One Year of KSP2

Nate Simpson

20 minutes ago, rebel-1 said:

That's all fine, but the game is still unplayable. The KSP1 with mods is several times higher than the KSP2.

It’s most certainly not “unplayable”. It’s literally the only game I’ve been playing for the last month.

1 hour ago, Biggen said:

It’s most certainly not “unplayable”. It’s literally the only game I’ve been playing for the last month.

Same here, with a "Grand Tour" without any mods and no cheats, so... really playable :)  Happy Birthday KSP2 !!!

2 hours ago, joratto said:

So are we getting surface colonies with this update, or just orbital colonies at first?

Should be the whole colony system in general, so both. I am really looking forward to seeing the new editor for colonies and the Orbital VAB

16 minutes ago, Datau03 said:

Should be the whole colony system in general, so both. I am really looking forward to seeing the new editor for colonies and the Orbital VAB

I sure hope so, but I already expect several colony features to be omitted from this update (e.g. resource gathering which isn't confirmed until a later roadmap update). 

Furthermore, the roadmap only officially promises " Colony Parts" and "Orbital Vehicle Construction", so "just orbital colonies" would be compatible with that information.

While it's certainly difficult to forget how things started out, the game really is in a pretty good state now and I just have to say I appreciate that.

I'm planning on writing some stuff on mecha design in the future and KSP2 is one of my favourite "kitbashing" games out there, especially with all the colour tools.

Congrats for the 1 year, I was hoping to see more about the next update and when to expect it.

If you were to ask me 1 month ago I would've said the anniversary is the time when an update is going to be released, but maybe we're not very far off from that, who knows?

12 hours ago, dandoesstuff said:

1 year of ksp 2. i really can't believe it. feels like ksp 2 released yesterday

You are a bit closer to the truth than you think.

I don't really see any reason to celebrate. On the contrary I see plenty of reasons Nate, the dev team and the publisher should be ashamed. A year of limping along patching a pre-alpha game at a snails pace that launched in EA with a price tag of $50USD after years of delays. The official Reddit sub is about 95% KSP1 posts and this forum is all but dead. Only a hand full of people actually post here. Even if the devs are capable of delivering everything that was promised it will be another 5 years before this game is full release.

1 hour ago, calabus2 said:

I don't really see any reason to celebrate. On the contrary I see plenty of reasons Nate, the dev team and the publisher should be ashamed. A year of limping along patching a pre-alpha game at a snails pace that launched in EA with a price tag of $50USD after years of delays. The official Reddit sub is about 95% KSP1 posts and this forum is all but dead. Only a hand full of people actually post here. Even if the devs are capable of delivering everything that was promised it will be another 5 years before this game is full release.

2600 fixes and 60 hours of new content does not sound like a snails pace to me for a 9 month timeframe after such a disasterously bad launch

16 minutes ago, Jaypeg said:

2600 fixes and 60 hours of new content does not sound like a snails pace to me for a 9 month timeframe after such a disasterously bad launch

Just playing devils advocate but releasing it in such a state really should never happen for a legitimate studio. And charging $50 for us to be beta testers also isn’t a great look.

Now I  love the game but I’d be lying if I said I could play it without mods.  The maneuver node mod is critical for me else I couldn’t even play the damn thing. Stuff like that should really be fixed asap.

I am glad they are still devoting resources to this though and aren’t abandoning it. Keep working guys!

Edited by Biggen

On 2/24/2024 at 3:57 PM, Biggen said:

The maneuver node mod is critical for me else I couldn’t even play the damn thing. Stuff like that should really be fixed asap.

I've been playing through a science game recently, after taking a lengthy break out of frustration with all the bugs, and in general I have to say the game is a lot more playable than it was before.  Rockets don't bend like wet noodles, orbits are generally stable, and larger craft don't just go off the rails in orbit and shake themselves to pieces apropos of nothing.  The framerate is also markedly better for me, and I kind of like the direction they are going with the science missions.  There are still countless little annoyances though, and among them is the still-not-correctly-implemented maneuver node system.  I  don't actually have any trouble working  around it,  since if you just ignore when it tells you to start boosting  and do it KSP1-style, it seems to work fine. Still, it also doesn't seem to me like fixing it would be particularly difficult --  like changing one or two lines of code to calculate the burn start time correctly. How many hours of dev work could that possibly take? Another similarly easy-to-fix issue that should really have been taken care of by now is the hilariously wrong info in the planetary stats panel in the tracking station. That too couldn't require more than an hour's worth of work to fix. Again, for me that's not a big deal because I know where I can look the correct info up, but still stuff like this  creates a real barrier to enjoyment for people who are newer to the game and don't expect it to just lie to them like the Soviet Politburo. They are doing themselves a significant disservice by letting such easily fixed, off-putting-for-newbies bugs linger.

...Note to anyone who takes issue with what I said here: I retracted my statement above on how the KSP2 node works below, although I still don't think it works quite right even so. But the bottom line at this point is that I consider it a  mostly correctly implemented, but still wrong-headed change rather than a bugged one, for reasons elaborated upon down-thread and elsewhere.

