Between Two Patches

Nate Simpson

image.png

While it’ll be tough to beat the sheer number of fixes that went into Patch One, we’re seeing quite a few big ones go down in Patch Two. We are still pulling a couple of late-breaking improvements into that build - once we’ve got it in QA’s hands we should be able to give you a date, and of course full patch notes will be posted when the build goes public. Until that time, here are a few things that are already checked into Patch Two:

• Fixed loss of vehicle on reference frame change when physicsless parts present
  • Fixed flamed-out engines not restarting properly
  • Enabled switching between vehicles in atmospheric flight (within PhysX bubble)
  • Recovered Kerbals now return to VAB Kerbal Manager
  • Gave click priority to planets rather than moons when zoomed out in Map view
  • Struts and fuel lines no longer broken after cloning subassembly in VAB
  • Fixed bug: vessels with no control deleted during save
  • Fixed flowers on Kerbin
  • Added "next" button to seizure warning screen
  • Height fog added to all atmospheres
  • Updated parking garage collision (now possible to enter structures)
  • Various CPU and GPU optimizations to improve performance

There are other improvements that we’re hoping to squeeze into Patch Two (one of which got checked in last night), so hopefully a few more big-ticket items will get added to the list in the coming days.

Here are a couple of screenshots to show our progress. We have pruned all the hovering flowers made of squares and replaced them with flowers made of flowers:

image.png

We’re also pretty excited about how nice the new height fog is looking. It’s a subtle change, but it adds a lot of depth to the landscape:

image.png

In other news, I did a Discord AMA this morning, and you can read some speedily-typed transcriptions of my answers here (thanks @Dakota). Thank you for all your questions - we received literally thousands of them and did our best to include as wide a variety as possible. This was lots of fun, and we’ll be doing more AMAs in the future! We’ll do our best to choose different questions the next time around so that things don’t get too repetitive. If you’ve got thoughts about how we can improve our AMA process, please let us know!

We’ve also got another Community Highlights post on the forum - it’s very exciting to see how Patch One has unblocked some more ambitious missions! Please keep sharing your creations in the #ksp2_screenshots and #ksp2_challenges Discord channels- our team is fueled by your crashes achievements! We’ve also added an upvote system to both of those Discord channels. If you like something, add an :upvote: emoji. If an image in one of those channels gets fifteen or more upvotes, it’ll appear in a new channel called #ksp2_bestof. If you posted a screenshot you’re proud of that has now been lost in the mists of time, feel free to resubmit your creation so that the community can give it the upvotes it deserves!

Also, the KSP Forums have themes now! You can opt into them by clicking the theme dropdown at the bottom of the page:

image.png

And speaking of Weekly Challenges, we’ve got a new one: this week, we’re heading out to Duna! Check out the Discord for details!

Have a great weekend. :) 

Two things:

6 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Also, the KSP Forums have themes now! You can opt into them by clicking the theme dropdown at the bottom of the page:

image.png

One, didn't know I needed this!

6 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Various CPU and GPU optimizations to improve performance

Two, will the system requirements change at all? Even a smidge? (Please say yes I'm begging)

Thanks for your continued work KSP team!

Edited by Kerballlistic07

14 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

image.png

These are new? I just noticed these a few days ago after scrolling down to the bottom of the page and thought they were always there. Nice to see development on an old forum page!

The dark mode especially is very welcoming.

Edited by Clayel

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, Clayel said:

These are new? I just noticed these a few days ago after scrolling down to the bottom of the page and thought they were always there. Nice to see development on an old forum page!

They've actually been enabled for a couple of weeks, they're just hidden at the bottom of the page! I was fixing up a couple things before wanting to share it.

Very nice, addressing some big small pain points overall.

Dark mode is also especially welcome! Idk why light mode is the standard default mode.... disgraceful 

If you can share this with us, would be curious to know if we can expect fixes for either the drag bugs, or asparagus bug in the next patch?

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, FlazeTheDragon said:

Dark mode is also especially welcome! Idk why light mode is the standard default mode.... disgraceful 

I was told by @Snarkand @Gargamelthat there would be riots if I changed the default. I'm more of a darkmode person myself, but totally respect getting attached to the way the forum has looked for checks watch a long time.

4 minutes ago, Dakota said:

I was told by @Snarkand @Gargamelthat there would be riots if I changed the default. I'm more of a darkmode person myself, but totally respect getting attached to the way the forum has looked for checks watch a long time.

Could probably just set there specific themes to light mode and, in secret, change default to dark mode. They would never know

Spoiler

EosusUb.gif

Edited by FlazeTheDragon

I just wanna say, I specifically made an account to post about this, but I have kept faith with you guys this whole time and while I believe right now the game is in a rough spot (much better after patch 1) I cannot stress how important it is to community morale that you take the time our of your day to post things like this a couple times a month. I think that as long as you can keep communication open like this and continue to back it up then it will not take very long for the community's opinion to turn around for the better. I don't know fully what happened behind the scenes, I'm guessing it can't be talked about because you're all so passionate about the game and it probably hurt you just as much to have to release it in a undone state as much as it did for people who were waiting so long to receive it this way. The main thing is that I and many others believe in you guys and this game, but in order to get everyone on board and keep morale up on the community end these posts will be crucial, thank you for all the work you put in,

godspeed devs

Can we please get the option to resize UI text? The UI is really hard to read on high resolution ultra wide screen monitors. 

Also can we add the ability to use the mouse wheel to change the POV height in the VAB

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

Fixed loss of vehicle on reference frame change when physicsless parts present

Does this also address the inability to stage launch from bodies?

That was kinda distressing when challenged to an Apollo style mission, but if you tried to do the ascent stage launch from the Munar surface it would just... not let you leave, and keep teleporting you back to the ground because you were "Landed"

2 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

It’s a subtle change,

It's way more than subtle change and I bet that was what everyone including my dog (which I don't have) and neighbor (who doesn't play KSP) wanted and needed.

Things about to get even more pretty and today I was already blown away by volcanos on Ike and Dunian sunset.

Edited by The Aziz