18 minutes ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

Are you enjoying Juno then?

Do you see yourself becoming invested in the long term.

I am enjoying it.  Juno is presenting a challenge in the early game so far that I don't get out of KSP any longer, and that's the engineering challenge.  KSP is way too easy to "game" early on, farming science points and being able to do more and more with so much less.  Juno is forcing me to put actual skills to use instead of "Well, I'm going to roll out this science thing and get all the points from the launchpad so I can unlock another node".  So I am quite enjoying it right now.

Will I continue to enjoy it once I've unlocked more?  I don't know.  But I haven't landed on any other celestial bodies yet, and I certainly haven't gotten outside of Droo's SOI (beyond Brigo and Luna, of course).  So there's the excitement there of exploring that solar system.  I also haven't gotten into doing anything with Vizzy, and as a software developer in real life (ok, automation jockey, but I do have to do scripting), I'm looking forward to seeing what types of flight programs I can create, and which processes I can automate through that.

As far as being invested in the long term...maybe?  The one thing that has kept me involved/invested in KSP for so many years is the community here on the forum.  Which Juno entirely lacks.  I mean, they have a Discord server, and they've got the community on Steam.  But it's this forum here, outside of Discord, outside of Steam, independent and on its own that has kept me coming back for years.  I get just as much, if not more, out of the forums than I do the game itself.  And it's hard to say whether I will need that with Juno, or if I'll continue to game along and drop into the Discord every so often.

23 minutes ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

About an hour in I can seem to stay focused.. having same issue with KSP1 lately.

That's why I have hobbies beyond gaming/computers.  Whenever I get bored or can't stay focused on a game, I switch hobbies for a while.  I'm lucky in that I work from home, so I'm able to do a lot of stuff during the day that a lot of other people don't get the chance to, such as continue to improve my guitar playing skills.  And in a typical day, I can go from KSP to Juno to NHL 20 to cranking out a few songs in a matter of a couple hours.  To me, it's all a matter of keeping my mind occupied, and when I find that I'm getting bored with one thing, I just pick something else up.

25 minutes ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

I LOVED kerbals soo much and it was their Quirk that got me. That balanced with the sophistication of the game.

I'm in the same boat.  Part of the allure of the game, to me, were the Kerbals themselves.  Campy and cartoony and weird-looking, sure.  But they are part of the game, and they are one of the things I like about the game.

26 minutes ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

I still can't seem to find a game that grabs me. Even games like Kenshi & Rimworld don't much draw me in. (Both I Enjoyed until recently)

As I mentioned above, I just keep cycling until I get to something that keeps me involved.  As far as games go, right now it's Juno.  Although, if you look at my Epic library, you'll wonder how I can even play half of the games I own, let alone get occupied enough to not say "Well, let's try this other one now".

27 minutes ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

KSP2 broke my heart & I am having a hard time right now finding small doses of joy. Feels kinda pathetic, but definitely not the first time I've overreacted to something I should never have even been emotionally invested in.

First marriage comes to mind.

You and me both.  I'm not so much heartbroken over KSP2 as I am just sorely disappointed.  Disappointed in what should have been, what we got, and how much I was emotionally invested in something that never was.  And like you, kinda like my first marriage.  Ah, to be young and have the ability to feel love's keen sting.

At least my OG hobby doesn't have that ashy taste as a result.

About to go pretend to touch grass & play D&D for next six hours.

Thinking about it directly after a KSP mention makes me realize the quirky Stupdily Courageous Kerbals captured my imagination.

Every mission I fly comes with a plethora of inner dialogue like middle school version of a Tarantino flick.

I make up competitive agencies that are competing with one another. The inherent silliness certai ly helps achieve that.

Tried and hated Helldivers 2, can't understand the hype, but then discovered Abiotic Factor.  Wow, I think it's the first crafting survival games with enemies I've ever really liked.  Possibly because it starts in a Half-Life 1 Clone world.  Also revisiting Planet Crafter for its 1.0 release, as that may be my favorite crafting survival with no enemies game.

Basically killing time until Factorio 2.0 comes out. 

On 5/11/2024 at 9:25 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

I'm in the same boat.  Part of the allure of the game, to me, were the Kerbals themselves.  Campy and cartoony and weird-looking, sure.  But they are part of the game, and they are one of the things I like about the game.

I sure hope that whoever's working on the next rocket sim game will include some expressive quirky characters and not just empty spacesuits.  It should be obvious by now how important the Kerbals are to the experience.

Got factorio and enjoy it a bit..  like the gameplay. 

I just wish it had more of a campaign feel.  Slowly taking over a map region by region.

Has anyone played "oddsparks" I see complaints about manual harvesting.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1922020/Land_Above_Sea_Below/

Did find this game that is super cheap and a wonderful way to kill time.

A tile based "city builder" where you are trying to keep the island from sinking.

Shapez

It's just a fun little factory conveyor belt builder that ends up being a lot deeper than expected.  The fact that it runs on any potato is a nice bonus.

Trackmania Nations Forever

Time trial arcade racing game with F1-alike cars. you have to beat medals on 65 official campaign tracks but there are hundreds of thousands of player made tracks.
Even though it released in 2008 there is still an active player base with many players fighting for world record times on the tracks.

7 hours ago, Ryaja said:

Factorio; every second I am here is a second the factory is not growing

Oh hello there

obsessional.png

Flight of Nova for that space faring fix, and Brew Barons for the biplane (seaplanes!) one.

Nice indie games, both with fantastic sound tracks.

Spoiler

To tell you the true, I'm playing anything - even Windows 3.11 Solitaire - but KSP these days.

This weekend would be a good time to have some good news, you know? I'm kinda depressed right now.

Edited by Lisias
Hit "Save" too soon

Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero. Excellent atmosphereic underwater survival /exploration game. Second game has some bad reviews, imho also a good game, just not as big as the first one. Has some excellent mods on Nexus and a site called SubModica.

Dave the Diver. Underwater 2d platformer and exploration game  and sushi restaurant simulator. Looks simple but has depth and is just tons of fun.

Dyson Sphere Program. Factorio in space.

Endless Sky. Opensource 2d space exploration, combat and trading game.

UnCiv. Opensource Civilization clone.

FHeroes2. Opensource port of the HoMM 2 engine. Needs HoMM2.

Digital Combat Simulator. If you are into military flightsims. The russian Su-25 comes free with DCS World.

Caesar 3 with Augustus (recreation in opensource engine)

Dungeon Keeper with KeeperFX (opensource engine)

Settlers 2 addon/remake "Return to the Roots". Needs Settlers 2 (the really old one)

Sadly, KSP2 wasn't the only disappointment in recent years. Nowadays I mostly scourge GoG for old games that have HD mods or engine recreations.

I'am really looking forward to  the Skywind and Skyblivion release (Elder Scrolls remakes). When those come out you won't see me for a very long time.

Edited by hendrack

I just started Portal: Revolution, which is a very good mod for Portal 2 that is reportedly (and so far I agree though I only played for half an hour or so) worthy of the title "Portal 3"

Right before stopping for the day I got stuck on a puzzle, decided it was impossible, walked away from the computer, and then ran back 5 minutes later realizing what I could do to win.