Kerbal Kart Konfirmed?!?

TLTay

Oh hey,

I was browsing the take two jobs site like usual to see if I could gather some tidbits of data on my favorite game, when suddenly I did a double take....

"As a Content Designer for KSP2 you will work on fully functional and authentic vehicle parts that allow players to build and command rovers, planes, race cars, and of course rockets."

Beg pardon? Did you say RACE CARS?

Is this mentioning KSP2 or a spinoff?

A physics-based build-a-kart game could do some serious damage vs the Italian plumber's line of games...

https://careers.take2games.com/job/4595276

Just now, TLTay said:

Oh hey,

I was browsing the take two jobs site like usual to see if I could gather some tidbits of data on my favorite game, when suddenly I did a double take....

"As a Content Designer for KSP2 you will work on fully functional and authentic vehicle parts that allow players to build and command rovers, planes, race cars, and of course rockets."

Is this mentioning KSP2 or a spinoff?

A physics-based build-a-kart game could do some serious damage vs the Italian plumber's line of games...

https://careers.take2games.com/job/4595276

"As a Content Designer for KSP2"

36 minutes ago, TLTay said:

The players have been saying race cars since rover wheels were first introduced. They're just being realistic.

That said, rover racing would be a pretty cool multiplayer feature. Probably one that would emerge organically anyway. Hopefully They formalize regions to act as racetracks/offroad courses on different bodies, so we're all on the same page when it comes to designing and racing rovers.

Or possibly that they realize the severe lack of rover and ground vehicle parts in their catalog and want to design some real ground vehicle parts for release.

Edited by shdwlrd
Wanted to specify ground vehicles

22 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Race cars?! I think it may be a reference to the fact that they were racing rovers.

Let's hope they fix rover stability or else those will fly into oblivion after being breathed on.

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

IMO Kerbal Kart is where it's at. 

... Guessing they are thinking about people to work on a future DLC release, focused on improving the base game - but also enhancing shenanigans? 

I'm thinking the same thing, but without the whole cart idea. I'm thinking they are going to give us just enough parts to make effective rovers and ground vehicles for exploration and resource hauling for the base game. And a DLC with an expanded selection of parts to make all manner of ground vehicles from cars to buggies to large trucks, with the possibility of dedicated courses or the ability to make dedicated courses.

My only real hope is that they make the construction of ground vehicles easier and more inline with the proper scale for such vehicles.

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

My only real hope is that

...my rovers act predictably, don't lose their mind from when I programmed everything in the VAB (where wheels went and turned in the designated directions) to when I log into that body again and the thing has become possessed.  Or no longer is affected by gravity or some other nonsense!

(Read: yeah, I hear you!)

On 10/19/2022 at 11:32 AM, Vl3d said:

I'm curious how racing would work with everyone warping at will.

Pretty sure you can not warp while driving over ground so it would not be an problem. 
Now an question is how warp will work in multiplayer, I'm pretty sure it will be individual warp  and an catch up system.  

23 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

I'm thinking the same thing, but without the whole cart idea. I'm thinking they are going to give us just enough parts to make effective rovers and ground vehicles for exploration and resource hauling for the base game. And a DLC with an expanded selection of parts to make all manner of ground vehicles from cars to buggies to large trucks, with the possibility of dedicated courses or the ability to make dedicated courses.

My only real hope is that they make the construction of ground vehicles easier and more inline with the proper scale for such vehicles.

You saw the orange rover with an cupola on top in 1:45 in the launch video it has some sort of suspended wheel module. 
Not an big fan of it, it raises the center of gravity and limit the wheel base you want a rover to be as low and wide as possible, but I guess its other parts. 
But I like the cockpit of the rover. 

29 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

You saw the orange rover with an cupola on top in 1:45 in the launch video it has some sort of suspended wheel module. 
Not an big fan of it, it raises the center of gravity and limit the wheel base you want a rover to be as low and wide as possible, but I guess its other parts. 
But I like the cockpit of the rover. 

In the new features video, they are only using rocket parts for rover bodies with the exception of the new rover cockpit. I'm not a huge fan of doing that. But I did see that the suspension was behaving properly, there's a plus there.

It doesn't change my hopes for the future parts selection and ease of designing and constructing rovers and ground vehicles.

17 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

In the new features video, they are only using rocket parts for rover bodies with the exception of the new rover cockpit. I'm not a huge fan of doing that. But I did see that the suspension was behaving properly, there's a plus there.

It doesn't change my hopes for the future parts selection and ease of designing and constructing rovers and ground vehicles.

In one other video, Shadowzone's  I think they used the large wheels on the side of body. 
And the suspension looked great. 

On 10/21/2022 at 7:48 PM, Bej Kerman said:
On 10/19/2022 at 11:32 AM, Vl3d said:

Why would people need to warp in a race?

So you agree with having areas where warping is not allowed?

13 hours ago, Vl3d said:
On 10/21/2022 at 10:48 AM, Bej Kerman said:
On 10/19/2022 at 2:32 AM, Vl3d said:

Why would people need to warp in a race?

So you agree with having areas where warping is not allowed?

I'm saying that no-one in the race would bother to warp, and if one of the racers did then everyone else would likely disqualify them.

• 2 months later...

I think rover racing would be a really cool activity for KSP 2 multiplayer, before I found this thread I had actually come up with an idea for a multiplayer race where basically, all participants would need to build a rover capable of completing a race from Duna's north pole all the way to the south pole. A race not only to test everyone's driving skill, but their endurance and building skills. And if your rover crashed or broke down before reaching the south pole, you would be eliminated. (Also no time warp, that would be considered cheating) The winner would be the one to reach the south pole first, or if everyone else was eliminated the winner is the last one still going.  I'm really interested to see how a concept like that could work in a KSP 2 multiplayer server, especially if racing rovers are going to be a thing. (Also if anyone steals my idea and does this race themselves when KSP 2 multiplayer comes out, please make a video or something I would be curious to see the entire race.)

5 hours ago, The Laythean said:

I think rover racing would be a really cool activity for KSP 2 multiplayer, before I found this thread I had actually come up with an idea for a multiplayer race where basically, all participants would need to build a rover capable of completing a race from Duna's north pole all the way to the south pole. A race not only to test everyone's driving skill, but their endurance and building skills. And if your rover crashed or broke down before reaching the south pole, you would be eliminated. (Also no time warp, that would be considered cheating) The winner would be the one to reach the south pole first, or if everyone else was eliminated the winner is the last one still going.  I'm really interested to see how a concept like that could work in a KSP 2 multiplayer server, especially if racing rovers are going to be a thing. (Also if anyone steals my idea and does this race themselves when KSP 2 multiplayer comes out, please make a video or something I would be curious to see the entire race.)

you do realize that would be an 1800+ km (around 1200 mi) race right? and thats if there was was a straight line.

Edited by mcwaffles2003

3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

you do realize that would be an 1800+ km (around 1200 mi) race right? and thats if there was was a straight line.

Id imagine there would be alot of rule sharking of what exactly a 'rover' is and how close a rover can be to an icbm to avoid the race taking literally 20 irl hours to complete xD