Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

What is forum moderation to you personally

It is a hobby for me. My interest in the game itself waxes and wanes over time, but I've made a great set of friends here. 

How do you folks organize things with other moderators behind the scenes

We have an internal chat where we discuss moderation. But mostly make stupid jokes. 

What are some difficult choices 

What to allow and what not to allow. One time I recall we discussed something for several hours before reluctantly saying we should risk letting it be posted. And not a single forum member ever commented on it. 

What are some of the most fun and enjoyable activities you do as a moderator?

Talking to the guys. 

How much time in your day is taken up by moderation?

30 minutes to 3 hours, depending on how busy things are. 

I skip around and read threads which are interesting to me or which seem likely to experience trouble, and of course we look at the posts which are reported to us. Sometimes I just click on threads I don't normally read as a random check. 

17 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

How does moderating actually work? Do you go through the posts you want to visit or do you skim through as many posts as possible looking for rule infractions or something else entirely?

I do not think of myself as a forum police officer looking for some unsuspecting forum speeder to give a ticket to, if that's what you're wondering. I simply go do what I like to do on the forum. I participate in the forum games, I share my screenshots, I welcome newcomers to the forum and the game, and I do try to write my fan-fic. I also approve new member's posts, which I love doing. :)

Unfortunately, I do have to put on the ol' moderator's hat when I come across stuff that shouldn't be here. But it's not for the reason some people think moderators do that kind of thing. We do it because the community deserves a place that's relatively free from disrespect and disruption. We have a reputation of being accepting and accommodating. We're a giant hug-box and have community members of all backgrounds, demographics, and every other box people come in (and I really hate boxes :huh: people are people).  And when someone disrupts that harmony, we have to do what we can to fix it. It's why we rely on the goodwill of the community to report what you come across so we can take care of those things.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a question about ignoring users but.. could there be an option to ignore threads? If I don't want to participate in one or something (I frequently visit forum sections, check if there are new posts and leave if there aren't any), I'd simply mark one as ignored and it would be kept as read, without bolding when a new post appears.

The polar opposite of "follow thread".

Edited by The Aziz

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

There was a question about ignoring users but.. could there be an option to ignore threads? If I don't want to participate in one or something (I frequently visit forum sections, check if there are new posts and leave if there aren't any), I'd simply mark one as ignored and it would be kept as read, without bolding when a new post appears.

The polar opposite of "follow thread".

While an interesting idea, unlike a user who will just pop up randomly in threads you’re reading, you could just not click on that thread?    I do see it’s potential use though.  

Sure, but when it's bolded it sort of grabs the attention. "Oh, is this something I've not read yet?" And it turns out it's once again one of those threads I'm not interested in reading. When ignored, it would simply fade into the background of read/inactive threads.

Edited by The Aziz

1 hour ago, user544 said:

how to insert images onto replys and threads?

Howdy. :) You should be able to simply copy a link into your post. You will need to put the image on a hosting site first, though. Imgur is easy to use and does not charge. 

22 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Howdy. :) You should be able to simply copy a link into your post. You will need to put the image on a hosting site first, though. Imgur is easy to use and does not charge. 

BUT IT doas not work bruh

2 minutes ago, user544 said:

It does work.    Just paste a link directly to the image on the hosting service, not a website or a gallery. and it will embed.    Something like www.imgur.com/blahblah/7dhj398fj390.png will embed directly.

On 7/13/2023 at 1:15 AM, Vanamonde said:

testing

t3yHHuO.png

You're better off using the one that says Direct link.  I believe the Forums strip the tag from the link, so the bbcode should work, but might not always work. 

Aziz, Light!

I'm getting '500' errors (forum can't handle the request) trying to link directly to Science and Spaceflight from a Google search.

1. Search: KSP Forums.
  2. Click "Science & Spaceflight"
  3. fail

It is intermittent.  Happens both on mobile (Chrome) and PC (Edge).  Always the same error.

Above this line is a current problem being reported to the team

WHY CAN I NOT SEPARATE THOUGHTS INTO DIFFERENT REPLIES?

Below this line is a response to someone else's problem

On 7/11/2023 at 10:55 PM, user544 said:

how to insert images onto replys and threads?

On 7/12/2023 at 10:22 PM, user544 said:

On 7/12/2023 at 10:26 PM, Gargamel said:

It does work.    Just paste a link directly to the image on the hosting service, not a website or a gallery. and it will embed.    Something like www.imgur.com/blahblah/7dhj398fj390.png will embed directly.

I have to do an 'indirect' link from Imgur.  Basically I upload the image to Imgur, then I skip trying to use the suggested link, right click on the image and open in new tab.  That has an address that ends in something the forums will recognize.  Copy and Paste and the image appears.  

4WnkiSb.jpg

If I use the suggested link, all that shows up is the link - not the image

https://imgur.com/a/YoOnApG

...Okay, I used my current problem to highlight my answer to the other poster's problem.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli