[KSP 1.8+] Kerbal Konstructs (Continued)

NathanKell

Hi there. I have been using my Steam Deck for playing modded KSP. However, when using KK, the Map Decals don't change the terrain. I used all the decals and settings and still, nothing. The statics work without problems. I also cant find player.log since /.config doesn't seem to exist on SteamOS.

KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O9r1Qqi5SLspGYFUaFnsUaRzcNcC5AI4/view?usp=sharing

• 3 weeks later...

Uhhh... I am new to editing KK-stuff, so please be patient to me. :D

Here is what I want to do:

I want to set up an area, where I can put BDA-ground stuff, but don't want to place them directly on the ground, since entering the physics range (even with the terrain extender from physics range extender) things get glitchy and bug out. So, @jrodriguez gave me the advice to place things on KK-elements and not directly on the ground. Can I make some of them industructable, so that the set up scenery doesn't get destroyed, if I used it for BDA-stuff, or can I repair destroyed KK-buildings in a playthrough like I can do with stock buildings (If yes, how?) ? For the beginning I like to have a flat area, to place vessels (to be attacked) on the ground, so some kind of flat indestructable KK-area would be nice, that is not the terrain, as things placed on the terrain glitch out, when you enter the terrain loading (lets say 100km) range, (e.g. when you fly your bomber several hundreds of km from somewhere to the training ground).

How can I do this? I looked in the KK wiki but somehow didn't find the right how-to-do and click-by-click tutorial to get started in designing KK-stuff. Maybe I am too stupid.

And: I heard, that after building stuff, I have to move out the created configs from the Kk-folder in order to preserve them, right?

@Caerfinon you seem to be an expert on KK as I really like your KK-configs. Can you give me a kickstart where to click ... or where to find a click tutorial?

Edited by Rakete

18 minutes ago, Rakete said:

the right how-to-do and click-by-click tutorial to get started in designing KK-stuff.

I wrote a Wiki page that goes over the basics. -> https://github.com/caerfinon/KerbinSideRemasteredGapExtras/wiki/Getting-Started-With-Kerbal-Konstructs 

Destructible KK buildings are described here: 

10 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

I wrote a Wiki page that goes over the basics. -> https://github.com/caerfinon/KerbinSideRemasteredGapExtras/wiki/Getting-Started-With-Kerbal-Konstructs 

Destructible KK buildings are described here: 

Thanks a lot, I think, this is exactly what I was looking for. Merci!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've been using KK for a while but never got around asking questions so please forgive me for this:

Is there a way to properly align statics in a way that prevents slopes between then from forming? Tried fine tuning their altitude but it seens they "jump" on fixed values rather than going up and down smoothly

Is this fixable or something i need to live with? No problem either way, just want to know so i can adapt myself

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "slopes" and I'm no KK expert, but are you using decals?

I'm talking about when you plop 2 statics (ex: a SPH and a runway next to it) and you cant precisely put both at the same altitude in a way that the spot where they touch is perfectly level. There will likely be a small slope when driving from the SPH's surface to the runway surface, or vice versa, because one is slighly higher than the other. I try to mitigate this by tuning both statics altitude to the third decimal but the object "skips" some values and then moves abruptly (ex.: Starting at 10m, then tuning it for 9.9, 9.8, etc... But the static remains in place until the number is some rounded value like 9.0. Then it descends a bit)

All in all i find it very difficult to create a base with a number of statics when its so hard to align their surfaces, but i'm wondering if theres a way around it or if its simply how things are...

7 hours ago, tupidfp said:

Is there a way to properly align statics in a way that prevents slopes between then from forming?

Yes and no. Statics that are from the same mod are usually aligned so that it your absolute offset is the same they should be at the same height.  Mixing and matching statics from different mods requires "fine tuning", both in height and in eliminating slight slope issues between statics that have a sloping base attached. 

When I build I get the pieces as close as I can and then fine adjust with the .01 or .001 increment set on. I then test the ground by driving a rover across the seam until the "bump" when transitioning between one static and the next becomes unnoticeable. It can be painstaking work on a large site.    

QUESTION:

Can animations be controlled in any manner?

