[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 3/18/2016 at 2:00 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Hey y'all, just uploaded some work I got done today. The Altair, Antares, STAR37 and STAR48 are more or less in game. Give them a test, tell me if they're awful. Don't have time to upload screenshots, sorry.

Sorry is this in your GitHub or a DropBox? What link for these new parts?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found an old link to your Github and I see the recent stuff. Gonna try it out now.

Edited by OTmikhail

5 hours ago, OTmikhail said:

Sorry is this in your GitHub or a DropBox? What link for these new parts?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found an old link to your Github and I see the recent stuff. Gonna try it out now.

Glad to know you found it. Let me know what you think. :)

2 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

"Do Saturn IB, Dyno-Soar..."

1458501978-maybe.jpg

Thanks. :P

So, few things. First, the last couple nights I've put in perhaps a total of an hour (huge deal I know) of time into... actually playing the game! Specifically, I was trying to get a feel for what the early game progression looked like with BDB installed. Here's my first three, ah, successful launches. I was using 30% science return, they only encompass rockets built using parts available at the start, then basicRocketry and engineering 101, then the stability node to grab the solar batteries. I'll be glad to have the new solar antenna model in the game - it is basically flat and fits in fairings far better. And it has more than twelve polygons total. :P
In order, the launches are a Sienno core on top of a Brun first stage, Aquilae second stage that either didn't make orbit, or just barely did - either way it returned temperature and radiation readings from the upper atmosphere and space. The second launch is a Brun(which on closer inspection is using a tweakscaled Vexin)-Satevis-Aquilae three stage rocket. I forgot to screencap the second probe but it is basically the same as the third, minus the solar batteries. The third launch is a Sandstone-Satevis-Rubis, which was used to send a modified version of the second probe on a Munshot. The gimbal on the engine is locked and control is provided by four vernier fins. I know the Sandstone wouldn't produce enough generator exhaust, just deal with it. :) The probe successfully fired it's kick motor, bringing it within the low orbit biome during the flyby and returning plenty of science. Not pictured was a bog standard Hermes-Sandstone launch inbetween probes two and three, to get enough science to unlock the solar panels.  

Second order of business. While browsing this page, I stumbled across a couple things that tickled my fancy, so I decided to have a go at them. First is a combination antenna + dish from the Giotti probe, and second is a electrical engine array (@hoojiwana that's why I asked) . I would like to have some primitive ion stuff, preferably a bit earlier in the tree than current ions but at high cost and less efficiency (perhaps a MM script to make the price come down once better ions are available). The Soviets had probes with working ion RCS back in the sixties, so those will be added as well. These are not going to be in the upcoming 0.10 update, they're going to be included in the 'Probes and Gemini and MOL oh my!' update that is planned for release 0.11. But I felt like doing some modeling today so here's what y'all got. I also started UV unmapping the remaining solid booster stuff so that will be coming to you in the next several days.

jo5nQFq.png

xJdM0aY.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

First, the last couple nights I've put in perhaps a total of an hour (huge deal I know) of time into... actually playing the game!

What is this heresy?! :P No really, I hope you can find the time to enjoy the game more often. I adamantly don't mind waiting longer between releases if burnout can be avoided.

I like your new part 'sketches' a lot, those appear to be interesting combinations.

I too put together some assorted photos! I'll embed a couple and send you to my imgur page if more interest requires slaking.

This one was from the first prerelease of the Sargent-a-like boosters. We picked a (pack of pickled) pog(s) core as I hadn't had a chance to update the RT patch for the plethora of new cores yet.

(EDIT: As I stare at this post and realize that isn't a pog core at all. Oh well, we 'named' it that anyway :P )

This one features at least one of the new cores recently previewed/released. I of course blank on its ingame title, as well as its inspirational namesake, but I called it the 'Bullet mk1' for simplicities sake. A few shots sneaked into the album above somehow :/

I can't claim wild or mild success with either of these, but sunday evening/hooky game sessions often end that way :D

Now, off to have one of those just now, actually!

