KSP2 Hype Train Thread

24 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Yes. That's how Early Access works. 

I'd honestly argue the semantics of that all month, including the fact that classic->beta Minecraft weren't considered pre-releases but beta 1.8 had a couple of opt-in, clearly labeled pre-release builds, but honestly that's just not worth it.

What are you gonna build in KSP 2 anyways? I'm gonna build a stick ship!

2 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

I'd honestly argue the semantics of that all month, including the fact that classic->beta Minecraft weren't considered pre-releases but beta 1.8 had a couple of opt-in, clearly labeled pre-release builds, but honestly that's just not worth it.

What are you gonna build in KSP 2 anyways? I'm gonna build a stick ship!

Well, there's only one stage between beta and release and that's pre-release. Afaik, there's no post beta and no pre-pre-release state. 

As for what I'm going to build, not sure. Spent so long making replicas with mods like BDB and Tantares, going to be tough going back to basic stock parts. 

Just now, GoldForest said:

Well, there's only one stage between beta and release and that's pre-release. Afaik, there's no post beta and no pre-pre-release state. 

Well, by your logic, beta 1.8 pre-release 1 and 2 were pre-pre-released, so... yeah. Things to think about I guess.

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

As for what I'm going to build, not sure. Spent so long making replicas with mods like BDB and Tantares, going to be tough going back to basic stock parts. 

Why not try to make a replica in stock? Ooh, with interstellar, you should be able to make a proper Voyager replica!

3 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

Well, by your logic, beta 1.8 pre-release 1 and 2 were pre-pre-released, so... yeah. Things to think about I guess.

Why not try to make a replica in stock? Ooh, with interstellar, you should be able to make a proper Voyager replica!

The amount of people that are going to launch Voyager probes then launch interstellar missions to catch up to them is going to be high, I guarantee it. 

14 minutes ago, Nirgal said:

At the risk of creating 'spam', I want everyone to experience the joy of reading:

Kerbal Space Program 2 is coming out next month

You're not wrong... but at the same time... still 54 days and 4 hours away.

1 hour ago, Nirgal said:

At the risk of creating 'spam', I want everyone to experience the joy of reading:

Kerbal Space Program 2 is coming out next month

I am very often looking at a countdown to the release- I even have a countdown in days on my phone homescreen and am very hyped for the release, but I didn't think about that and that surely was a joy to read :D

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

These distinctions used to exist.  Back then there was a convention where reviewers would not criticize (at least not heavily) a game for being rough around the edges or having glaring problems when it was in an unfinished state.  Thus, prior to 'going Gold', reviewers would be fairly kind and even encouraging about the product.

Starting a little over ten years ago, studios and publishers started putting things out in a pre-release state.  My best recollection of this was WOT - which did not go to 1.0 until 2018 - even though it had been effectively 'released' in 2011.  It was a convenient fiction; get a bad review?  Claim the game isn't yet finished.  Get a good one?  Elevate it, spread it, link to it on your website.

EA is kind of like this; we are accepting a compromise.  We get access to the game at a date soon enough that doesn't result in the entire forums shouting 'VAPOR WARE' - and acknowledge that there will likely be some issues.  They get to keep working on stuff - with a massive amount of input from the community, but tell the reviewers 'hey, it isn't finished yet; we're working on it!' 

While we're at it, I think big reviews of an unfinished product don't have much sense. I learned about most if not all early access games by accident, not because they were highly advertised. If you're working on something that has 1.0 still beyond sight, you want to gather people who can give some feedback, not a lot of revenue. But once on the right track to official release you can start dropping trailers, sending out review copies etc.

You know when first Minecraft review in the biggest local gaming magazine appeared? November 2011. Despite the fact that the game was playable pretty much since 2009, first review hit the public eye after the game reached 1.0, or in other words, was ready for release.

The difference with KSP2 is that the original plan has changed after big announcements went live. My guess is, if KSP2 was going for EA from the beginning, we'd know it here, and here only. Maybe on their other social media. But definitely not on large gaming event, on main stage.

48 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I think big reviews of an unfinished product don't have much sense.

