Bug Status [9/14]

• KSP Team

image.png

Hi all! Welcome back to another K.E.R.B (Kerbal End-users Report Bugs) check-in! 

Patch v0.1.4 has been out for two weeks and we've seen reports of notable performance improvements from a significant portion of players who previously reported performance issues. There are a few recursive bugs that have popped up, but we've quickly identified them thanks to the work of our QA team and your community reports.

One of the most noteworthy updates here is that the team has recently implemented a potential additional fix for Orbital Decay. We hope to have more details to share in the next K.E.R.B. Report.

As always, we thank you for all of your contributions to the bug reports subforum. We've seen a lot more engagement over the past few weeks and we appreciate you all.

Have a good weekend,

The KSP Team

Current Top Issues: 

# Bug Status
1 Wobbly Rockets Experimenting with short-term solutions
2 Orbital Decay Testing potential fix
3 KSP calculating physics all at once Investigating
4 Camera Resets Position Map View Partially fixed, second fix in progress
5 Phantom forces when deploying landing legs/gear Known issue, investigating
6 Massive framerate drop when looking at planet in low orbit  
7 No trajectory lines in map view Unable to repeatedly reproduce, need more info
8 Timewarp under Acceleration stops Engaging Properly after a certain amount of years have passed See #11
9 Engine Plate Fairing Respawns after load or switching vessels  
10 Reloading a save and switching vessels retracts the LV-2000 Trumpets nozzle Investigating
11 Acceleration During Time Warp Doesn’t Work at Times Investigating [see Dakota's note below]
12 Inconsistent Framerate During Launch Investigating
13 Active Vessel Pulls Craft Close when in Timewarp Original bug fixed, but found new reproduction. Investigating
14 SAS does not hold orientation during time warp Investigating
15 Struts: ctrl+z in the VAB renders struts/fuel lines invisible, visual bug Investigating
16 Surface Rendering Fragment Shaders Are Inefficient Dupe of #6, will be merging
17 Velocity of Target Not Displayed as Relative to Target Reported fixed by community, unable to reproduce, still investigating

Moving a radially attached part with a strut on it, break the game

Two separate issues, one with struts, one with symmetry. Investigating
19 Cannot create/edit a maneuver node when game is paused Known, investigating solutions for this and other pause-related issues
20 Elliptical Solar Orbits Cause Timewarp Under Acceleration to Stop Producing Thrust See #11

Note: this report is not fully representative of the work our team is focused on. This is just to provide insight into our progress on the most concerning issues to our community. Additionally, the lack of a status update does not imply a lack of importance or general progress - we just do not have anything to share at this time.

• Community Manager

As an addendum for #8, #11, and #20: we believe that these issues may all be interconnected. However until we can confirm that they are related, we are going to leave them as individual reports. The team is investigating and if validated as dupes, we'll merge them and the next two issues (#21 and #22) would be bumped up for the next KERB Report, assuming the order does not change.

I'm holding out hope that the planetary terrain rendering gets a significant optimization soon.

That's the only thing that's keeping me from playing the game in an enjoyable fashion, as my FPS gets more than cut in half when a planet or moon is in my view.

Doubts aside, things can only get better! The team has clearly shown that they're capable of fixing major issues with this game.

1 minute ago, The Diamond Gear said:

I'm holding out hope that the planetary terrain rendering gets a significant optimization soon.

That's the only thing that's keeping me from playing the game in an enjoyable fashion, as my FPS gets more than cut in half when a planet or moon is in my view.

Doubts aside, things can only get better! The team has clearly shown that they're capable of fixing major issues with this game.

we haven't seen any information nor post/follow up since of the original one really that has sticked in my mind.. besides "still working"

11 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

I thought wobble was a "long term" thing? How come it is now approached with "short term solutions" ?

Likely because its integrated physics engine framework that is core element of the game, which is going to take a LONG time to make a permanent fix. So a short term is required to make the game playable (cough: Autostrut).

Edited by PicoSpace

6 minutes ago, PicoSpace said:

Likely because its integrated physics engine framework that is core element of the game, which is going to take a LONG time to make a permanent fix. So a short term is required to make the game playable (cough: Autostrut).

So... that'd wipe the "no autostrut" statement Nate made, or the other "editing that CFG is not the fix". I wonder what are they gonna come up with.

2 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

So... that'd wipe the "no autostrut" statement Nate made, or the other "editing that CFG is not the fix". I wonder what are they gonna come up with.

No idea, but its still a issue, much better in 1.4 but I can't build too crazy rockets... and vertical stacks are still pretty unstable depending on what you put in your payload or use engine plates.

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

I thought wobble was a "long term" thing? How come it is now approached with "short term solutions" ?

The last KERB was mentioning "short-term and long-term solutions". It seems they are actually making these short term solutions right now. To me it doesn't sound like they are ditching the long-term solutions.

Edited by Spicat

1 hour ago, AaronDoesSpace said:

I lose hope for this game every day

6 months in and half the core issues turning people away are being "investigated"

just upsetting to watch

Well, this is the current top 20 list and has changed a lot from the pervious one before 0.1.4. As such, issues that were not as serious get more attention and new bugs were found. The list is changing.

No means of attacking you, but I want to share my analysis.

Edit: looking foward to fixing more bugs in the upcoming update!

Edited by Alpha_star

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

1. "Status: under investigation, some fixes in progress"  [Said June 9]

For context on this, the kerb specifies that the fixes are applying to one specific bug (engine plates were extra wobbly), and that was fixed.

Anyways, its nice to see that wobble is getting addressed, not too suprised this is when its getting addressed considering its honestly lower priority then orbital decay, its hell to work around, but it can reliably be worked around. Though Ill acknowledge im not the best accurate judge of either because despite my 100 hours in the game i have not encountered either significantly because i do mission profiles that tended to avoid them.

That being said i cant really be too excited or dissapointed around how good these changes be when we dont even know what they are. If its just “hey heres autostrut” then im gonna be dissapointed, if theres a clever thing that i didnt think of to address wobble then i wont be.

(also this is decent evidence for my theory that the videos will tie into 1.5, if reentry is revealed to be in 1.5 through the video on it i will be so smug)

Edited by Strawberry

6 hours ago, PicoSpace said:

I wouldn't say it would take THAT long though I can't say much as my games using ECS and DOTS haven't been as ambitious. Unity engine's DOTS seems like a simple fix but then the ksp2 devs have to figure out how to mix that with everything else. It'd be more worthwhile to get the first few roadmap items done, and then start working on converting the ENTIRE project into dots rather than a mix. This would fit into colonies development as there are talks about using Dots for the colonies stuff, but we'll see.

Edited by GradientOGames

6 hours ago, DancZer said:

How do you split resources regarding bugfix vs feature development? It looks like that you shifted toward the feature development and less effort in bug fixing.

It has been like this since the beginning. Iirc they have never stated otherwise.

13 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

Why not both?