Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

On 3/31/2023 at 9:17 AM, The Aziz said:

I wanted to ask how to access most of the editor tools like quotes, code box, lists etc, on mobile, because swiping definitely doesn't work.

On 5/9/2023 at 12:55 AM, Gargamel said:

I don’t know, but I too await an answer.   Because on mobile I really need code blocks more than I need spoilers.  :s

I don't know that this gives you what you're looking for, but have you tried holding your mobile in landscape mode?

hoMZSj8.png

You can also see how some of those icons don't stand out very well in dark mode....

Sort of. It isn't particularly convenient though since the keyboard covers nearly the entire screen when it's open and what's left is the browser interface. And switching back and forth between portrait and landscape would be tedious even on rare occasions when I have to use one of these buttons.

But glad to know it exists in one way or another.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the forum currently experiencing technical issues? On mobile, ios 16.4.1 (a) and earlier today it looked correct but for about the last 30-40 minutes its been kinda borked. Example upper right corner where you either sign into your account or make a new one if youre new is just 3 hollow squares now. The markers for read/unread threads or new posts in read threads are not looking correct either as in they are just colored circles with no icons in them…

• Community Manager
28 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Is the forum currently experiencing technical issues? On mobile, ios 16.4.1 (a) and earlier today it looked correct but for about the last 30-40 minutes its been kinda borked. Example upper right corner where you either sign into your account or make a new one if youre new is just 3 hollow squares now. The markers for read/unread threads or new posts in read threads are not looking correct either as in they are just colored circles with no icons in them…

Poked the hamsters a bit and got them running again. Let me know if the issue persists on your end.

9 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Poked the hamsters a bit and got them running again. Let me know if the issue persists on your end.

And this is why we want the capybaras back. They were less troublesome than hampsters. If we cannot have them in the game, maybe we can let 'em dominate the forum.

hey mods i was wondering what would happen if someone posted and at the exact same time the thread is lock 

example 

i am posting in dont click this and as i click post the thread is locked at the same time 

would the post still appear 

@Vanamonde @kspbutitscursed I actually know the answer to this. I got the chance to find out with the help of one of the mods a while back. I had wondered the same thing and a thread was unlocked by the mod specifically to find out. In a coordinated effort between us the thread was unlocked and my test post was loaded into the editor and I signaled my ready status and the thread was locked with my post in the editor. I got the signal it was locked and tried to post. The post failed. The thread lock takes temporal precedent over a post. I want to say I remember which mod helped me with this, but honestly cannot recall :( but it was beyond cool for them to help and i was and still am grateful for the help to learn about that subject!

On 6/6/2023 at 12:17 PM, AlamoVampire said:

In a coordinated effort between us the thread was unlocked

Nope. That thread has remained locked since it first was, many many years ago. :)

13 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Any chance that our rep can be highlighted in the green boxes again? That look felt friendlier than the antiseptic look our profile page has now.

Check again.   I think it’s been fixed.    Cache error apparently 

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

But the people who reply to them? Without quotes, perhaps?

I don't think I'd mind, if there are quotes it's just stuff I don't want to be a part of, if it doesn't make sense I pass it by, and if there's something interesting there I'll read it and might even respond. It's just that I've filtered out an entire category of users and the cloaks clutter up the threads where they congregate (and I'd rather not ignore those threads because the devs often post there too, and I am interested in what they have to say).

9 hours ago, Periple said:

posts from ignored users are completely hidden instead of appearing behind a cloak

I don't think there's a forum setting for it, but if you have an ad blocker extension installed in your browser, this filter seems to work:

wNpZoq9.png

17 hours ago, Periple said:

Would it be possible to have a "hard ignore" option? As in, posts from ignored users are completely hidden instead of appearing behind a cloak. It would make threads with lots of ignored users much more comfy!

Apparently not. :(

I've got a few questions about the experiences and structure of KSP forum moderation:

• What is forum moderation to you personally (a job, a chore, a noble service, etc.)?
  • How do you folks organize things with other moderators behind the scenes?
  • What are some difficult choices you guys make as a team?
  • What are some difficult choices you make as an individual moderator?
  • What are some of the most fun and enjoyable activities you do as a moderator?
  • How much time in your day is taken up by moderation?