"For Science!", KSP2's First Milestone Update is Available Now!

Intercept Games

• KSP Team

KERBONAUTS, WE HAVE LIFTOFF

The time is now - For Science! is now available! We're so excited to release this major content update to everyone.

Full release notes for v0.2.0.0 can be found here. We'd love to hear from you about feedback and bug reports on the update - please submit them to the suggestions and bug reports subforums.

Dive into and explore For Science! – and don’t forget to share with us your creations, accomplishments, and discoveries.

To celebrate the release of For Science!, Kerbal Space Program 2 is 20% off until January 4th, 2024 at 1PM ET.

KSP2_ForScience_PaidMedia_1200x628.png

The For Science! update comes with a brand-new campaign type - Exploration Mode, which adds progression and Science collection through missions, experiments, and journeying through the Kerbolar System. Collect and transmit Science from unique locations and redeem it back at the Kerbal Space Center's (KSC) newly opened Research and Development Center to unlock new part technologies, learn novel concepts, and journey further away from the Kerbal's home planet. While working through the tech tree, unlock the means to extend your reach across the Kerbolar System - from right at home on Kerbin, to the furthest regions of Eeloo, and to the murky depths of Eve. Exponential progression ensures that the rewards for your efforts match your ambitions.

image.gif

Asset 02.jpg

How will you collect Science? With all new Science collection parts! Integrate these parts to vehicles (be sure to take note of their shape and mass, it matters!) to carry out different experiments, depending on your mission. Keep an eye out for new Kerbal animations when Science gathering during Extra-Vehicular Activity (EVA)!

Asset 03.jpg

We've overhauled the Science collection and transmission interface for KSP2. During flight, it's now easy to know when there's an opportunity to take measurements or collect samples via a new Experiment Actions button, which provides detailed information about what opportunities are available in your current location. The brand-new Research Inventory gives clear information about how much Science you've already collected and the ability to transmit Science data. The Mission Tracker app helps you keep track of in-progress and completed objectives. New flight planning tools have also been added to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB), including altitude and environment-specific readouts that show thrust-to-weight ratio, burn time, and Delta-V for each stage. Data persists and continuously updates in-flight.

Asset 04.jpg

On your journeys, uncover a wealth of new research locations and mysterious geological formations spread across the Kerbolar System. Locate them and unlock special Science-gathering opportunities - we wonder what you're going to find...

Asset 05.jpg

The days of stress-free atmospheric re-entry have come to an end with the introduction of atmospheric re-entry heating effects and thermal part behavior.

Asset 06.jpg

We've also made significant quality of life improvements:

• An enhanced joint system has been developed, dramatically reducing wobbliness of large vehicles
  • Updated ambient sound systems
  • An all-new Boat Dock - complete with cranes and gantries for use both in-and-out of missions. With this comes additional buoyancy improvements!

image.png

From us at Intercept Games and Private Division, thank you. We hope you enjoy For Science! and your time amongst the stars!

Am I the only one who cant load and edit old vehicles in the VAB without them breaking in odd ways? Engines missing.. when ever i try to edit it the parts just disappear.. if I reload the vehicle It only half loads and is stuck in the floor?

I can use the vehicles If I just load them in directly on the pad. but no editing?

That being said - My frame rate around my space station has increased a lot.. It has moved back to the orbit I put it in! - the drift has disappeared... and the target prograde - retrograde is stable! the station was not spinning when I loaded it in.. the atmosphere is beautiful! The SAS is smooth! The grid fins are easy to stear! - what improvements team. what improvements!

Edited by BechMeister

Hmmmm, working till midnight today and have my day off tomorrow (not for KSP)

So decision to be made, off to bed after work, and play tomorrow.

Or? Poor myself a nice Bourbon when coming home, play a few hours and let my wife bring the kid to school while I'll sleep in.

Hard one, but I think I know what will happen when I start 0.2.0.0 to take a glimpse when I get home.

I was extremely disappointed with the original launch of KSP 2 in EA. But I just signed up to the forum to let you guys know that so far I'm having a great time with the new update. Really glad you guys have started to right the ship so to say. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to watching the game continue to progress.

18 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

OMG, KSP2 is playable now. Changing review to positive.

Esp. with the release discount, I think we're going to see people (who give a damn, at least) switching their reviews from negative to positive.

Bugs and performance are def. at playable levels now, and the simple gameplay loop is engaging.  Some of the writing finally gets to shine through with the missions as well - the little jab at the Blue Origin/Virgin Galactic rivalry was fun.  I was concerned that the tech tree would be more of the same, but it feels like choices are a little more consequential now and I caught myself wavering over where to strategically spend as the missions - and re-entry! - became more challenging.

This is a great update and I’m really excited for colonies as well! I have a question though, when will we see more additions to the vfx like vapor cones when flying fast, re entry burn marks on other parts besides the heat shield, fire spewing from exploded vehicles as shown in one of the dev videos, and fixes to the current SRB plumes (since they basically look like they are attached to the engine)? Just asking as I really like those little details like those. Overall, this update looks like a great foundation for the upcoming updates!