KSP2 Roadmap predicted dates?

Has anyone seen a prediction for the roadmap of KSP2? I understand it would be difficult to predict as the game will be releasing early access and has to worry about fine tuning the game from the reported bugs.

But since KSP2 was announced mentioning Orbital Assembly, I've been wanting to experience that so bad. Anyone have any ideas?

14 minutes ago, savagekerbal said:

Has anyone seen a prediction for the roadmap of KSP2? I understand it would be difficult to predict as the game will be releasing early access and has to worry about fine tuning the game from the reported bugs.

But since KSP2 was announced mentioning Orbital Assembly, I've been wanting to experience that so bad. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm personally expecting at least 2 to 3 months between major updates. They have a fully fledged team this time, and profesionals at that. It shouldn't take too long between major updates. 

We should see Colonies and Orbital Construction in about 6 months give or take after launch. Assuming a 3 month dev period between major updates.

Edited by GoldForest

7 minutes ago, Drakenred65 said:

I would say anything from 6 weeks to 6 months for each update. But who knows at this point

Yeah Im on the (maybe?) pessimistic side at 4mo average, so hopefully interstellar by the end of this year?

Personally I'd bank on six months between updates and even that may be too quick. If they're expecting to receive input from the playerbase while development is happening then a six month cadence would at least allow some room to adapt compared to a shorter schedule.

Just now, Snafu225 said:

especially for colonies and new star systems.

That's a good point, the time may vary based on what they're working on. Regardless, I'd still bank on 6 months between updates and letting yourself be pleasantly surprised when and if they exceed that.

1 minute ago, regex said:

Regardless, I'd still bank on 6 months between updates and letting yourself be pleasantly surprised when and if they exceed that.

No no, we don't do that here. We blow every little detail ouf of proportion, basically confirm KSP 3 with little snippets and everything is done tomorrow. /S :P

The writing on the back of the milk carton my son left on the counter states that Sandbox will be about 3 months, Science a bit longer, with Colonies coming out in Early 2024.

MP will happen never soon maybe someday.

1.0 should happen between now and 3024.

7 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Honestly resources seem like they'd take the longest. Thats a lot of very complicated play-balance, raw resource distribution, prospecting, etc. Probably the real reason its at the end.

Everybodys guess is as good as mine. I'd agree. Colonies and the ressource management are likely the most complicated/complex thing to be added.
I hope the interstellar update is mostly just a matter of adding parts and planets, as I hope that the trajectory system etc is mostly done, at least in its fundamental functions.

Mostly this depends on how frontloaded everything is. They may have everything set up to roll out in roughly the order they showed, they may be planing on quarterly releases, and are just using this for feedback, final testing and live QA passes. Who knows.

Edited by Drakenred65

Well the big reason I can't make a good guess is they've developed this game pushing for a full release from the start. I'm considering each of these things have already been in development. I'm assuming they've placed each category in the road map as the progress they've made on each of these. We've got sneak peaks of colonies and an orbital assembly. I know that an image of these things still requires the developed means of how they'll be implemented so that's the  critical part. And all these considered that the game won't release from early access until the road map is completed so the player base will act as the final quality control with bug fixes. I'll say each milestone of the road map will require different lengths of time so here's my best guess:

Science: 1 month from early access release
The original science method in KSP is fine, with some tweaks and some new things to spice it up, I don't believe it'll take long.

Colonies: 3-6 months from early access release
Considering building models are completed, I predict the biggest issue is implementing this with time warp for the surface bases and orbital mechanics for the orbital assemblies. I'm assuming this issue with surface bases will best be tackled as "establishing" the surface colony will turn physics interaction off and otherwise "freeze" the object outside of time warp (as I know KSPs time warp does this to objects). I can predict orbital colonies will require a circularized orbit at a certain orbital height, I'm hoping this isn't the case so I can recreate a munar gateway of the Artemis program. But I see it as the easiest option. I'm assuming the game would give you a prompt to lock the orbital colony in place. I'm just hoping that you can only choose a specific orbital height.

Interstellar: No idea
I know KSP2's development has spent probably the most time involved with subject matter experts of astrophysics and aerospace engineering. They're looking to develop into the theoretical realm which I'm sure is quite the task. The only data we have is from Voyager 1 & 2, which the high radiation of interstellar travel proves we still don't understand exactly how this will affect vehicles. I can see most of the time spent here to be with providing the most accurate representation of what we know and theorize right now. I know mods have implemented this in KSP but they're building the entire game to fit this subject in with it which is a much bigger task.

Exploration: 2-3 months
This should prove the easiest updates as all others have walked before this one can run. The resource system should prove interesting, I'm assuming this is what we'll have to get for mined surface refueling stations. I'm curious if they'll include gas giant mining.

Multiplayer: No idea
I won't even give my two cents of this. Playing with friends would be fun, but I know it'll contribute to less than 1% of my play time. I know that's not the case for others so I hope it isn't long.

Edited by savagekerbal

33 minutes ago, savagekerbal said:

Science: 1 month from early access release

Why wasn't the release moved a couple of weeks later to release already with science? Developers 3 months before the release were sure that they would not have time to do science in 3 months, but they would definitely do it in 4?