Edited by komodo
I can totally remember the names of things.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thanks. :P

So, few things. First, the last couple nights I've put in perhaps a total of an hour (huge deal I know) of time into... actually playing the game! Specifically, I was trying to get a feel for what the early game progression looked like with BDB installed. Here's my first three, ah, successful launches. I was using 30% science return, they only encompass rockets built using parts available at the start, then basicRocketry and engineering 101, then the stability node to grab the solar batteries. I'll be glad to have the new solar antenna model in the game - it is basically flat and fits in fairings far better. And it has more than twelve polygons total. :P
In order, the launches are a Sienno core on top of a Brun first stage, Aquilae second stage that either didn't make orbit, or just barely did - either way it returned temperature and radiation readings from the upper atmosphere and space. The second launch is a Brun(which on closer inspection is using a tweakscaled Vexin)-Satevis-Aquilae three stage rocket. I forgot to screencap the second probe but it is basically the same as the third, minus the solar batteries. The third launch is a Sandstone-Satevis-Rubis, which was used to send a modified version of the second probe on a Munshot. The gimbal on the engine is locked and control is provided by four vernier fins. I know the Sandstone wouldn't produce enough generator exhaust, just deal with it. :) The probe successfully fired it's kick motor, bringing it within the low orbit biome during the flyby and returning plenty of science. Not pictured was a bog standard Hermes-Sandstone launch inbetween probes two and three, to get enough science to unlock the solar panels.  

Neat. you [kinda] got to actually play your own mod for once! :D

Did somebody say sounding rockets?

No one? Not even Cobalt? No one at all?

Well everyone knows I'm an expert at disappointing, so here's some things I made against your direct request not to. :P

AFWFhgj.png

Don't worry, @CobaltWolf, this is what's going to teach me to UV unwrap, So I'll try and do this one mostly on my own. I just really want some proper Sounding Rocket parts in the mod, seeing as we're supposed to be helping people super early on with super small things. Their diametre is 0.325m or something thereabouts. I don't remember. It's 1:00 AM and I'm a little out of it. :P

7 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Don't worry, @CobaltWolf, this is what's going to teach me to UV unwrap, So I'll try and do this one mostly on my own. I just really want some proper Sounding Rocket parts in the mod, seeing as we're supposed to be helping people super early on with super small things. Their diametre is 0.325m or something thereabouts. I don't remember. It's 1:00 AM and I'm a little out of it. :P

You rebel. It'll also teach you how to animate parachutes, I guess. :)

5 hours ago, komodo said:

This one was from the first prerelease of the Sargent-a-like boosters. We picked a (pack of pickled) pog(s) core as I hadn't had a chance to update the RT patch for the plethora of new cores yet.

You couldn't remember what the loop antennas in the first image of the first album was. I believe that they are folded dipole antennas from the Squiggsey Space Research Microsat mod.

9 hours ago, NotAgain said:

You couldn't remember what the loop antennas in the first image of the first album was. I believe that they are folded dipole antennas from the Squiggsey Space Research Microsat mod.

That sounds about right, I've just recently stuffed them in my gamedata directory, so it would make sense. Thanks!

14 hours ago, komodo said:

*snip*

Cool stuff! Why did you jam so many fins on the rocket in the second album? Seems like a waste of weight. The probe is based on Pioneer 4 and is called 'Amba'.

12 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Well everyone knows I'm an expert at disappointing, so here's some things I made against your direct request not to. :P

Uh huh. :P Go for it. I don't really see the point of a sounding rocket - the tech tree is already insanely compressed as-is. But go for it. I have to pass final approval on the UV maps before I texture it.

11 hours ago, akron said:

You rebel. It'll also teach you how to animate parachutes, I guess. :)

Don't encourage her. :)

9 hours ago, NotAgain said:

18 minutes ago, komodo said:

That sounds about right, I've just recently stuffed them in my gamedata directory, so it would make sense. Thanks!

Yeah it definitely wasn't BDB.

I've been out all day running around the city, filling out paperwork and background checks for my internship. Though I suppose it will be worth it, since hopefully I'll have some time to get to know this:

history-lunar3.jpg?itok=HfyiUUgi

It's a mockup of a LEM made at full scale by retired Grumman engineers for the museum. According to legend (read: wikipedia) it actually reused some components meant for LM-14, which was never completed and would have flown on Apollo 19. I can actually see it from my apartment building I think - this is an old picture and my high rise was built last year, but it would be off in the distance to the left of that tree behind the LEM.

