Introducing For Science! - Major Content Update Out in December

Intercept Games

2 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

a039f43bd1e7105444777ad8a40a4894d351f4e0

There was an image on the steam announcement that wasnt on the forums for some reason

This furthers my question about thebscience junior returning both as the pictured gadget makes no mention of return type at all.

12 minutes ago, Stevie_D said:

The science does sadly sound rather a lot like the old science mode but with a time delay tacked on. And the "find Points of Interest for science" just sounds like the anomalies from KSP1  being turned from easter eggs into an addition to science. One of the main gripes about science in KSP 1 was the fact it was so monotonous and not very involved or interesting. It was a glorified repeating fetch quest. Having various things to do for different types of experiments was what most long-time players were hoping for.  I would say that, hopefully, the devs did their market research, knew that, and that's what they've been working on and they're just holding out on us for part of that "interesting things to come" quote... but then again, Nate thought the community loved wobbly rockets for 4 entire years of game development... And continued to do so even after it was pointed out from witnessing it happen in the earliest videos a year or so before release. So that's why I understand most folks will be cautious at hearing news of this update.

Did you want to make science collection a minigame or something? 

4 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

This furthers my question about thebscience junior returning both as the pictured gadget makes no mention of return type at all.

I think the reason for that is simply they dont have the expanded view from shift, though there is defiintely some other interesting stuff in that picture. The purple thing looks like a greenhouse for example

17 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Did you want to make science collection a minigame or something? 

No. I simply stated various tasks associated with the type of experiment. For instance - the thermometer experiment could be a "make sure your craft sits through one full rotation of the planet so that it gets the maximum high and the maximum low, so it can discover both and also the average temperature." That in itself would pose different challenges based upon the planet's rotation speed or ...if life support is added... pose a further challenge to making sure the craft has enough supplies/food to last. Or give you the option to land on the day side and then the night side to get both (especially if a planet is tidally locked.) There are plenty of ways to make science more of a gameplay challenge without it being a minigame in itself.

That was just off the top of my head. I'm already thinking of far more fun ones for the other science experiments but i'll save this from becoming a long-winded post.

Edited by Stevie_D

49 minutes ago, Stevie_D said:

No. I simply stated various tasks associated with the type of experiment. For instance - the thermometer experiment could be a "make sure your craft sits through one full rotation of the planet so that it gets the maximum high and the maximum low, so it can discover both and also the average temperature." That in itself would pose different challenges based upon the planet's rotation speed or ...if life support is added... pose a further challenge to making sure the craft has enough supplies/food to last. Or give you the option to land on the day side and then the night side to get both (especially if a planet is tidally locked.) There are plenty of ways to make science more of a gameplay challenge without it being a minigame in itself.

That was just off the top of my head. I'm already thinking of far more fun ones for the other science experiments but i'll save this from becoming a long-winded post.

Well, again, as @Jaypeg pointed out there is a timer on experiments possibly hinting at a more kerbalism like mechanic for science. Also, Nate confirmed long ago that telescopes would be used to discover planets and possibly some properties about them. I really don't think we are getting a 1 to 1 on KSP 1 science. Also, on the last page I've listed a fair amount of ways in which I would like science to be interactive and preferably useful beyond point collection.

23 hours ago, Mutex said:

That looks more like the time it'll take to transmit the data you've already collected back to Kerbin.

Correct.

22 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I've got a question here.  In the Science Experiment box in the above shot, it is stated that the part returns "both".  Both...what?  Are there multiple different types of data that can be collected?  Is this simply the difference between numbers and soil samples?  Where would atmospheric samples come into play?

This part can create both a data research report and a sample.

3 hours ago, Stevie_D said:

The science does sadly sound rather a lot like the old science mode but with a time delay tacked on.

From what I got from earlier posts and the grainy presentation (the stream posted on YT was out of focus and from a bad angle) I think it ties closely to the missions offered. While it still be, effectively, perform a temperature survey around Mun the amount of Science points returned is likely higher, and you don't have to do the same research over and over again to progress.

Of course, all of this is wild speculation, based on WIP content we might never see, or only see two months late, incomplete, and not working. There's no way to know that until we get there.

This is awesome, I've been waiting for this as career is my favorite in ksp and so this should come close(an actual career mode with money would be cool but that can be modded in.)

I really do like the idea of science minigames. I mean who here doesn't like science? lol. But seriously, science could be waaay more fun in ksp2. One of my favorite mods in ksp1 was Tarsier Space scopes. That turned planet discovering into a telescope picture taking minigame that was really fun for me. I'm sure there are many more instances like this that could be implemented. I'm interested to see what they've come up with.

Edited by InterstellarDrifter

1 hour ago, InterstellarDrifter said:

I really do like the idea of science minigames.

I really don’t! They might be fun the first time but they will get really boring quickly!

The mission should be the minigame: make the conditions for the experiment just a bit more involved (or, even better, make it possible to get more science by meeting more complex conditions). That would push you to do more challenging missions.

It just has to make sense rather than be a random “take a temperature reading at these arbitrary coordinates.”