I have a floodlight static I'm working with - it presently can be turned on and off via clicking on it (via animation in the MU file) and it automatically turns on and off with the sunrise.

What I (and another) were wondering was if it can be set up so the animation could be stopped part way - as a manner of controlling the brightness of the lights. A setting would be great, but anything would be nice.  I don't think it is, but I thought I'd ask.

BUG?

Also - The animation is set up to start OFF and go to FULL ON over 60 frames. At present, when I load into the launchpad at night, the lamps are lit up - but if I click them they "re-turn on" as if they were off.  After that they turn on and off as normal. Obviously, KK "animate on click" code isn't aware that "animate on sunrise" already set the animation to the last frame. That seems like an edge case bug.

Wiki says it does, Log says it don't...?

LOG:

[WRN 18:30:05.442] KK: [StaticInstance] Spawn: Field mathHorizontalAngle does not exist in AnimateOnSunRise
[WRN 18:30:05.442] KK: [StaticInstance] Spawn: Field horizonAngleOffset does not exist in AnimateOnSunRise
[WRN 18:30:05.457] KK: [StaticInstance] Spawn: Field mathHorizontalAngle does not exist in AnimateOnSunRise
[WRN 18:30:05.458] KK: [StaticInstance] Spawn: Field horizonAngleOffset does not exist in AnimateOnSunRise
[WRN 18:30:05.459] KK: [StaticInstance] Spawn: Field mathHorizontalAngle does not exist in AnimateOnSunRise
[WRN 18:30:05.459] KK: [StaticInstance] Spawn: Field horizonAngleOffset does not exist in AnimateOnSunRise

Module in question:

MODULE
	{
		namespace = KerbalKonstructs
		name = AnimateOnSunRise
		animationName = KSCFLT02
		reverseAnimation = False //True
		timeWarpAnimation = True
		mathHorizontalAngle = True
		horizonAngleOffset = 35
		delayLowTimeWarp = 2f
		delayHighTimeWarp = .1f
   }

• 3 weeks later...

Please forgive the inquiry; I am not smart enough to resolve this on my own.  May I have some help troubleshooting this runway?  It refuses to populate in the launchsite menu.

Spoiler

// Generated by Kerbal Konstructs

STATIC
{
    pointername = sw_runway_1230
    Instances
    {
        UUID = 4f71a9ca-c1a0-475a-b266-68b6c44f74c3
        CelestialBody = Kerbin
        RelativePosition = 0,0.244000003,0
        Orientation = 0.00079999998,0,-0.000199999995
        isScanable = False
        ModelScale = 1
        VisibilityRange = 25000
        Group = MyRunway
        LaunchSite
        {
            FacilityType = KKLaunchSite
            OpenCost = 0
            CloseValue = 0
            FacilityName = KSC_Runway_12
            LaunchPadTransform = spawn
            LaunchSiteName = KSC_RW12
            LaunchSiteAuthor = SW
            LaunchSiteType = SPH
            LaunchSiteDescription = 20140x200
            LaunchSiteLength = 100
            LaunchSiteWidth = 100
            InitialCameraRotation = 90
            LaunchSiteIsHidden = False
            ILSIsActive = False
            OpenCloseState = OPEN
            Category = Runway
        }
    }
}

Spoiler

i4yl36P.png
srliwSJ.png

Thanks,
SW

14 hours ago, SilverWolf said:

Please forgive the inquiry; I am not smart enough to resolve this on my own.  May I have some help troubleshooting this runway?  It refuses to populate in the launchsite menu.

Hopefully @Caerfinon will see and help. Much better than me at this.

Try setting the site type to "Any"

Is this a custom built model? If so did you remember to include the empty that needs to be referenced in its config to allow it to be used as a spawn point?

1 hour ago, SilverWolf said:

Yes, this is a custom built model.

