KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

10 minutes ago, Nightside said:

I don’t own the game yet, but I’m curious what do part config files look like in ksp2?

Taking a look at the files, there doesn't seem to be any such thing. The vanilla assets are all in asset bundles, and the "first parts mod for KSP2" seems to have done everything in C# code; maybe @LuxStice can confirm?

https://github.com/LuxStice/SORRY

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Taking a look at the files, there doesn't seem to be any such thing. The vanilla assets are all in asset bundles, and the "first parts mod for KSP2" seems to have done everything in C# code; maybe @LuxStice can confirm?

Actually part configs are Jsons now, but none of them are directly exposed... They are mostly under KSP2_ROOT_FOLDER/KSP2_x64_Data\StreamingAssets\aa\StandaloneWindows64 as addressables, almost all of the part's jsons are on the file that starts with parts_json-base_assets_all. I can't disclose how to decompile them here.
If you wish to edit parts im working on a API directed to modders to create the B9 Parts Switch variants in KSP2.
And me and a couple other people are working on a JSON Manager, something close to what ModuleManager is.

you can join the KSP2 Modding Society discord server to take a deeper, "behind the scene", look into KSP2 modding scene. here's the invite

• 2 weeks later...

Though shall not talk about the game being dead as far as player numbers are concerned.

Global Audience.... 99 people playing.

Its crazy that this is even been possible to the successor to KSP.

I wonder if there has ever been a sequel to a game this popular that's flopped this hard?

I really hope they can get their excrements together and make this game worth playing before Take-Two pull the rug out from under them.

Fingers crossed.

32 minutes ago, uglyduckling81 said:

Though shall not talk about the game being dead as far as player numbers are concerned.

Global Audience.... 99 people playing.

Its crazy that this is even been possible to the successor to KSP.

I wonder if there has ever been a sequel to a game this popular that's flopped this hard?

I really hope they can get their excrements together and make this game worth playing before Take-Two pull the rug out from under them.

Fingers crossed.

How is KSP2 in its current state considered a succesor? It's not, it may become its successor when development progresses. When they fix a majority of  game breaking bugs, get performance up to speed a bit and the first roadmap Milestone Science is reached they become more in line with each other. For now offcourse KSP1 is played more because it's a full fledged game, which KSP2 isn't.

On 6/5/2023 at 11:40 PM, LoSBoL said:

How is KSP2 in its current state considered a succesor? It's not, it may become its successor when development progresses. When they fix a majority of  game breaking bugs, get performance up to speed a bit and the first roadmap Milestone Science is reached they become more in line with each other. For now offcourse KSP1 is played more because it's a full fledged game, which KSP2 isn't.

I don't want to get too technical here, but  it's right there in the title.

KSP2..... successor to KSP.

Being young and excrementsting the bed doesn't change the fact your the successor to your father.

Of course your father could abandon you only partly grown. I suppose the would change your status as successor.

38 minutes ago, uglyduckling81 said:

I don't want to get too technical here, but  it's right there in the title.

KSP2..... successor to KSP.

Being young and excrementsting the bed doesn't change the fact your the successor to your father.

Of course your father could abandon you only partly grown. I suppose the would change your status as successor.

I think you know what I meant with my post here.

If you want to get technical, in modern society we are no longer successors to our fathers, we choose our own paths in life and do not automatically become a fisherman or baker like our fathers used to be, we're descendants nowadays.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:52 AM, LoSBoL said:

I think you know what I meant with my post here.

If you want to get technical, in modern society we are no longer successors to our fathers, we choose our own paths in life and do not automatically become a fisherman or baker like our fathers used to be, we're descendants nowadays.

That's a fair point. We don't really live up to our names anymore. Jim Baker doesn't mean anything anymore.

89 players was the low point this week.

• 2 weeks later...

More than likely, most of the prominent KSP content creators share some similar views of how they don’t have the upmost confidence in KSP2 with how it’s been looking, but that could burn some bridges they rather keep or even just not be how they wish to present themselves online.

Regardless, the absolute lack of anything positive coming from anybody says plenty.

4 hours ago, moeggz said:

Curious about how people, that are stating you should do your research before buying, can explain this. 

Scott and a select few few people actually played the game before launch, went over there and talked with them and asked questions about the game plans, and yet they still felt like they have enough information and should buy, as they had enough hope the game will be good. 

Today, one of them says it was too early and most of them don’t touch the game nearly as much since launch.

so what’s the case here?

Also people that bought without informing themselves?

2 hours ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

Curious about how people, that are stating you should do your research before buying, can explain this.

Also people that bought without informing themselves?

Marketing will always be the enemy of "well-informed". While there are great things about KSP2, the promotional video for KSP2 so far is nearly the best thing about it, and only served to distract from the shortcomings of even a "good grief this is too soon" alpha release of the game into Early Access.

I know someone who very recently was jettisoned by Intercept (more than likely by C-level decree). While this friend could not relay anything sensitive to me, I at least had somewhat of an insider's view to inform me, so I had no qualms about allowing my brother (not my friend) to gift the Early Access game to me. Even so, it's been a very disappointing release, still is, and is even more so now  in some ways.

