Shower thoughts

p1t1o

It's just hard to imagine... Looks so innocent...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12302933/Former-police-volunteer-claims-revealed-identity-Jack-Ripper.html

Probably, the London police could not believe that it's so obvious, that can't be the truth.

P.S.
Actually, he would be the first suspected for me, once I had read his name/surname.

Edited by kerbiloid

Hephaestus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus

Hephaestus is probably associated with the Linear B (Mycenaean Greek) inscription , A-pa-i-ti-jo, found at Knossos.[6] The inscription indirectly attests his worship at that time because it is believed that it reads the theophoric name (H)āpʰaistios,[6] or Hāphaistion.[7][8] The Greek theonym Hēphaistos is most likely of Pre-Greek origin, as the form without -i- (Attic Hēphastos) shows a typical Pre-Greek variation and points to an original sy.[6]

Spoiler

800px-Vulcan_by_Bertel_Thorvaldsen.jpg

As a smithing god, Hephaestus made all the weapons of the gods in Olympus. He served as the blacksmith of the gods, and was worshipped in the manufacturing and industrial centres of Greece, particularly Athens. The cult of Hephaestus was based in Lemnos.[2] Hephaestus's symbols are a smith's hammer, anvil, and a pair of tongs.

Hephaestus had his own palace on Olympus, containing his workshop with anvil

Hephaestus crafted much of the magnificent equipment of the gods, and almost any finely wrought metalwork imbued with powers that appears in Greek myth is said to have been forged by Hephaestus.

Hephaestus worked with the help of the Cyclopes—among them his assistants in the forge

Being a skilled blacksmith, Hephaestus created all the thrones in the Palace of Olympus.

In vase paintings, Hephaestus is sometimes shown bent over his anvil, hard at work on a metal creation

During the best period of Grecian art he was represented as a vigorous man with a beard, and is characterized by his hammer or some other crafting tool, his oval cap, and the chiton.

So...

Spoiler

what-in-heavens-name-are-you-talking-abo

It's Bronze Age.

The bronze is not being forged.
It's being melted and casted in a clay form.

How could the Bronze Age Micenaean Greeks know the words "(black)smith", "forge", "anvil", "hammer", when they had never seen anything but a stove with a crucible, and liquid melted metal being poured into a clay form?!

How could the Achaeans know these words?!

What were his smith tongs made of? The bronze? Didn't he feel hot?

23 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Hephaestus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus

Reveal hidden contents

800px-Vulcan_by_Bertel_Thorvaldsen.jpg

So...

Reveal hidden contents

what-in-heavens-name-are-you-talking-abo

It's Bronze Age.

The bronze is not being forged.
It's being melted and casted in a clay form.

How could the Bronze Age Micenaean Greeks know the words "(black)smith", "forge", "anvil", "hammer", when they had never seen anything but a stove with a crucible, and liquid melted metal being poured into a clay form?!

How could the Achaeans know these words?!

What were his smith tongs made of? The bronze? Didn't he feel hot?

This is simple, an bronze age god of metalworking and carpentry became an god of blacksmith in the iron age. 95% of the art and texts about him is from the iron age  because closer in time, higher population and literacy.
So they show the iron age version with iron age tools. And can not see they they did not have tongs in the bronze age, You can make the grips of wood if heating became an problem. 

45 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

This is simple, an bronze age god of metalworking and carpentry became an god of blacksmith in the iron age. 95% of the art and texts about him is from the iron age  because closer in time, higher population and literacy.
So they show the iron age version with iron age tools. And can not see they they did not have tongs in the bronze age, You can make the grips of wood if heating became an problem. 

Any image of Hephaestus as a bronze caster?
"Homer" is definitely talking about copper and bronze in "his" poem. None of them is forged, only casted.
If they were using bronze, they were daily seeing the casters, but not smiths. No anvils, no hammers. Only crucibles.

P.S.
Wait... Any image of casting on the ancient vase at all?

P.P.S.
A modern replica of Ancient  Greek (?) Xiphos.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Why this strange bulb?