Tonight I'll be seeing how much I can finish for the update. Right now I have the new sepratrons unwrapped, and then I'll try and finish the other stuff for the update. We're nearly there - expect a release candidate in the next couple days. :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

13 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

AFWFhgj.png

Reminds me of the WAC that @Beale worked on for his Taerobee Mod. Looks awesome already and I can't wait to have it in game.:) Although I have one small request with this. The real Wac-Corporal had the solid 1st stage Corporal rocket, which you have labeled as Small Sam (I like it), but what you have labeled as a Sustainer SRB, in real life was a liquid fueled rocket. Solid bottom, liquid top. I think it would make a great addition to BDB, and my only other addition to this would be a Brun tank that starts at 0.625m and tapers up to 0.325m ( or 0.300m, whatever size the baby Sergeant decouplers already are), why? So i can build V-2/Hermes/Bumper rockets. 

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Love the new Solids! Of course my first test launch I tried to fly all 4 on the same rocket, but quickly realized that wouldn't work :D I really like them though, I feel like its really completing the early US rocketry with these solid upper stages. I'm constantly amazed by everyone's work here at BDB to produce these parts. Although so far my favorites are the later STARR models (round ones) especially the auto-shrouds, everything just fits together so well.

Dat roadmap tho. HooooOOOooooo boi we are getting close here. I've pushed a bunch of stuff onto Github. Mostly just more tweaks but also included the new Perfectrons based on @PDCWolf's work. They need a touch more work on the textures, but I'm moving to some other stuff for the rest of the night. :)

DF0Iz3A.png

EDIT: Annnnd Super HAPS is modeled. It is 1.25m, while HAPS is 0.9375m. Time to start UV unwrapping... :)

Jb14L4F.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

"Cool stuff! Why did you jam so many fins on the rocket in the second album? Seems like a waste of weight. The probe is based on Pioneer 4 and is called 'Amba'."

(Pretend the quote feature actually worked correctly... :mad:)

Aha, there we go. Stupid mobile interface. Ahem.

I don't know. Seriously. I often play late at night on the weekend (sober, I swear!), and the why often gets lost. 

Looking at it, if I were me (and I am, I hope), I'd say the design engineer found that fins were needed, so why not make it look cool at the same time. Cause fins are pretty cool, let's admit it. They're cheap, and not all that heavy in the grand scheme of things. And judging by the fact that apparently I bumped up to my part cap, due to only seeing one clamp, I can only suspect that said engineer had to cut some additional coolness off the fins before production :P

I wonder sometimes what the thought was from the week before when I load up my save. My last career I named "Horizons QM"; Horizons clearly refers to the New Horizons system/planet/pack/thing of @KillAshley, but I have literally no idea what "QM" stands for. Memory is the first to go, right? ><

Additionally, that's a pretty boss LM mockup, boss!; sounds like quite the thing to see! (Now we just need to get it some fins---)

Edited by komodo
Because **** mobile web sites, that's why.

9 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

@OTmikhail, its not really supposed to be Aerobee or anything... Just based off of real things, made into my own parts. It's how I usually do things, unless I'm supposed to be modeling something real like the RL10 or the ablestar AJ10

All at the same time, I like me some tiny rockets :D

of course, now I have an uncontrolable urge to build a tower of rockets; what's our biggest option thus far, Muo-V? Perhaps we can hoist a Prometheus atop that... With a Thor hat of course. Who's wearing an Etoh-Alphastar naturally. Which just wouldn't be complete without a Brun for good measure. I think that may be sufficient to get the sounding rocket aloft. Maybe. Only one way to find out! (Hopefully someone will be inspired, else I'll have to mutilate something suitable come this weekend... :D ) MOAR BOOSTERS are almost certainly to be required... Although I suspect this stack may be able to be lofted by the new S-IC-8 from RSB--, ok, I'll quit :p)

4 minutes ago, komodo said:

of course, now I have an uncontrolable urge to build a tower of rockets; what's our biggest option thus far, Muo-V? Perhaps we can hoist a Prometheus atop that... With a Thor hat of course. Who's wearing an Etoh-Alphastar naturally. Which just wouldn't be complete without a Brun for good measure.

Please enlighten me: what the hell are you talking about? :P

Are you guys high?? Whats with the obsession of stacking rockets on top of each other into some kind of unholy contraption?? Oh, who am I kidding. Without Able-Ablestar-Redstone-Thor-Titan I-Titan IV-Atlas V my life wouldn't be the same. 

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Contraption making should be in the Kerbal engineer curriculum, if it isn't already.