I really, truly hope the best for this game: for the sake of the people who work so hard on it, for the entire community surrounding KSP, and for the people who have shelled out what is universally considered to be far too much for an alpha-level Early Access release that still has a long, long way to go. 

Perhaps when we hit v0.1.5, the game might reach a level where the fun outweighs the frustration.

2 hours ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

Watch Scott Manley's video of the ESA Early Access KSP2 Lauch event organised by Intercept/Private Division themselves. Note how critical he was even before release.

1 hour ago, LoSBoL said:

Watch Scott Manley's video of the ESA Early Access KSP2 Lauch event organised by Intercept/Private Division themselves. Note how critical he was even before release.

Scott wasn't the only one that was critical about the game. The other predominant steamers were too. But none said the game was a lost cause. In their own ways, all of them basically said this is an EA release, and was in rough shape. None said you should skip it, but they did warn their viewers to expect a less than perfect game.

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

Scott wasn't the only one that was critical about the game. The other predominant steamers were too. But none said the game was a lost cause. In their own ways, all of them basically said this is an EA release, and was in rough shape. None said you should skip it, but they did warn their viewers to expect a less than perfect game.

A less than perfect game, which is exactly what it is. I, as well, wish the dev team nothing but the best success in their continuing work on the game. Maybe I am an optimist, maybe Nate made an impact on me, but I truly believe they WANT the game to be everything they said it would be.  For now, I will tinker with it from time to time after each update is released and see how I feel going forward from there. I will never not like the concept of KSP, and will always give this new iteration the benefit of the doubt with each update. I hope for the best, but keep my expectations low. Low expectations lead to low disappointment.

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

The streamers do have some interest in the game being a success as their view stats depend on it, so they will be reluctant to burn it. To quote Crisjen Avasarala from The ExpanseI: “don't listen to what people say, look at what they do.”  It's more telling to see how much KSP2 content is being created, especially by streamers who don't rely mostly on KSP for their streams.

7 hours ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

As one of those people, the ESA release party streams was what informed me to not buy.

Most of that came from watching Scott, the only person in that group that I watch regularly.

There's a difference,I guess, between being informed and making informed decisions.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

To quote Crisjen Avasarala from The ExpanseI: “don't listen to what people say, look at what they do.” 

Good advice. Learned that one long before the Expanse.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:36 PM, Polaris0352 said:

A less than perfect game, which is exactly what it is. I, as well, wish the dev team nothing but the best success in their continuing work on the game. Maybe I am an optimist, maybe Nate made an impact on me, but I truly believe they WANT the game to be everything they said it would be.  For now, I will tinker with it from time to time after each update is released and see how I feel going forward from there. I will never not like the concept of KSP, and will always give this new iteration the benefit of the doubt with each update. I hope for the best, but keep my expectations low. Low expectations lead to low disappointment.

Don’t worry.  KSP was and still is a very much less than perfect game, even after nearly a decade of development.  

We’re four months into EA. 

12 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

Don’t worry.  KSP was and still is a very much less than perfect game, even after nearly a decade of development.  

We’re four months into EA. 

Sadly this is inapt. 

KSP may have had it's problems, but it was functional.  Especially in the context of a game developed so long ago. 

The expectation was that EA Sandbox would present as functional with a few 'to be released features'.  I'm not talking about the 'still on the roadmap' features - but small things like reentry, fuel flow, etc. 

Imagine if this post had been honest about the state of the Release? 

https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/9700396/

(Launch Day Notes) 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

32 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Sadly this is inapt. 

KSP may have had it's problems, but it was functional.  Especially in the context of a game developed so long ago. 

The expectation was that EA Sandbox would present as functional with a few 'to be released features'.  I'm not talking about the 'still on the roadmap' features - but small things like reentry, fuel flow, etc. 

Imagine if this post had been honest about the state of the Release? 

https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/9700396/

(Launch Day Notes) 

I’ll politely disagree about KSP’s functionality.  Having been playing since mid 2013, my recollection is that it was buggy, slow, had worse graphics, fewer parts, fewer planets, fewer buildings and so forth than KSP2 EA, with the fixes coming at a much slower pace - wheels were still frustrating in 2016, with science and career mode coming in years after launch.

There’s a great video on the evolution of KSP here, that shows what I’m talking about: 

KSP2 EA clearly blows the socks off KSP this far into its development, and we have a clearer idea of where the game is going than we did with KSP.

I’ll admit to having some disappointment over the state of the EA - I would have preferred a feature complete bug free game in 2020, like everyone else, but we got the EA that we did, with the comms that we did and we’re going to get 1.0 when we get it.  And I’d gone into all bets are off mode when the EA was announced, so in retrospect, my expectations were probably more realistic than most people’s, although not realistic enough.  Again, I was a bit disappointed, but it’s better to tailor one’s expectations to reality than get fussed over history that we can’t fix, IMHO, and the EA is clearly improving faster and on more fronts than KSP1 did.  And comms-wise, IG has upped their game considerably now.

I’m optimistic that we’re going to continue to see KSP2 mature into a much better and bigger game than KSP, much faster.