Back to our regular scheduled programming-

The Hurricane is much better than the P-40, not as fast, but definitely a more forgiving engine that can be ran for longer (example being 16" manifold pressure increase on the already max power lasting 10 minutes). Guns do a whole lot less damage and ammo conservation is key, so you have to be very careful and choose your shots wisely. A lot of work goes into convergence, ranging, angle, deflection shooting, etc. But when you get a proper burst off, it feels oh so rewarding. It feels a lot lighter than the P-40, can turn a lot better, it's just a little slow but far, far more competitive in a dogfight. I don't feel like i'm just flying around waiting to get shot down anymore. Just have to be careful of the ammunition, as the RPM of the 7.7mm is quite high.

W17uyA1.jpg

5dogOXb.jpg

OFbXuCg.jpg

On 1/1/2024 at 12:35 PM, XLjedi said:

I truly miss the early days of flight sim where you flew missions and there was a storyline and campaign... and the war situation would adjust to your mission outcome.

We have truly lost something wonderful.

Have you given FalconBMS a go? it's a mod for the original Falcon 4.0, but modernizes the game quite a lot. And the dynamic campaign it has is simply great.

But yeah I agree that the older flightsims where better, they where simply grander in scale. IL2 and DCS look really nice and can be tons of fun. But man wouldn't it be nice to have large scale battles again.

Edited by KerbolExplorer

14 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

I got Jedi Survivor and Stray for the PS5 on Christmas. Both are pretty fun. Anybody else play these?

Yep been playin Jedi Survivor like crazy on Xbox Series X over here. 

and also... GOAT SIMULATOR 3 lmao its so ridiculous its actually hilariously fun

Edited by Astra Infinitum

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not in the target audience, but I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE

All the more cynical that it's coming out just behind the wave of official Starship Troopers games.

Edited by DDE

On 1/3/2024 at 9:52 AM, TwoCalories said:

I've been thinking of getting Digital Combat Simulator, as I really want to have an accurate dogfighting simulator. However, I've done a little research, and it seems like, to have the optimal experience, I'll need to get a whole HOTAS setup and some kind of TrackIR, which seems like a lot of money already, but then the game seems heavily reliant of DLCs for the planes. And that's not even including the amount of time I'll have to spend reading the aircraft manuals and understanding how to fly it. So, the TL;DR for that is that it seems that this game is a huge investment to play, of money and time.

So, my question to all the other DCS players is, is it worth it? And as a side question, do I really need all that specialized equipment?

So, I bought a HOTAS setup and a free trial of the F/A-18C. I now have two weeks to try out the game. Also, @Chel, I can't download the head tracking you suggested for some reason. It seems quite old, and I'm not sure it's still maintained.

But anyway, I've got over 600 total pages of manuals to read, and a short miscellaneous playlist of Top Gun songs and other random 80's music to grind to. Here I go, I guess...

15 hours ago, TwoCalories said:

So, I bought a HOTAS setup and a free trial of the F/A-18C. I now have two weeks to try out the game. Also, @Chel, I can't download the head tracking you suggested for some reason. It seems quite old, and I'm not sure it's still maintained.

But anyway, I've got over 600 total pages of manuals to read, and a short miscellaneous playlist of Top Gun songs and other random 80's music to grind to. Here I go, I guess...

UPDATE: Read at least 30 pages of the User Manual before realizing I'd read everything I needed and the other 75% percent is for the Mission Builder, which I can get into later. Now 40 pages into the F/A-18C Manual, and I'm trying to figure out the cockpit systems. I watched YouTube tutorials on setting up my controls too, so that's done.

Welp, guess I better get back to reading...

5 hours ago, TwoCalories said:

UPDATE: Read at least 30 pages of the User Manual before realizing I'd read everything I needed and the other 75% percent is for the Mission Builder, which I can get into later. Now 40 pages into the F/A-18C Manual, and I'm trying to figure out the cockpit systems. I watched YouTube tutorials on setting up my controls too, so that's done.