I’m quite keen to see how this plays. It’s easy to toss around ideas, turning them into something that’s actually fun is a whole different thing! :joy:

1 hour ago, Periple said:

take a temperature reading at these arbitrary coordinates

That's one of the things that annoyed me in KSP1 contracts - those random coordinates have no meaning nor logic behind them, my question has always been "what's so special about those coordinates?" If we ever get those missions again, I hope they would contain objectives which actually make sense in the context of a mission and environment, and won't be stupid stuff like "activate a decoupler on escape trajectory from Kerbol".

Main concern with this news is that it appears we’re still recycling ideas from KSP1, I was hoping for a different, better approach, but I’m reserving judgment for when I actually play the update and see for myself.

What I do want to point out is that it was, apparently, beneficial to talk less and do more, especially since communication didn’t seem to be improved.

So looking forward to the next period of silence after the Science update, because it is a lot of work ahead of us if we want to progress through that Roadmap while we are young. 

Edited by GGG-GoodGuyGreg

Hey guys, back from Space Creator Day. I was in the crowd when the announcement happened, just wanted to give you guys some impressions from how the reactions were and what people thought who talked to me afterwards.

First off, the KSP2 stand was SWARMED basically the entire time. There even was a father and son that came all the way from Seattle to attend the event, not exclusively for KSP2 but it was a big part (I chatted with them a bit). Pretty much until the presentation, Nate and Dakota were non stop interacting with fans. What does that tell us? It appears that interest in KSP2 is still high despite the problems it is currently facing.

During the presentation, the crowd was very positive regarding the information provided. I talked to a few audience members afterwards and they pretty much share my own take: Nate sold "FOR SCIENCE!" (I am contractually obligated to use all caps and exclamation mark every time1) pretty well. But now the team has to deliver the quality matching the promises made on Saturday.

Personally, I am pretty excited about the prospect of the update.

Btw, I will upload my recording of Nate's presentation later today (October 23 CEST) including high res trailer footage. You'll be able to check out all the details a lot better than with the SCD official stream footage.  This was my POV:

F9GoeGZWgAAbHl0?format=jpg&name=medium

1 - Just in case, I am joking. There is no contract between myself and Intercept Games, Private Division or Take Two Interactive.

35 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

Btw, I will upload my recording of Nate's presentation later today (October 23 CEST) including high res trailer footage. You'll be able to check out all the details a lot better than with the SCD official stream footage.  This was my POV:

1 - Just in case, I am joking. There is no contract between myself and Intercept Games, Private Division or Take Two Interactive.

Looking forward to that. Thank you for the insights ShadowZone!

3 hours ago, Periple said:

The mission should be the minigame: make the conditions for the experiment just a bit more involved (or, even better, make it possible to get more science by meeting more complex conditions). That would push you to do more challenging missions.

I really liked the sort of emergent minigame Scansat created, and it’s a lot more interesting and satisfying filling in the “fog-of-war” than just getting a probe into the “correct” range of orbital parameters then clicking a button and instantly getting the science/a map.

Edited by Sea_Kerman

11 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Correct.

Nooooo :<

Was really hoping for a touch of kerbalism instead of a ksp 1 port here. 

2 hours ago, Sea_Kerman said:

I really liked the sort of emergent minigame Scansat created, and it’s a lot more interesting and satisfying filling in the “fog-of-war” than just getting a probe into the “correct” range of orbital parameters then clicking a button and instantly getting the science/a map.

100%

Make science useful in the way science actually does, by giving us useful data that allows us to make better and more informed decisions!

Edited by mcwaffles2003

57 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

Hey guys, back from Space Creator Day. I was in the crowd when the announcement happened, just wanted to give you guys some impressions from how the reactions were and what people thought who talked to me afterwards.

First off, the KSP2 stand was SWARMED basically the entire time. There even was a father and son that came all the way from Seattle to attend the event, not exclusively for KSP2 but it was a big part (I chatted with them a bit). Pretty much until the presentation, Nate and Dakota were non stop interacting with fans. What does that tell us? It appears that interest in KSP2 is still high despite the problems it is currently facing.

During the presentation, the crowd was very positive regarding the information provided. I talked to a few audience members afterwards and they pretty much share my own take: Nate sold "FOR SCIENCE!" (I am contractually obligated to use all caps and exclamation mark every time1) pretty well. But now the team has to deliver the quality matching the promises made on Saturday.

Personally, I am pretty excited about the prospect of the update.

I can't wait for the contents and the high res for the new gameplay too! I would love to attend Space Creator Day (sadly, I couldn't as it is too far away from Australia, where I'm currently living)...As a graduate of Master of Science (Astrophysics) myself, this game gives me lots of practical ways to enhance and brush up my knowledge in Astrophysics and Aerospace flight. Time to apply what I learned from Astrophysics degree on KSP2! Especially when Science is enabled by this December! 

1 hour ago, Sea_Kerman said:

Yes, I think Scansat is exactly the kind of thing we ought to see more of! :happy: