New Dev Chat Coming Friday

Nerdy_Mike

I'm going to assume this is a recorded session. There wouldn't be a reason to do it this Friday as opposed to next Friday, unless the Dev Update schedule is packed to the gills and I find that very hard to believe.

With that addressed, why on earth would you make this announcement when the only thing said about the critical registry bug is "we'll provide an update soon." Few things say "tone deaf" as loudly as "we're going to have a video on why we think wobbly rockets are great without addressing a major system bug that repels the remaining three dozen players from playing the game."

The request was more communication. This isn't communicating. It's broadcasting.

10 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

The single biggest issue for many is being addressed publicly by the developers on Friday and half the comments are aggressively negative.

I'm so surprised.

There's only one or two comment's I could even call "aggressively negative".

The rest are people showing excitement or curiosity.

Anyways I am very excited we are getting a Dev chat about wobbliness. :D

Spoiler

1 or 2/7 is not half just so you know. ;)

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

The single biggest issue for many is being addressed publicly by the developers on Friday and half the comments are aggressively negative.

One thing EA has taught me is that Intercept's PR is exceptionally well versed in saying something that sounds like something else. Afterwards you can't really say "you promised x" because they never actually said that. Yes, that's toxic and creates distrust from your customers in the long run and here we are.

Maybe I'm overly negative but I didn't see words like "address" or "solution" on the announcement. We do have announcements about timelines of when they will announce the timeline of bug fixes. This one isn't even that. It's just a talk.

1 hour ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

There's only one or two comment's I could even call "aggressively negative".

1 or 2/7 is not half just so you know. ;)

You're more generous than I. I count 3 out of 7 which is as close to half as you can get with 7.

3 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Maybe I'm overly negative but I didn't see words like "address" or "solution" on the announcement.

I didn't say they solved it. They addressed it. As in they mentioned it.

As long as the discussion is about the changes being done to solve the current issues with rockets flopping all over, I'll be overall happy - whether I'm happy with the specific changes or timelines is a different story, but I'll consider it progress if my displeasure is regarding when and how, as opposed to whether its even getting touched. However, if this is the equivalent of the heat system dev blog, a whole lotta words telling us "Wow its hard but we'll totally get it eventually" and just leaving it at that, I will not be happy.

Yes please be quick to deliver this long-waited video! Are you guys at the development team going to show us both the short-term solution and the long term one, or is it just about one of them?

Always great to have some transparency! Best wishes for this game.

8 hours ago, Kerbart said:

One thing EA has taught me is that Intercept's PR is exceptionally well versed in saying something that sounds like something else. Afterwards you can't really say "you promised x" because they never actually said that. Yes, that's toxic and creates distrust from your customers in the long run and here we are.

Maybe I'm overly negative but I didn't see words like "address" or "solution" on the announcement. We do have announcements about timelines of when they will announce the timeline of bug fixes. This one isn't even that. It's just a talk.

The problem seems to lie within reading comprehension in my opinion.  Just because the communication doesn't say what you want it to, doesn't mean it's not communication. Just because you interpreted prior communication as some kind of promise, doesn't mean it was intentionally misleading. 

1 hour ago, kdaviper said:

The problem seems to lie within reading comprehension in my opinion.

The problem is the content and, in this specific case timing. Like he said, there doesn't seem to be much difference whether we'll get info on wobbly rockets this week or the next. I'm more concerned now with that registry bug. Is it too hard to give at least some  insight regarding it? Like... one sentence per day? Still working on it, still working on it, possible fix found, fix in test, fix seems to be working, preparing hotfix, planned release on x.y.z, oops, we'll move it 2 days because reasons...

1 hour ago, kdaviper said:

The problem seems to lie within reading comprehension in my opinion.  Just because the communication doesn't say what you want it to, doesn't mean it's not communication. Just because you interpreted prior communication as some kind of promise, doesn't mean it was intentionally misleading. 

Communication is two-way. Sticking your fingers in your ears and announcing “a talk about wobbly rockets” (a talk, not a discussion, not addressing it, not discussing possible solutions — and they are masters in picking their words when it comes to this) without any regards for what has the most attention right now isn’t communicating. It’s broadcasting with a bull horn and showing no interest in what goes on in the community.

10 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

not addressing it, not discussing possible solutions

why do you assume that's not what they're going to do? They've been investigating this for a while, so there's definitely a good chance that they've come up with some short and long term solutions that they want to address. 
Also, wobbliness is what's been the community's biggest issue so far, the fact that they're talking about it makes it communication. The community broadcasted it's concerns about this, and they heard it, and will address it. that's the 2-way you're talking about. or do you want them to hold your hand and bring you on the talk so you can express the same things everyone else has over and over again?

let's see tomorrow after the talk if they've discussed possible solutions or not.

I've been saying this for MONTHS at this point... Until you start showing some progress, rather than talking about how your preparing to fix something that you considered at feature just a few short months ago, it's all just words... Yet again. It's time to put up or shut up... And, to be perfectly honest, you're going to need to pull something pretty spectacular out of that hat to win the majority of folks back around. I hope you can do it but I have zero belief that you will, time will tell.

One question for the devs though... Where/are all these same bugs experienced since release present in the internal builds that you were playing and how do they translate across the branches you currently have in development? 

Now, I'm not one who openly criticizes this game. I personally really enjoy playing it but... I REALLY hope that this dev chat talks about fixing wobbliness. That has been essentially the ONLY thing keeping me away from the game.