Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Posted (edited)

Youre missing out on a beautiful galaxy. Also if you were having issues docking at stations you could get a docking assist computer. I have one on every ship i own. I get to 7.5km request docking, throttle to zero and the ship does the rest. Flight assist helps too.

my primary ship fwiw is a diamondback explorer. Relatively small.

004105162024 im also an exobiologist/explorer

Edited by AlamoVampire

Posted (edited)

You are way way way WAY underestimating elite dangerous by even trying to compare it to american truck simulator. Ive been to Sagittarius A Star and back, ive been on a moon that orbits its host planet in under 90 seconds. Ive seen sights (yea its a game but even then) that are BEYOND imagination. Ive found star systems, stepped places no other humans found before me. 

i had to dig these off my phone so quality is meh.

9fqFnaFl.jpg

Dk15w3Gl.jpg

the top one is me sitting a few hundred light seconds from a white dwarf that I am about to FLY INTO ITS EJECTION CONE for an FSD boost. The second one is me sitting on a planets surface a few dozen meters from my ship as I look for some biological samples I detected from orbit with my detailed surface scanner. That goldish band behind my ship? Our galaxy!! That ship is a diamondback explorer, capable of about 57 lightyears in jump distance. Shes a tough lil ship. Oh and yes, I was the FIRST person to not only FIND that planet but map it AND step foot on it. I also confirmed a strain of bacteria too.

Edited by AlamoVampire

Posted (edited)

I cannot stress how HARD I bounced off the game. I KNOW it's not the game for me.

I didn't return it (like I did Stellaris, another game everybody loves but I knew INSTANTLY I'd never enjoy after about 15 minutes) but still, it's far better off pimping in my uninstalled games list, than it is getting sweared at incessantly as I think of the dozens of other things I'd rather be doing than hands-on learning a billion undocumented ways I'm not supposed to fly my ship.

Maybe it's better now. Steam says I last played it in 2018. I'm not really all that willing to find out.

Steam also says I put 7.5 hours into it, which frankly shocks me. You talk about docking protocols. I never even made it to a space station.

Edited by Superfluous J

4 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Ive seen sights (yea its a game but even then) that are BEYOND imagination.

OK Roy Batty /s

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Youre missing out on a beautiful galaxy. Also if you were having issues docking at stations you could get a docking assist computer. I have one on every ship i own. I get to 7.5km request docking, throttle to zero and the ship does the rest. Flight assist helps too.

my primary ship fwiw is a diamondback explorer. Relatively small.

004105162024 im also an exobiologist/explorer

its actually a lot easier to dock than in og elite, which i have played a lot. they just give you a lot more ways to screw up. also mostly harmless and oolite. couldn't really get into elite 2/ffe for the same reasons as dangerous. its got the major issue of game feels like work.

Edited by Nuke

30 minutes ago, Nuke said:

oolite

Oh man that game brought back so many 80s memories. The original Elite took less disk space than most textures take up in games today. What a masterpiece.

31 minutes ago, Nuke said:

its got the major issue of game feels like work

Thank you. I was trying to find a way to describe what I didn't like about the new Elite, and that is basically it. They went TOO hard on realism. There's a lot about Realism that I go to Video Games to avoid, not surround myself with.

My laptop is experiencing a catastrophic display issue. I thought I saw some faint ghosts on the black screen at first, but after restarting I can’t even see that, so I think the backlight is toast. On a Friday afternoon going into a long weekend. Good luck getting it even looked at before Tuesday. 

Ah well, the power jack needs replacing/resoldering too. And probably a cleaning. I know what to ask the kids for Father’s Day (everything tends to come early around here)…

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 6:00 PM, Superfluous J said:

Oh man that game brought back so many 80s memories. The original Elite took less disk space than most textures take up in games today. What a masterpiece.

Thank you. I was trying to find a way to describe what I didn't like about the new Elite, and that is basically it. They went TOO hard on realism. There's a lot about Realism that I go to Video Games to avoid, not surround myself with.

its not so much the realism as the lack of escapism. i loved ffe's newtonian flight, but you could play for days and not make any real progress.

Edited by Nuke

So, this is an ersatz computer problem thread, right?

I've got a six-year-old GE75 Raider laptop. Before going away last week I figured I need to give its battery some practice for the first time in half a year or so. That morphed into looking for battery conservation methods, which mean capping max charge, which required me to update the Dragon control center app. I succeeded at that, with a few false starts.

Here's the problem: the laptop now idles with Fan 1 at 2400 RPM, and the fan makes a quiet but steady whine resembling a distant washing machine. My problem is that I'm not sure when it started. I think it's new and not me just noticing it after being away from it for a week. I'm also not sure if it's something new as a result of my nighttime meddling with the Dragon app - not the least because the actual washing machine was on downstairs.

So, this is an ersatz computer problem thread, right?

I've got a six-year-old GE75 Raider laptop. Before going away last week I figured I need to give its battery some practice for the first time in half a year or so. That morphed into looking for battery conservation methods, which mean capping max charge, which required me to update the Dragon control center app. I succeeded at that, with a few false starts.

Here's the problem: the laptop now idles with Fan 1 at 2400 RPM, and the fan makes a quiet but steady whine resembling a distant washing machine. My problem is that I'm not sure when it started. I think it's new and not me just noticing it after being away from it for a week. I'm also not sure if it's something new as a result of my nighttime meddling with the Dragon app - not the least because the actual washing machine was on downstairs.

It could just be a loose piece of dandruff or cat fur that fell in there during that one week the laptop was stored. The noise is particular to the idling RPM. I've excluded coil whine - which a lot of sources were talking about.

To be entirely fair, the laptop has not received any maintenance in said six years. And I dread having to deal with a notoriously fraud-ridden field...

Msfs 2020 sim update 15 dropped. Its updating as i type. Im playing SOLITAIRE as i wait and get ads. Ads are intrusive. Ads are stupid. And i cant skip. Ads on youtube are getting worse with “skip in” being decoration only. I hate 2024.

8 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Msfs 2020 sim update 15 dropped. Its updating as i type. Im playing SOLITAIRE as i wait and get ads. Ads are intrusive. Ads are stupid. And i cant skip. Ads on youtube are getting worse with “skip in” being decoration only. I hate 2024.

Ads are the bane of the world... they're the whole reason social media listens to you and tries to get you addicted.  The ad industry's end goal is basically just mind control I think.

13 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

Ads are the bane of the world... they're the whole reason social media listens to you and tries to get you addicted.  The ad industry's end goal is basically just mind control I think.

Ads are how people fund stuff. It can't be helped in the way our economy works.

Spying on people to "improve" their ads? That's what bugs me.

46 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Spying on people to "improve" their ads? That's what bugs me.

Had a mobile game (deleted it IMMEDIATELY after this) request i let it track me to “give better ads” and i was like: good bye.