Welp, guess I better get back to reading...

UPDATE x2: I got sick of reading manuals and just watched more of the YouTube tutorials. They were much easier to digest and was able to get through some of the Training missions. I would say that piloting came to me naturally, but...

...It actually kind of... did! I guess all those hundreds of hours of KSP really paid off.

I went through the Basic Flight, Cold Start, and Taxi and Takeoff ones. I'll probably have to go through them again sometime, to memorize the procedures.

Been playing a small indie title called Team Fortress 2. You've probably never heard of it. Jokes aside, people can sometimes be really fun. Here's a conga line that was started in out base by someone on the enemy team. We made it all the way to their bases entrance until some tryhards on both of are teams killed us all off.

DaAFQy8.jpg

2 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Been playing a small indie title called Team Fortress 2. You've probably never heard of it. Jokes aside, people can sometimes be really fun. Here's a conga line that was started in out base by someone on the enemy team. We made it all the way to their bases entrance until some tryhards on both of are teams killed us all off.

If only the communities on other games could be so non-sweaty...

On 1/28/2024 at 9:54 AM, Kerbalsaurus said:

DaAFQy8.jpg

Bro TF2 is not an indie game

I'm playing Project Wimgman(AKA Ace Combat 8) recently and it's awesome

(awesome means die 100 times over Yellowstone)

Edited by Abel Military Services

2 hours ago, Abel Military Services said:
On 1/27/2024 at 8:54 PM, Kerbalsaurus said:

Been playing a small indie title called Team Fortress 2. You've probably never heard of it.

Bro TF2 is not an indie game

They even said...

On 1/27/2024 at 8:54 PM, Kerbalsaurus said:

Jokes aside

Edited by Superfluous J

I've been playing a lot of Enshrouded and it's exactly what it says on the Tin: A survival crafting  game with a curated experience.

It also seems to get right all the stuff that annoyed me about other games. You can Fast Travel with all your stuff. When you die, you keep your equipment (and all of your XP) and your "tombstone" keeps all the noncritical stuff you were carrying. If you die somewhere impossible to get-to (I tend to like to die in the middle of a lava field I was SURE I could get across) your tombstone is placed at the last accessible/safe place you were. Every change you make to the environment reverts eventually (so you can always access that sweet copper node you found) unless it's in your home building zone where every change is permanent (so the grass doesn't grow back through your floor - I'm looking at you Valheim).

It's in EA and I'm not sure how "E" it is but so far the game is well worth whatever it was I paid (full price as I bought it day 1). I've had a few minor bugs and the game's crashed 2-3 times. About what you expect from a solid EA title.

I am trying to stay motivated to teach this term's college courses and moderate the forum. I really do not have time or energy for much else these days. My teenage daughter is playing Subnautica and Roblox and my cat is playing the game of dig through the clean laundry and bring my human all the socks I can find. :huh:

16 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

my cat is playing the game of dig through the clean laundry and bring my human all the socks I can find. :huh:

My mom made the mistake of showing our youngest some squirrel videos.

He demands more. With teeth to the laptop lid.

Side Order from Splatoon 3.

And Fresh Season 2024! I'm so hyped!

Just watched the video, holy crap dynamic weather!

On 1/18/2024 at 12:23 PM, DDE said:

I'm not in the target audience, but I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE

All the more cynical that it's coming out just behind the wave of official Starship Troopers games.

goes hard

Just now, Toaster355 said:

You would LOVE the DCS F/A-18C module if you're willing to learn it.

I am actually trying to get into DCS! I got the F/A-18C module and I'm really digging it, but I'm still struggling a bit with learning the material. I kind of gave up on reading the manual since its so long and kind of hard to digest, but was that a mistake? I would like some tips.

PS: I quoted you from the Feb. TOTM thread but posted this here because I felt like this didn't belong in the TOTM thread.