It's equally bad for piercing, cutting and slashing.
Why this silly narrow part, which will obviously be crashed or bended?

But it's organic for a wooden thing with a wide microlith holder.

Isn't the "xiphos" a later fake, when they casted bronze in a clay form made of real ancient wooden-stone sword?

Edited by kerbiloid

33 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

"Homer" is definitely talking about copper and bronze in "his" poem. None of them is forged, only casted.
If they were using bronze, they were daily seeing the casters, but not smiths. No anvils, no hammers. Only crucibles.

P.S.

P.P.S.

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

Why this strange bulb?

Isn't the "xiphos" a later fake, when they casted bronze in a clay form made of real ancient wooden-stone sword?

The statue you posted looks classical Greece, pretty sure the famous painted pottery is classical to.  Iron has an major benefit over bronze as its much cheaper and become more common. 
But technological progress as an major force was not something people back then realized as it was slower than kingdoms rising an falling. 

Don't see that sword as so weird. I would like more pictures of it especially an side view, guess the side profile tapper down over the length so the part above the crossbar is oval, then you get the sharp part. 
You are not hitting with the part close to the cross guard its only there to increase reach.  Then you get to the cutting part who is wide but much thinner for better cutting. ending in an tip for stabbing. 
Many cutlasses, sabers and other cutting sword has the outer part wider for better cutting and more mass at the cutting part but they was single edged, two handed sword tended to be equal width or tapering. 
Not an stupid design as it was one of the first tries of making swords, the Egyptian bronze swords looks more stupid. 
download
Note the rounded part above the cross-guard, did the sometime use these two handed? I would to use your sword over this. 
And I don't think it came from stone weapons, rather stone cutters started polish their spear points and knifes to look more like bronze as it was expensive, paint it so it look like carbon fiber today :) 
Yes its a bit hard to know as stone flakes set in wood will not survive, we know this was done for sickles for harvesting grain but making an sword like this I guess it would be straight profile as easier to make. 

13 hours ago, magnemoe said:

The statue you posted looks classical Greece, pretty sure the famous painted pottery is classical to.

I'm not sure if the statue is ancient at all, but where are terracota vases with scenes of casting, instead of forging or just touching with hands with forging tools at background?

Spoiler

hephaest.gif513kJ1GTgkL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpgsc202246.jpg

For example something like (I believe, also fake, but still) this:

Spoiler

33.8.5_EGDP017259.jpg

(Look, the "Ancient Egyptian" painters were better students, than "Hellenic" ones.
They were visiting the university lections and were attentively reading the professor's books, which they were illustrating, so they didn't equip their Pepi-Boys-B.C.-3000) with totally anachronistic hammers, anvils, and tongs.
Respect, "Ancient Egyptian" painters, you're strong, you're best.)

Don't see that sword as so weird. I would like more pictures of it especially an side view, guess the side profile tapper down over the length so the part above the crossbar is oval, then you get the sharp part. 

Spoiler

preview_GAA14681__21_.jpg7e39877ef7083af9e9497c3c49c60a12.jpg6feb2a19850f1232e7023c2cbc7cf100--greek-etruski10-6eb525374eb98f5ab088164e3261cf

It's just a heavy bulb on a thin stem.

A purposedly piercing sword:

Spoiler

Sky_Piercing_Sword_Jue_Yun_Jian_DF031.jp2ea3d59e7f198e2e7c8c4ba53c7771e3H1117-L56786223.jpg

A purposedly cutting sword:

Spoiler

SH2354-Scimitar_01_LRG.jpg1000_F_105760166_w830p8ZpavxfwsyXFF4hfZ4

A purpocedly chopping sword:

Spoiler

360_F_10911214_TvZhMILZS1CWgfqjD8B75O5OYmain-qimg-1becc34f5afbf4815f302d88749836

As we can see, the "xiphos" is the worst case of any.
Too wide at the end to pierce and unbalanced (CoM close to the end), too curved at the middle to smoothly cut, too "not-concentrated" and with fragile thin stem to chop.

