What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

On 12/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

Tamiya Mark Fit

These are some of the best decals on the market. Their glues and paints are a lot better than what Testors Masters are now. Testors were once the standard in the late 80s and 90s, but now they suck.

Another thing is I do advise getting a display case even with using mark fit to protect the decals. My Zuikaku has dust in some places I won’t be able to effectively get it out because of leaving it to sit bare on display for too long.

If you're doing a military model, get a can of Tamiya dull coat, too. This is in a spray can. This will protect the decals from your efforts to keep dust off the models, even if you put them in a case. 

And finally, if you are interested in getting 1/700 airplanes like Tamiya sells

Dull coat before you glue on the canopies. :)

I was working in my uni's element collection, when the beryllium spheres in a display case rolled out due to a small earthquake. I immediately thought of galaxy quest. 

On 12/2/2023 at 6:49 PM, Minmus Taster said:

Thought I'd get into model building, decided to order a 1/700 scale "Shinano" since it's one of my personal favorite aircraft carriers. I'll fully admit that I'm probably going to butcher it but I'm gonna give it my best shot. Does anyone have any tips for building something like this?

Japanese Navy Aircraft Carrier Shinano Special Specification (Concrete –  Supernova Models

Amazing choice, I'm not that good at model kits or miniatures (yet), but I have gotten way better then when I was in 2019-2020. Here's a YouTuber who makes videos about miniature painting, but it also is pretty good for model kits, too.

Stream ☺ by Cursed emoji | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

I’ve completely fallen in love with Big Gemini. Not only did I realize it was actually proposed in 1969 instead of 1967- making it a viable Space Shuttle competitor- but the OMB (Office of Management of Budget or something) actually did a cost report and said Big G launched on a Titan IIIM would be more cost effective than the Shuttle.

2879a.jpg

Screw Apollo, For All Mankind, society would have flying cars and fusion energy by now if Big G got built! I only say this half jokingly (the other half is serious because I’m writing a story where this happens).

17 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I’ve completely fallen in love with Big Gemini. Not only did I realize it was actually proposed in 1969 instead of 1967- making it a viable Space Shuttle competitor- but the OMB (Office of Management of Budget or something) actually did a cost report and said Big G launched on a Titan IIIM would be more cost effective than the Shuttle.

2879a.jpg

Screw Apollo, For All Mankind, society would have flying cars and fusion energy by now if Big G got built! I only say this half jokingly (the other half is serious because I’m writing a story where this happens).

It is a beautiful beast that deserved to fly.

I previously mentioned I was getting into model making, well today was my birthday and my father's gift was a 1/700 Tamiya 'Taiho', mostly as a practice model.

Tamiya 31211 1/700 Scale Model Waterline Kit WWII IJN Aircraft Carrier Taiho  | eBay

Started some construction including gluing the smokestack and an AA Gun together just to start it up. Wish I could post images but it's not working for some reason : / I'm thinking of starting a thread just to show my progress on Taiho and eventually the Shinano.

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

That is a really  low bar. Like saying Sonic 06 wasn't received as poorly as E.T.

In a fantasy world sure, but realistically there were three options for the post-Apollo low earth orbit space program (these were literally the options the government looked at in the end)-

1. Use Saturn IBs and Apollo CSMs

2. Use Big Gemini

3. Build a Space Shuttle

In this thread here, I looked at the costs involved and the outcome is clear- A Big G launch was about a 1/4 of the cost of a Space Shuttle launch, and only 2 million dollars more than a Saturn IB but could carry double or triple the crew. Especially considering Big G could have been partially reusable with the capsule gliding under a para wing to land on land, it would have been near the same cost if not cheaper than throwing away a CSM everytime.

On 12/15/2023 at 1:50 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

1. Use Saturn IBs and Apollo CSMs

2. Use Big Gemini

3. Build a Space Shuttle

4. Dyno.

17 hours ago, BA-Forums said:

i got to bake 100 pounds of garlic bread for a food drive.

Spoiler

mja2.51349.jpg

So, you have driven them away.

Now start with the wooden stakes, to finish.

18 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It would be a lot of effort though. Most of the engineers who worked on it were probably at different organizations by then, most of the documentation sealed away in the Pentagon.

But the documentation and the material experiment tests were stayin available.

V-1 and V-2 had been revived in the USSR also without major developers.

Canadian pacific’s holiday train came into town yesterday which led to a nice chase down the Fraser canyon with some friends.

Spoiler

Criumuh-4.jpg

Coming into Lytton

Criumuh-5.jpg

Crossing the Fraser river at Cisco

Criumuh-7.jpg

Coming into north bend

Criumuh-12.jpg

After a brief crew change it’s underway again

Criumuh-13.jpg

Under highway one at Spuzzum. It was quite a tight fit with all of us and our cameras on the bridge.

Tonight we had our family Christmas dinner. Rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, fondant potatoes, green beans with caramelized shallots and garlic, mushrooms with white wine and garlic, and then my wife's fruitcake and fine bourbon for dessert. It's all downhill from here... :D

mom woke me up this morning because she was tearing the house apart looking for birthday candles. i had to inform her that they were too short to use for another birthday and we threw them away. she was angry because she wanted to roast marshmallows. then i introduced her to a life hack. take a coke can, turn it upside down, fill the base up with hand sanitizer (people are giving away their pandemic surplus), and light it on fire. you end up with a flame more than capable of roasting marshmallows and you can get 5-10 minutes of burn time out of it. 

6 hours ago, DDE said:

How foolish. When the market is down, you've got to stock up!

picked up half a dozen tubes so far. never much use the stuff for its intended purpose. always dries out my hands. but i don't like dirty hands so i wash them frequently regardless. this is why my 2-year old keyboard is clean and moms has to be cleaned every 6 months.  but it makes an impromptu burner fuel for when im doing a wiring harness and need to shrink a lot of heat shrink tubing. 

8 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

I was taking an exam, and had a 82 percent battery, but it went down to 60 percent! anybody know why? I have a new (about 3 months of use) iPhone 14 (the regular one, not the pro or pro max models.)

iPhones do that from time to time, especially after performing a certain task.

For example, back when I played Minecraft on my phone it would often rapidly drain down to 30% even if it was only in the 80s when I was playing.