(I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before now, actually, the rocket tower :| )  

(although without getting into it beyond a musing, I think if such a monstrosity was erected, the whole of Kerbal-kind would see it as anything but "unholy" :P)

Edited by komodo

13 hours ago, komodo said:

of course, now I have an uncontrolable urge to build a tower of rockets; what's our biggest option thus far, Muo-V? Perhaps we can hoist a Prometheus atop that... With a Thor hat of course. Who's wearing an Etoh-Alphastar naturally. Which just wouldn't be complete without a Brun for good measure.

13 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Are you guys high?? Whats with the obsession of stacking rockets on top of each other into some kind of unholy contraption?? Oh, who am I kidding. Without Able-Ablestar-Redstone-Thor-Titan I-Titan IV-Atlas V my life wouldn't be the same. 

HAHAHA I thought I was the only one! I like to call such a contraption the ClusterF*** 7 or ClusterF*** 70X depending on how many boosters it gets :) Although now I'm thinking of calling it "Unholy Aggragate 666" or something along those lines.

24 minutes ago, OTmikhail said:

HAHAHA I thought I was the only one! I like to call such a contraption the ClusterF*** 7 or ClusterF*** 70X depending on how many boosters it gets :) Although now I'm thinking of calling it "Unholy Aggragate 666" or something along those lines.

Why.

There will be a release candidate for BDB 0.10 tonight. What does that mean? It means I'm going to post a dev build, and if nobody complains in the next couple days, that build becomes the next official update. It will get uploaded to GitHub, Spacedock, and (hopefully) (finally) CKAN, if someone wants to handle setting that up. :) If anyone knows who I could bother about that without being a burden, please drag them here. In the mean time, here's some screenshots from HAPS testing. I completely forgot that I had made the single stick SRM-1207 that @TimothyC suggested, seen here rescaled to 1.5m. It's a pretty cool part. The payloads include parts from @akron's newest Coatl dev build.

(Imgur is acting weird so I'll try and upload this album later)

P.S. Take a look at the roadmap and you'll know who to blame for the delay on the release candidate. :P

Edited by CobaltWolf

30 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Why.

There will be a release candidate for BDB 0.10 tonight. What does that mean? It means I'm going to post a dev build, and if nobody complains in the next couple days, that build becomes the next official update. It will get uploaded to GitHub, Spacedock, and (hopefully) (finally) CKAN, if someone wants to handle setting that up. :) If anyone knows who I could bother about that without being a burden, please drag them here. In the mean time, here's some screenshots from HAPS testing. I completely forgot that I had made the single stick SRM-1207 that @TimothyC suggested, seen here rescaled to 1.5m. It's a pretty cool part. The payloads include parts from @akron's newest Coatl dev build.

(Imgur is acting weird so I'll try and upload this album later)

P.S. Take a look at the roadmap and you'll know who to blame for the delay on the release candidate. :P

Duuude those HAPS look great, and super useful! NASA knows what they are doing and can send payloads with solid rocket fuel upper stages. I cannot.

7 minutes ago, akron said:

Duuude those HAPS look great, and super useful! NASA knows what they are doing and can send payloads with solid rocket fuel upper stages. I cannot.

HAPS is Hydrazine Auxiliary Propulsion System. :P It's monopropellant. And it's flown by Orbital ATK on Pegasus and Minotaur, I don't know if NASA has ever used one (?). Either way, it's obscure and a pain to find information on.

Edited by CobaltWolf

50 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

HAPS is Hydrazine Auxiliary Propulsion System. :P It's monopropellant. And it's flown by Orbital ATK on Pegasus and Minotaur, I don't know if NASA has ever used one (?). Either way, it's obscure and a pain to find information on.

I worded that poorly. I knew they use monoprop. I meant I'd rather use those instead of a solid motor as my orbital insertion stage, let alone a transfer stage. From my probe research I found out NASA commonly uses solid motors for those purposes when launching probes, like the Inertial Upper Stage (If you don't make this I will), Star 48, etc.

Just now, akron said:

I worded that poorly. I knew they use monoprop. I meant I'd rather use those instead of a solid motor as my orbital insertion stage, let alone a transfer stage. From my probe research I found out NASA commonly uses solid motors for those purposes when launching probes, like the Inertial Upper Stage (If you don't make this I will), Star 48, etc.

Ah, I misunderstood. I have IUS on the list for the Atlas / Titan update.