No reason to have such weapon at all, anything another is better. Except, the khopesh, of course. That one is even more conceptual.

Not an stupid design as it was one of the first tries of making swords, the Egyptian bronze swords looks more stupid. 

Khopesh is not stupid, it's aesthetically a killer feature, lol.
It's stylish, brutal, and exotic.

Spoiler

download

Note the rounded part above the cross-guard, did the sometime use these two handed? I would to use your sword over this. 

I note the joint between the stem and the blade. It's very "wise" to cast a bronse sword with angular joint instead of a simple scimitar-like arc, lol.
It allows the mechanical stress concentrate at this joint, and also metal casting is fond of sharp, angular, and tiny details.
Surface tension of the liquid metal? Who had ever heard about it?

But aesthetically the Egyptian stylists are the best, like always. 
The "Egyptian" conciseness and reproducibility are outstanding. Make a template, and even the most lazy and stupid student can make graphic outlines or cast bronze.
Just substitute another head template to the body.

Spoiler

croppedRa-Horakhti-Maat-Amun-KV9_2006031

But back to the khopesh.

Spoiler

Looks like His Blue Majesty holds it like a sickle.
Rural habits, you see. You can take the pharaoh out of the village, but... you know.
And the Orange one prefers a PP-duster to tickle to death rather than chop.

8dcf0f_1cfed759c5c64c1496da415d87047549~

Also, it doesn't look that popular, like in Holy Wood. Usually the pharaohs are charriot archers, and the infantry is armed with clubs.

Edited by kerbiloid

Back to the "nse" = "wisdom" word in English.

Spoiler

To remind:

"nse" (sometimes "nce") = "wisdom"

"nse-nse" = "much wisdom"

"no-nse-nse" = "not so much wisdom"

"scie-nce" = "paid wisdom"

And what do you think?!

Spoiler

https://www.today.com/popculture/beyonce-offers-words-wisdom-dreamy-new-short-film-yours-mine-1d80366019

Beyoncé offers words of wisdom in dreamy new short film 'Yours and Mine'

As the year comes to a close, most people get introspective, and Beyoncé is no exception. Queen Bey has released an 11-minute short film called "Yours and Mine," featuring clips from her self-titled visual album with narration that's full of wisdom about life, motherhood, feminism and being a modern woman.

"be-yo-nce" = "be your nse", i.e. "be your wisdom", "be your mind"

She wants your mind to borg you.

170212194302-beyonce-performs-grammy-sup

• 2 weeks later...

It occurs to me that global thermonuclear war just might have the side effect of combating global warming, destroying the fossil-fuel infrastructure responsible for it and cooling the planet with the so-called "nuclear winter." The survivors would then build back clean, green, and glowing. 

Obviously, this is not an optimal solution, but human nature being what it is...

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It occurs to me that global thermonuclear war just might have the side effect of combating global warming, destroying the fossil-fuel infrastructure responsible for it and cooling the planet with the so-called "nuclear winter." The survivors would then build back clean, green, and glowing. 

Obviously, this is not an optimal solution, but human nature being what it is...

Nah, five problems-

1. It only affects a couple nations. You still have huge regions (namely India and in the case of a U.S.-Russia war, China) producing CO2

2. You’re destroying a lot of the production apparatus necessary for converting the world to green energy

3. You’re destroying the US and maybe Europe, which plays a big role in pushing for climate change action. Without them it would be very easy to drum up a few denialists and go back to fossil fuels entirely on the part of less developed nations who can’t afford green energy

4. Oil nations, particularly in the Middle East, still exist and will lobby for faster reconstruction with fossil fuels instead of messing with green energy

5. Nuclear winter is a sham, and won’t bring a decline in temperatures, at least not for the periods long enough to stop climate change. If anything it could trap more heat in the atmosphere and make it worse, although it is a sham so we don’t need to worry about that.