I think the speed of development will depend on the success of the game. If it is too buggy, then the developers can release patches for another 6-12 months, throwing all their efforts into it. And if sales are low, the big bosses from T2 can reduce funding or stop further development, fixing a loss. The publisher obviously saves on advertising KSP2.

Spoiler

nljjkhlc1gy91.jpg

(including pic for context in the thread since it hasn't been posted yet)

My guesses:_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Phase 1: I think a fair amount of time will be spent in here, really hope we can find a lot of the bugs together to get the base framework rock solid and I think this is a community capable of making useful bug reports. Really depends on how polished the devs give us the EA in. (2-6 months)

Science: Depending how much they change science I doubt this will be a long time. As I expect it will mostly be just condition checks and balancing. (2 weeks - 1 month)

Colonies: This will probably take a while as there's a lot of mechanics being introduced  and I think there's plenty of room here for breaking the game. (2-4 months)

Interstellar: I think this will be relatively short as its adding parts and planets for which mechanics will be ironed out largely in phase 1 . (1 month)

Exploration: Probably a long wait, not because of the added system, but because I expect the resource gathering mechanics will require a lot of balancing and fixing. (2-3 months)

Multiplayer: Lord knows (2-8 months)

Edited by mcwaffles2003

6 months seems a little too long for me. Keep in mind that they pretty much have everything done already, they just want to test the aspects individually. Colonies and interstellar parts and mechanics are already made. We've seen them. If it does take 6 months, id be surprised. 

I'd say the longest time is probably going to be 4 months, and that's only if they get tons of bugs or one really nasty big they're having trouble squashing. 

Edited by GoldForest

Just now, GoldForest said:

6 months seems a little too long for me. Keep in mind that they pretty much have everything done already, they just want to rest the aspects individually. Colonies and interstellar parts and mechanics are already made. We've seen them. If it does take 6 months, id be surprised. 

I'd say the longest time is probably going to be 4 months, and that's only if they get tons of bugs or one really nasty big they're having trouble squashing.

It really depends on the state we get the game in and how well they want to refine the game before moving forward. I really hope the devs get the base game really well done by the time we move on to science. Also, if there's going to be a time to add new features they haven't planned yet, phase 1 will be the time to do that as all other code will be based on it.

47 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Colonies and interstellar parts

Some, maybe, but most of the colony and interstellar parts look really old. The reactors and fuel factories we saw last year looked a lot better. Im personally hoping they're redesigning colony parts from the ground up. 

14 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

It really depends on the state we get the game in and how well they want to refine the game before moving forward. I really hope the devs get the base game really well done by the time we move on to science. Also, if there's going to be a time to add new features they haven't planned yet, phase 1 will be the time to do that as all other code will be based on it.

I'm with you... but I suspect getting through EA to Science won't be that long; it's well trodden ground and with Science out, effectively puts out KSP 2 as a rebuilt sequel. 

Certainly EA Sandbox will be heavy on bug hunting and hopefully some refinement - but after the first month where most of the glaring problems should be identified... keeping it in EA for much longer likely becomes less important if not detrimental.   Especially when you consider that some people will recreate Grand Tour ships (as close as the available parts will allow) while others (like me) will only build rovers/planes to explore KSC, and a few ships to get out to the Moons (and maybe not much more).  I expect Sandbox to be chaotic and fun to watch what folks come up with... but after that initial explosion?  They'll need to move on to the 'game' aspect and the new stuff.  (I, for one, never spent much time in Sandbox - far preferring 'the game')

Science will give more parts, and thus more bugs to hunt - but the biggest part will be balancing.  That might take a bit longer to have sufficient data.  Some people who are good at the game will crush through stuff really really quickly (visiting anomalies, arches, thingys and stuff) - and given that those who've stuck around this long might be among the best, most experienced KSP players... there's going to be a problem with getting 'bad data' in the form of too many people moving too fast.  I suspect they'll be trying to parse out people like me who struggle to make it past Minmus and all the (hopefully quite a number) new players to the title who will get to go through the same learning process we all did, albeit with 'better onboarding'.  Those players will set the floor for what is the minimum 'science' balance to keep people interested and progressing, while keeping the 'good' players from having it all too easy.  I'm suggesting that this phase might take 1.5 to 3 times as long as EA Sandbox.  The time needed to identify truly 'new' players and 'middling' players and find out what their tolerance is for advancement through the science progression part of the game.  That's their challenge (my guess).

After that - all the 'New' comes out.  And frankly, for me, once I have KSP2 out with Science and it feels like a 'new game' - the latter stages of the roll-out will just be bonus content.  Stuff I look forward to, but don't feel like I 'need' to enjoy the game.  I know there are some desperate for Colonies and Interstellar and MP... but I also suspect that there are a lot of people like me who just want a largely bug-freed KSP rebuild that looks good, is fun and feels new.

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

but I also suspect that there are a lot of people like me who just want a largely bug-freed KSP rebuild that looks good, is fun and feels new.

Yeah. Honestly, flying rockets just doesn't feel good at the framerates KSP 1 offers.

8 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yeah. Honestly, flying rockets just doesn't feel good at the framerates KSP 1 offers.

I certainly hope the FPS in KSP 2 is better in the end, but if you expect that on Feb 24th you might be disappointed.