They don't.  I agree that it would be unfair to review a game based on a Beta or Test Build Access.  The problem comes when the studio monetizes the transaction - and then leaves it in a perpetual 'Early Access' state - ala WOT.  If anything, WOT's population went down after going 1.0; because most people who were interested in the game... had already been playing it in an effectively finished state for years.  Thus, it's being 'pre-release' was actually a lie.

I don't want to sound like I'm accusing Intercept of this.  My observations above and here are about the fictions now common in the industry (where our language is still colored by the old conventions).  15 years ago, when a game went Gold... it was finished.  Period.  DLCs were only just starting then - and don't count.  Yeah, there might be bug fixes, etc... but it was basically feature complete.

I actually like the EA model - for the most part.  Take 'Satisfactory' - it's been in EA since 2019.  Players have had access to the game, and they've pretty regularly added content or redone whole parts of how the game works.  I'd call that a fair (to the Dev team and paying customers) compromise contrasted with the way WarGaming conducted themselves between 2011 and 2018.*

Based on what we know, I think EA is a good solution for Intercept - and us.  They have very ambitious goals for the game, and the Roadmap they've laid out looks fair.  I have my own forecast that the Sandbox iteration will only last a few months for major bug fixing, then Science drops (which should effectively give us a rebuild of KSP) - and it will last several months while they work on balancing.  I'm hopeful we see Colonies in 2023 - preferably by Fall... but I'm not holding much hope for Interstellar before 2024.  Colonies and Interstellar give us '2'.  The resource management slice is a very different thing from KSP - adding potential elements like Satisfactory - which would need to be layered into and incorporated... which might be kinda complicated.  If we get that by mid-2024, I'm happy.  MP?  I'm confident it will happen in some form or another... but how and when I'm agnostic on.

Thus - KSP2 could reasonably be in an EA state for 2-3 years, monetized, and that would be 'fair' to most players.

The only tension I perceive is that EA has a lower price point than Release.  The longer the game is in EA - the less overall revenue the Publisher will recoup because I think most interested people will buy the game in the next year or two.  Going 'Gold' in 2025?  How many people do you really think are both interested in KSP and willing to hold off several years just because Resource Management and MP aren't in it yet?

*The cynicism of WG in defending their product from reviewers by claiming it was still 'in development' while maximizing their income via the F2P / P2W model in a feature complete game that really only added pixel content & very minor bug fixes for every update (with the exception of 'Physics') was pretty obnoxious.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Less than two months to go, at this point I almost don't care about the stuff coming after the first release (minus fixing the inevitable bugs). I just want the game to be out in some form so I can be sure it actually exists and wasn't just pandemic-induced shared psychosis.

1 hour ago, Xelo said:

I dunno how new this is

It must be pretty new. If I recall corretly I looked at the Steam page yesterday and these were not there.

This screenshots look amazing and this is amazing news! We're coming closer to release and it is looking good!

Edited by Datau03

16 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

That was fast. We went from pre-alpha, to alpha, to beta in the span of what? Two weeks? Three? Give or take. 

Same as KSP-1:

0.25 alpha -> 0.90 beta -> 1.0 release

Not a good sign. But I hope they know what they are doing.

7 minutes ago, pss88 said:

Same as KSP-1:

0.25 alpha -> 0.90 beta -> 1.0 release

Not a good sign. But I hope they know what they are doing.

It's not a bad sign either. But a lot of people were worried about the 'pre-alpha' text on the texts a month ago. Them being in Beta now is actually a good thing. Shows things are progressing. Now if only we could get some gameplay footage of the beta build with descent frame rates. 

Also, if anyone's interested, the screenshots were added 10 hours ago:

Kerbal Space Program 2 (App 954850) · History · SteamDB

Also also, I just want to say I love that we're seeing kitbash stuff like this:

ss_24402a808b2f4ad9da9fb04dd5e41e526fb2f

Edited by GoldForest

Just now, GoldForest said:

Anybody how any idea what this might be? The thing on top of the rocket. 

ss_e8420e5fdbcfcb0d1ae35605e8ff58d66deea

Hmm... very good question. Maybe a fairing? It could also just be a not yet textured part, although I wouldn't expect something like that in Beta screenshots.