I got KSP 1 version 1.9 as a gift, because I had heard it was fun building all sorts of rockets, and so suggested it when asked what I might like for my birthday.

I then found that you could also build planes and that it was possible to go under water. I was very happy to find that the configuration files for parts were in a simple text document form and started reading them to see how things worked. Many things were confusing and so I looked up and then joined the forum. I asked many questions but rarely got answers, so I perservered and slowly  worked things out or found clues in bits of old threads. I wanted to try submarine-ing but found the available methods cumbersome. So I delved into creating new configs for parts that already existed. A lot of confusion over how buoancy worked and how models react to water. Also the different needs for propulsion. But I managed to create my first mod (configuration only) that added parts that would sink you or let you back up easily, and give you reasonable speed underwater. I also came up with first simple way to have a Kerbal sink or become neutrally buoyant. This was just before the more elegant Sunkworks mod was released. I used this method to have a Kerbal walk around on the bottom of the ocean until they found the deepest point on Kerbol (in the smiley face depression). This became partially mucked up when 1.11.1 was released and Kerbals stopped swimming flat, and followed the height above the land below instead.

Many configs later it was suggested to me that I should try 3D modeling as well, and BforArtists using the .mu plugin was suggested. This was very daunting as I had never done this before, also though there are various Blender tutorials the hotkey layout never really matched and I did not know how to change it then. I looked at the possibility of Unity with Part Tools but the old links seemed to be busted and I have not seen a fresh thread with clear links and knowledge as yet.

So it took awhile, and looking at many previously created models, but I have slowly learnt and got better.

Not wanting others to suffer as I had, I created a thread to try to share information I had gained, when using the tools I was using.

Now to the reason I share my thoughts in the shower.

I had a look in the forum section for modding in KSP 2 yesterday. And all I read in there suggests that modding for this new platform is not the open and easily accessable experience that KSP 1 is. So it seems unlikely that I will ever be able to create content for it. I will keep doing little things for KSP  1 for as long as people keep using it.

It is just an example of the world in general these days. If something works well and is easy to use, then break it. Keep upgrading stuff just for the sake of it, not because it is needed. Make everything a "Smart" device and remove the simple tech that we were comfortable with.

Try finding a non smart TV these days, there are a few, but not easy to find. Or a phone that lets you turn off built in apps it doesn't actually need to run, but are there to force you you into markets or upgrade your operating system to remove functions and choices you liked.

I realise this is basically a rant, but I needed to vent. All I see in the world suggests that the pot of water we got into as the human race, is finally coming to the boil and it happened slowly enough that we are all content to be cooked alive.

2 hours ago, Awesomesauce1337 said:

We've probably mined all the easy to access coal. If humanity was sent back to a pre-industrial era we would have a very hard time finding coal for a second industrial revolution.

Nuclear war only affects Europe or South Korea + Japan and two other countries (of the big three nuclear powers) at most. South America, Africa, and Australia probably have plentiful reserves of fossil fuels.

Not to mention the Middle East…

Nuclear war will never be “humanity ending”, unless humanity only exists in Eurasia and North America… which it doesn’t.

2 hours ago, Awesomesauce1337 said:

We've probably mined all the easy to access coal. If humanity was sent back to a pre-industrial era we would have a very hard time finding coal for a second industrial revolution.

It already has by  orders of magnitude more iron than the industrial revolutioners were ever thinking of.

On 7/20/2023 at 2:50 AM, kerbiloid said:

P.S.

P.P.S.

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

Why this strange bulb?

This is my image:

Dossier%20-%20Otho_Hephaestus.jpg

6 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

(not mine, but it's good enough to share)

The existence of the Uncanny Valley suggests that in Humanity's past  there was a survival advantage to being wary of things that looked Human, but weren't.

Perhaps this had to do with competing against Neanderthals and the like.

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Perhaps this had to do with competing against Neanderthals and the like.

Well we mated with them, if you are not an African you have 1-2% Neanderthal dna. 
I think its more how we process faces, as its now its only work against robots who is unlikely to be an survival advantage in the past :)