Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

@SunlitZelkova After reading all of that I'm kinda curious of what you think about Lemmino's take from 4 years ago...

I know it's not... "right" to post videos here or whatever (though the thread's nature doesn't rule it out, does it?); I just can't help but wonder.

19 hours ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

This is time-critical, but Flight QR899, with both of my parents, has diverted to CMB (Columbo, Sri Lanka). I can't find any news reports to confirm why they diverted, so does anyone know of any websites where I can find lists of either Pan Pan, Mayday or other emergency calls?

At this time, I don't think this is still relevant but in the future you can FlightRadar!

https://www.flightradar24.com/QTR51L/34519ac7

I don't know, but it may be ok for certain things (context? idk.), I do agree with @SunlitZelkova about the fact that they just focus on the shock value, versus the more plausible claims. Conspiracy theorists often make crap up for stuff such as likes, upvotes, or comments, and frequently make false claims and rage bait people to get a reaction. Sad thing is though, some people are gullible enough to believe it. If you live in the US, a couple months ago there was an EAS test. People were saying crap like, "the 5G waves will activate the neurotoxin in our bloodstream given to us from COVID vaccines and turn us into zombies/control our brains" or something like that, I didn't care much, but I have a roommate who literally is a radiation therapy major, and he had to tell some people this: "5G isn't dangerous, it's in every city with internet in the world, and because I'm a radiation therapy major, I am exposed to more dangerous forms of radiation than you are every day." Guess what they said? They don't believe him. Seriously, what is up with conspiracy theories nowadays?! I liked it when it was stuff like "Oh, Half-Life 3 is coming out soon, I know when" or "UFOs are real, here's a pic" and the like. 

3 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

and frequently make false claims and rage bait people to get a reaction

I think you're conflating two big groups.

The first are trolls. Now, back in the day, trolling was a difficult task. One had to switch apparent political alignments like a T-1000 to get under the target's skin. This day, however, the battle lines are very clearly drawn, so one can blanket-posture as, in most cases, a far-righter sharing the various degrees of conspiracy theories, although the "breadtubers" also produce some madm... people from among their audience (and back in the Runet, we've got our own Reds vs royalists culture war that's kind of orthogonal to the Anglophone one). Point is, they don't necessarily believe the stuff they spout, it's entertainment and roleplaying, although oh gee can it be a political rabbit hole.

The other group are actual nutters. Now, here's the problem: they don't gain validation directly from your enragement, as trolls do, they gain validation through elitism. The conspiracy nutters and their equally delusional counterpart, the uncritical mainstream enforcer, are in the game because they believe themselves the lone heroes holding off the hordes of ignorant rabble and the sneaky and nefarious powers-that-be to get the message out. Therefore, all their internet posting is actually really important... but at the same time they don't really care about interaction with anyone.

4 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

Conspiracy theorists often make crap up for stuff such as likes, upvotes, or comments, and frequently make false claims and rage bait people to get a reaction. Sad thing is though, some people are gullible enough to believe it.

That's the problem - we need trolls, believe or not.

People need to be exposed to these claims and learn how to tell good from bad as soon as possible - otherwise we would have yet more gullible people. And all these people do vote.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

The other group are actual nutters. Now, here's the problem: they don't gain validation directly from your enragement, as trolls do, they gain validation through elitism.

These are the real problem. Because to raise about these ones, people need not only to learn how not to be gullible, but also how not to be stupid. Stupid people have this worship to titles and authority, and this makes them a marvelous target for ill intended people with ill learnt pseudo-knowledge.

--- -- - Now, from a personal perspective - -- ---

There's a 3rd kind - the professional liars. These guys pretend to be trolls or elitists in order to convince people enough to do or believe whatever will benefit them, disregarding any consequences that don't affect them.

These ones are the ones trying to look reasonable when compared with trolls and elitists at the same time doing exactly the same - while falsely accusing anyone that disagrees with them from being trolls and elitists themselves.

One could think that by eliminating trolls and elitists we would had a better World - what's a mistake. Without trolls and elitists, we would not be exposed to the tactics employed by these sociopaths, making them harder to detect.

Edited by Lisias
Typos!! Surprised? :P

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

FlightRadar!

That's when I found that the plane had landed. I was trying to find if the plane had squawked a 7600 or something else which would signify why it landed earlier than expected. Luckily it wasn't a mechanical issue, it was a medical one, but the plane did land overweight and so they did have to check the airframe for damage, and had to be refuelled. It also did some FL36 at 922kmh which is pretty rapid compared to normal. Luckily it did not want anything bad, but the lack of information was not the nicest thing.

