[1.12.X] Rocket Motor Menagerie v1.1.0 - Stockalike Engine Pack

Check out the latest engine up on Github!

FIRtDZ7XEAIts5w?format=png&name=900x900

This gigantic SSME derivative was meant as a Trans-Mars Injection engine for Mars Transfer Vehicles proposed in the 1990s. In KSP, it is 4.5m wide and 8m tall with an ISP of 478s!

Additionally, there is a beta release now available, but it does not have the TMI SSME.

As I have been asked for information and ideas for vehicles and proposals that use these SSME derivatives, I am going to provide a wiki page on the RMM Github (that will be linked on this forum) that will list the vehicle proposals that used these engines and include some images and information. This wiki will be available by the time I release RMM v1.1.0.

3 hours ago, EStreetRockets said:

Check out the latest engine up on Github!

FIRtDZ7XEAIts5w?format=png&name=900x900

This gigantic SSME derivative was meant as a Trans-Mars Injection engine for Mars Transfer Vehicles proposed in the 1990s. In KSP, it is 4.5m wide and 8m tall with an ISP of 478s!

Additionally, there is a beta release now available, but it does not have the TMI SSME.

As I have been asked for information and ideas for vehicles and proposals that use these SSME derivatives, I am going to provide a wiki page on the RMM Github (that will be linked on this forum) that will list the vehicle proposals that used these engines and include some images and information. This wiki will be available by the time I release RMM v1.1.0.

:0.0::0.0::0.0:

That is a Big-S standart engine! Incredible work! So excited for your updates!

Been playing around with the beta and whipped up a Shuttle LRB concept! I love the plumes so much :D!

i5dwOYX.jpgFOGNGME.jpg

The SSME 35s fit great in the Bluedog LDC Titan engine cluster. SOFI probably would not have been used on the boosters but it looks too awesome to pass up on that :P.  But going from small to big... the TMI engine is beautiful! 

RGz7DRr.jpg4mAIFYA.jpgcUL5xG0.jpggD16kby.jpg

The ship is a little cursed but I feel it adds to the charm :). Fantastic work on these engines! As a staunch RS-25 lover I'm happy to see it get treated so well

Edited by Kuiper_Belt

On 1/8/2022 at 9:00 PM, cameronisher3 said:

Now that we've got these wonderful SSME derived engines (plus more coming probably), and SSME itself, one has to wonder if we will see an equally high quality SDLV mod  [thinking emoji]

Have you checked out ReDIRECT? It has parts for SLS, Ares I/V, Orion and the Shuttle external tank and SRBs to go with SOCK. I imagine most SDLVs except for probably Shuttle C could be made using it.

Just now, The Dressian Exploder said:

Have you checked out ReDIRECT? It has parts for SLS, Ares I/V, Orion and the Shuttle external tank and SRBs to go with SOCK. I imagine most SDLVs except for probably Shuttle C could be made using it.

There's an addon to ReDIRECT/SOCK for Shuttle C too

Here are my suggestions for making SDLVs from stockalike mods:

ReDIRECT has great tanks and assorted parts for SDLVs. I recommend using @DylanSemrau's Photon Corp for Shuttle SRBs and @Nertea's Near Future Launch Vehicle for your SLS/inline SDLV engine mount, as it is will fit my SSMEs, while the ReDIRECT engine mount will not. As always, I recommend Bluedog Design Bureau by @CobaltWolf and @Zorg and @Nertea's Cryogenic Engines for other engines needed for SDLVs (RL-10, F-1A/B, RS-68, RL-60, J-2/S/X, etc).

All of these recommendations and a some more information about use cases for RMM engines will be made available on the Wiki page on the RMM Github with the next full release.

On 1/16/2022 at 3:44 AM, The Dressian Exploder said:

I specified "equally high quality" as I feel more modern KSP mod quality surpasses that of REDIRECT. This includes Benjee's own HabTech2 and others. 

Would be nice to see something properly scaled (5.625m, same as with the now numerous Starship mods) and of higher fidelity.

Edited by cameronisher3

19 hours ago, cameronisher3 said:

Would be nice to see something properly scaled (5.625m, same as with the now numerous Starship mods) and of higher fidelity.

slightly-bigger-than-5m has been a thing for a while, IIRC the old BDB saturn parts were this size. Maybe an MM patch to rescale it, as an optional extra?

*realises this isn't reDIRECT's thread*
whoops

Edited by The Dressian Exploder

19 minutes ago, mateusviccari said:

Dude you should update the first post of this thread, it currently says the mod only adds one engine, but reading the last pages, it clearly has evolved a lot.

AFAIK those are dev updates, still not complete.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.