0
    }
  }
}

6 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Unfortunately I had to hardcode it into the fft-antimatter-factory-1.cfg itself. It did not accept the heatvalues if i placed it in a separate patch to be applied afterwards (I don't unterstand why. Can somebody explain this?

Hard to say without seeing the actual config that did not work for you. Could be any number of things including just a typo. Post it here?

7 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Hard to say without seeing the actual config that did not work for you. Could be any number of things including just a typo. Post it here?

Spoiler

@PART[fft-antimatter-factory-1]:FINAL
{

MODULE
  {
    // must be unique
    moduleID = GraviConversion

systemEfficiency
    {
        key = 0 0.0
        key = 500 1.0
        key = 700 0.0
    }
    // Heat generation (kW)
    systemPower = 9500

ConverterName = Graviolium Conversion
    StartActionName = Start Factory [Graviolium Conversion]
    StopActionName = Stop Factory [Graviolium Conversion]
    ToggleActionName = Toggle Factory [Graviolium Conversion]