(And how did you know it was 51L, is there a place of FL to find all planes that have deviated from flight).

6 hours ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

That's when I found that the plane had landed. I was trying to find if the plane had squawked a 7600 or something else which would signify why it landed earlier than expected.

AFAIK, FlightRadar shows when a Flight squawks the transponder, including the emergency ones.

You can filter by Squawk (so you can see if there's any 7500 in the World), but only on the paid plan. Something that may worth it eventually - some relatives fly to the West Asia now and then and, boy... Things there kept me awaken all the night for 2 years already they they travel.

6 hours ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

(And how did you know it was 51L, is there a place of FL to find all planes that have deviated from flight).

I didn't. FlightRadar redirected me to this flight when I searched for Flight QR899!

12 hours ago, Delay said:

@SunlitZelkova After reading all of that I'm kinda curious of what you think about Lemmino's take from 4 years ago...

I know it's not... "right" to post videos here or whatever (though the thread's nature doesn't rule it out, does it?); I just can't help but wonder.

It's a much better take than the Netflix documentary. I like how they review past aviation incidents when talking about possibilities. Although they do talk about a couple conspiracy theories, it only last for a minute or so, and it isn't presented as a "subtle truth" in the same way the Netflix one did.

Compared to this, the Netflix one really looks like it was created to peddle conspiracies.

Im being forced to update my PS5. Normally this is not an issue. Usually its security and stability fixes and i know what im getting ahead of it. I hit the about update button and it readily tells it to me. This time? A bloody QR code. What if i dont have a smart phone? Why are companies getting so so lazy they wont give you a menu at a restaurant (stupid choice for restaurants as if your on a date the last thing you bloody want is a PHONE OUT during it, especially on a first date) and now to just have the privilege of being properly informed about changes being made to MY PRIVATE PROPERTY im told to scan a code? what?

i really do hate what humanity is becoming. We are already looking at a generation of young people with hunch backs because of being faces glued to phones and tablets now this….

Edited by AlamoVampire

4 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Im being forced to update my PS5. Normally this is not an issue. Usually its security and stability fixes and i know what im getting ahead of it. I hit the about update button and it readily tells it to me. This time? A bloody QR code. What if i dont have a smart phone? Why are companies getting so so lazy they wont give you a menu at a restaurant (stupid choice for restaurants as if your on a date the last thing you bloody want is a PHONE OUT during it, especially on a first date) and now to just have the privilege of being properly informed about changes being made to MY PRIVATE PROPERTY im told to scan a code? what?

i really do hate what humanity is becoming. We are already looking at a generation of young people with hunch backs because of being faces glued to phones and tablets now this….

I guess it's just the generalized idea that everyone has a smartphone these days. It is very annoying, and I think that there should be a mix of QR and conventional menus and stuff. 

1 minute ago, BA-Forums said:

I guess it's just the generalized idea that everyone has a smartphone these days. It is very annoying, and I think that there should be a mix of QR and conventional menus and stuff. 

It kinda makes sense to me. “If you don’t have a smart phone you probably don’t have the money and sense to buy our products.”

It’s cruel, but there is a twisted logic to it.

I for one will not be frequenting Dutch Bros because even though I have a smart phone I dislike how they don’t have a proper physical menu. I’ll stick with Starbucks.

I tried to tell my sister it was elitist for them not to have physical menus and she didn’t believe me!

5 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Why are companies getting so so lazy they wont give you a menu at a restaurant

I believe this was initially "sold" as an anti-COVID sanitary measure. But, as always, it's just cost-cutting with a smile.

5 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

stupid choice for restaurants as if your on a date the last thing you bloody want is a PHONE OUT during it, especially on a first date

Is it? Forcing you to have more first dates or having to shell out to impress sounds like a sleezy customer engineering strategy. Plus, you're not producing content for social media and free marketing for the venue if your smartphone is in your pocket.

Post at least four photos of every course to Instagram, or else.

Edited by DDE

37 minutes ago, DDE said:

Is it? Forcing you to have more first dates or having to shell out to impress sounds like a sleezy customer engineering strategy.

I have a few younger cousins who have phone restrictions and one got a date, but his phone couldn't let him access the menu, and then his date was on her phone the rest of the time, browsing her TikToks and then after he asked her to get off of her phone (very politely, he's really nice and stuff), she started saying he was gaslighting her.

Thankfully that heretical app is (hopefully) about to get banned in the US. I really hated how that type of "high school" drama and stuff gets to linger through social media. Don't even get me started on how people think they can film others in public without both parties consents, which is illegal where I live, and I see it all the time. 

