Patch Two On Approach

Nate Simpson

2 hours ago, Observe said:

I wonder if the game would benefit from a different physics engine? One such, is Jolt, discussed here for example. Though, perhaps that would be barking up the wrong tree for all I know.

" By switching to this new engine, the studio saved memory, executable size, and were able to double their simulation frequency while using less CPU time."

What it needs is a custom engine designed for the unique 3D worldspace--modeling whole planets and the surrounding space out to potentially many light years (real scale!)--KSP uses. The devs of Children Of A Dead Earth (think Winchell Chung's Atomic Rockets site crossed with KSP) made their own engine for that game. But it's way too late for that, maybe for a potential KSP 3.

Edited by AlphaMensae

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Procedural wings exist because the slappy rectangles were a hassle to set up. Stacking up cylinders is easy.

And the semi proc tanks would ONLY reduce the size of part list. Part counts would stay the same because there still would be upper length limit, so after making one long you'd still have to add a second one when needed.

Not if the upper length limit was extended.

I would assume that it would not be too difficult to 'unlock' extra length steps as a part of science/tech progression.

Tubes have limits, engine plates have limits, even though they're just featureless cylinders. Wings have limits, you want more, install bigger one. Tanks will have limits, plus the models are a bit more complex with all the piping and stuff.

For people complaining about rigidity and Unity - it's always bending where things are weaker, like separators. I have never seen a rocket in any of the two games that would break between two fuel tanks - and don't mention that picture with super long tube that is not straight, because even as single piece of metal that thing wouldn't be structurally stable IRL either.

And it's still not done, why not wait until it's working as intended by devs and then decide whether you like the system or not? Perhaps, a wild though to some, it won't make a difference if it's made out of Lego or magic?

About 6 hours or so until patch notes, mind you.

I think you miss understood what I was saying.

12 hours ago, LeroyJenkins said:

You are forgetting the impact to the TWR.

A piece of my post you didn't quote.  

12 hours ago, AVaughan said:

If the tanks were twice as long, then you only need half as many tanks for the same amount of fuel.

I am suggesting that proc tanks enable you to replace multiple smaller tanks with a small number of larger tanks.  That can be done without changing the amount of fuel, or the TWR (assuming that tank mass scales with tank volume, which is true for KSP 1 tanks, and not considering the impact of possibly adding an engine plate).    

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

And it's still not done, why not wait until it's working as intended by devs and then decide whether you like the system or not? Perhaps, a wild though to some, it won't make a difference if it's made out of Lego or magic?

You can't build the Burj Khalifa from the foundations of a house.

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Featureless cylinders.

Look! A human!

9 minutes ago, NaughtyMonster said:

So in proper time - which is to say in God's Marvellous Time - you mean around about tea time? :P

In reality, Its Pacific Daylight time and only pertains to KSP2 for the devs at Seattle. Everything else is referenced as UTC or EST.

Edited by DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE

Do you expect an answer to that other than " be patient" ? I get you. I'm literally sitting here, coming back peridically to press F5, so that i can finally try out the new patch. I'm so excited i feal like a 3 year old getting a ballon. Reentry heating is not included in this patch yet.