If it's custom then likely you need to fiddle with the model to make it work correctly. Lately I have not been using the built in spawn point of runway models, I rather opt for placing Universal Spawn instances in the locations where I want them. This enables me to set a spawn point at each end of the runway, or at a specific spot in the airport terminal and require the aircraft to taxi to it's runway for take off (Personal preference). Using one of those with your runway may be a quicker fix.  CC: @ColdJ

Edited by Caerfinon

Thank you, @Caerfinon.
Your personal preference would be mine as well, as it were.  How would one create a universal spawn instance, to begin?
Setting that question aside for a moment, since the runway model is the suspect, what might I need to fiddle with?  In the absence of documentation, my spawn point is an empty game object, Y-up Z-rear.  Does the spawn point need a collider?  Is there a layer it must needs be assigned to?  Is it acceptable for it to "rest" on the runway surface, or must it be elevated?

Thanks,
SW

23 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

How would one create a universal spawn instance, to begin?

The Universal spawn point is a default static that is part of Kerbal Konstructs. It appears as  visible circle with a direction arrow. Place it on the ground where you want it. It has the option of being visible, or once placed as you like it, you can make it invisible. 

23 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

what might I need to fiddle with? 

This is not my area of expertise. I typically use the runway models that are shipped with Kerbin Side Remastered. I don't dabble in 3D model creation so I cannot speak to the requirements necessary. 

Edited by Caerfinon

Thank you, @Caerfinon.  I'll look in to that feature.
Good news:  I got something working.  Bad news:  I do not understand why.
At least I've learned that the spawn point needs to be Y-up, Z-forward.
Thanks,
SW

Ahhh, so the spawn point GameObject must be an immediate child to the root GameObject.  It can't be buried in the hierarchy.

Edited by SilverWolf

18 hours ago, SilverWolf said:

Ahhh, so the spawn point GameObject must be an immediate child to the root GameObject.  It can't be buried in the hierarchy.

You got it. Been awhile but you jogged my memory. Took me a while to work that out the first time I made a simple spawn point model.

I must be doing something wrong, but I can't seem to be able to launch from new launch pads I create. 
Steps:
1. Be in-flight with a command pod.

2. Open the KK editor.

3. Create a new launch pad using a Universal spawn point or any Kerbinside Launchpad.

4. Save and stuff.

5. Revert to VAB

6. Open the LaunchSite Selector and find the newly added Launch site and Open it.

7. Set as Launchsite.

8. Launch.

Result: Spawns at KSC default launchsite :(

I've read a lot about KK and went through the forum's posts, and I feel I must be doing something wrong cause after many troubleshooting attempts and confirming that the mod is working by succesfully launching from Kerbinside Launchsites, I can confirm that the issue is about specifically spawning at launchsites I add myself.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can provide! <3

Is anyone else still getting the bug where you cant open the CTRL + K menu on 1.12.5?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot lol. Was trying to open menu from KSC rather than in flight.

Edited by spritefun
ME

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @NathanKell. Thank you for life supporting this wonderful mod.

Not sure if you are still in the mood to handle issues with KSP1 mod, but still hope for the best.

I have found an easy replicable  issue - HANGAR type statics fail to save open status on quick/normal save. It's very useful type of building for KCT careers to store and relaunch planes/helicopters/cars/boats without KCT recovery (which takes time). Really cool feature that the vehicle is stored in place tied to hangar's location, not some common inventory, like KCT does.

Step to reproduce :

1) install KSC Extended with dependencies (including KK itself) from CKAN on pure stock KSP 1.12.5

2) start new career

3) cheat in 100000 funds twice.

4) launch any craft on Runway

5) click on KSC_Builtin_LargeHangarsOpen_0 (looks like couple opened hangars) and open it with 143k funds. <- you can leave the window opened.

6) press quicksave (F5) - now Hangar closed again. Normal save on scene change to KSC view works the same.

What I know @Ger_space rewrote saving facilities state some time ago, changing saving data to save file instead of KK configs.

All the facilities and launch site have line 

isOpen = False / (or True)

but the Hangars do not have. Instead they have 

OpenCloseState = Closed

Looks to me like an oversight for Hangars during transition from cfgs to savefile? 

Could you kindly have a look. Unfortunately I have zero experience in any programming... :(

That's the issue #1

The issue #2:

Also I have noticed, but can't stable reproduce - in some circumstances KK just gives up and reverts open/closed state of facilities to default. Still working on repro...

Edited by evileye.x