Anyways, here's a space marine meme to lighten the mood

me when a TikTok is being filmed:

Warhammer40k Warhammer40k Heresy GIF - Warhammer40k Warhammer40k Heresy Warhammr40k Heresy Located GIFs

@DDE call me old school or just old (i am 42) but if I am investing my time and money to take a woman to a restaurant for a first date (im more apt honestly for a coffee/tea date as a first date but still) the last thing I personally want is to compete with a bloody phone. I look like peter griffin more or less, and by gum I want to get to know her better. Not her instagram followers or her content on twix or twaxxer or w/. Being glued to the phone is a huge red flag. Also as an actual chef (trained in the french style) and a food safety manager (think food health inspector but missing a certification) its a bad sign if a place cant afford a print menu it sends shivers down my spine. Where else are the cutting costs and can that kill me or her?

no, if im doing a date, its phones down or no go.

15 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

and then after he asked her to get off of her phone (very politely, he's really nice and stuff), she started saying he was gaslighting her

Sounds like he dodged a bullet there. That's, pardon me, gaslighting.

(Although I may be spoiled by a largely toxicity-free workplace where I pretty much adore everyone... from a distance)

14 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Also as an actual chef (trained in the french style) and a food safety manager (think food health inspector but missing a certification) its a bad sign if a place cant afford a print menu it sends shivers down my spine.

What if I told you about all the tax avoidance and money laundering going on in restaurants where I... Wait, did I tell you the COVID-era blanket moratorium on health, safety and fire inspections is still in place Russia-wide because of the war? Yeah.

21 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

Thankfully that heretical app is (hopefully) about to get banned in the US. I really hated how that type of "high school" drama and stuff gets to linger through social media. Don't even get me started on how people think they can film others in public without both parties consents, which is illegal where I live, and I see it all the time. 

I doubt it'll actually get banned, just out of pessimism.  I mean, they couldn't even stop Daylight Savings time.

But if it does get banned...

JbUVCR.gif

... and when TikTok had been banned, they realised that the nuclear submarine communication network is crashed, because navy officers were using it instead of slow and boring infra low frequencies, by tying a Huawei phone to the periscope...

Edited by kerbiloid

Lol TikTok being banned isn’t going to kill the culture associated with it. Someone’s just going to make a new app with the same features and it will continue.

YouTube shorts is already a viable backup. Vine existed long before TikTok. The “short video-short attention span” brains are never going to go away.

I don't understand the idea behind banning TikTok.

By the time the US Government gets this in place, the kids will have moved on to something else.

Or more likely (given how fast Governments work) they'll have moved on to the next thing AFTER the thing they moved on to from TikTok.

On 3/13/2024 at 11:50 AM, BA-Forums said:

im going to be careful not to buy any consumer products or services that require phone ownership or some kind of activation step which is used to fix your identity to a specific name or address. i dont need to be in evereyone's database. i dont like hardware that requires a cloud account somewhere. the point of buying hardware is to own hardware, and its not owning the hardware if i need to ask permission to use it. smart phones totally have mark of the beast vibes.

tech companies are the real identity thieves, because they love to stick credentials in a centralized server with lax security, its like putting up a neon sign that says "hack me".  when you have to change your password because the password hashes got out, its easy to brute force a block of hashes if you have a few high end gpus. even 2-factor is more about farming personal information than it is for account protection, sms codes in particular are known to be weak and susceptible to man in the middle attacks.

12 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I don't understand the idea behind banning TikTok.

By the time the US Government gets this in place, the kids will have moved on to something else.

Or more likely (given how fast Governments work) they'll have moved on to the next thing AFTER the thing they moved on to from TikTok.

i generally don't like tiktok but i don't think congress knows what its asking for. how do you even do that from a technical perspective? firewalling the entire country in china fashion is the only thing i could think of. this is not a good idea.

Edited by Nuke

11 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i generally don't like tiktok but i don't think congress knows what its asking for. how do you even do that from a technical perspective? firewalling the entire country in china fashion is the only thing i could think of.

Yeah and it worked so well over there. They really stopped everybody from seeing the bad things and it all worked out great.

Or everybody who cared got on VPNs and just kept doing what they wanted.

6 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Yeah and it worked so well over there. They really stopped everybody from seeing the bad things and it all worked out great.

Or everybody who cared got on VPNs and just kept doing what they wanted.

i already use a vpn, and its not really that expensive either. its advertised as a security service but its really just to get around local regulations region codes and to obfuscate piracy. i dont know anyone who uses it in always on fashion. tiktok would just be another use case.

Edited by Nuke