Edited by herbal space program

9 hours ago, herbal space program said:

I've been playing through a science game recently, after taking a lengthy break out of frustration with all the bugs, and in general I have to say the game is a lot more playable than it was before.  Rockets don't bend like wet noodles, orbits are generally stable, and larger craft don't just go off the rails in orbit and shake themselves to pieces apropos of nothing.  The framerate is also markedly better for me, and I kind of like the direction they are going with the science missions.  There are still countless little annoyances though, and among them is the still-not-correctly-implemented maneuver node system.  I  don't actually have any trouble working  around it,  since if you just ignore when it tells you to start boosting  and do it KSP1-style, it seems to work fine. Still, it also doesn't seem to me like fixing it would be particularly difficult --  like changing one or two lines of code to calculate the burn start time correctly. How many hours of dev work could that possibly take? Another similarly easy-to-fix issue that should really have been taken care of by now is the hilariously wrong info in the planetary stats panel in the tracking station. That too couldn't require more than an hour's worth of work to fix. Again, for me that's not a big deal because I know where I can look the correct info up, but still stuff like this  creates a real barrier to enjoyment for people who are newer to the game and don't expect it to just lie to them like the Soviet Politburo. They are doing themselves a significant disservice by letting such easily fixed, off-putting-for-newbies bugs linger.

I have not experienced a significant differential between the expected burn and my resultant burn when starting at the countdown. In what scenarios are you experiencing this discrepancy?

30 minutes ago, kdaviper said:

I have not experienced a significant differential between the expected burn and my resultant burn when starting at the countdown. In what scenarios are you experiencing this discrepancy?

Like every time! Seriously, you can take my word for this. It still doesn't work right. It always tells you to start right where you placed the node, even though it pretty clearly calculates where that node will take you based on an instantaneous impulse at that spot. And that does not work, especially for longer burns. See what happens when you need to do a 4-minute Jool ejection burn for example.

23 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

Like every time! Seriously, you can take my word for this. It still doesn't work right. It always tells you to start right where you placed the node, and that does not work, especially for longer burns. See what happens when you need to do a 4-minute Jool ejection burn for example.

So you place a node. You draw it out. you drag it around to achieve exactly what you want.

And then you follow it.

And the result is different than the plan?

I've had this happen like once, and I couldn't recreate it. I assumed I did something wrong that one time. But maybe there's some weird bug here that is hard to recreate.

The vast majority of my burns, though, I start when it says (which is when I placed the node) and stop when it says, and the burn matches the node perfectly.

NOTE:

KSP2 nodes are DIFFERENT than KSP1 nodes. They don't work the same way and trying to make a KSP1 node in KSP2 will not work. If you want to make a long burn at Pe to lower your Ap, you need to make the node BEFORE your Pe, not AT you Pe.

9 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

So you place a node. You draw it out. you drag it around to achieve exactly what you want.

And then you follow it.

And the result is different than the plan?

I've had this happen like once, and I couldn't recreate it. I assumed I did something wrong that one time. But maybe there's some weird bug here that is hard to recreate.

The vast majority of my burns, though, I start when it says (which is when I placed the node) and stop when it says, and the burn matches the node perfectly.

No, it is not some hard-to-reproduce bug. If I start my burn at half its duration before the node, I end up more or less exactly where it said I would go. If I do it right where I place the node, which is what it tells me to do, that totally doesn't happen. Try it with a long burn sometime!

4 hours ago, herbal space program said:

No, it is not some hard-to-reproduce bug. If I start my burn at half its duration before the node, I end up more or less exactly where it said I would go. If I do it right where I place the node, which is what it tells me to do, that totally doesn't happen. Try it with a long burn sometime!

*sigh*

4 hours ago, herbal space program said:

I’m curious to see a video of the said bug, to determine if it’s one (and potentially to make a bug report).

It's known that some longer burns may end up slightly off, especially near the end the trajectory doesn't quite match, I've seen and reported a bunch of occurrences. But claiming that halfway to node gives more accurate results is... Bold.

Edeet: I can't believe it went to the archive but 

it's there but not as severe as some may say.

Edited by The Aziz

11 hours ago, herbal space program said:

Like every time! Seriously, you can take my word for this. It still doesn't work right. It always tells you to start right where you placed the node, and that does not work, especially for longer burns. See what happens when you need to do a 4-minute Jool ejection burn for example.

I've done 7-minute burns with no problem! Now the timer might not always work but as long as I watch the trajectory in the last few seconds I'm right on.

3 hours ago, kdaviper said:

I've done 7-minute burns with no problem! Now the timer might not always work but as long as I watch the trajectory in the last few seconds I'm right on.

This is what I have found.

Burn at the start time indicated, but then completely ignore the timer and simply look at the trajectory. I have never had an issue doing this.

However if I try to follow the timer it only sometimes works.

Edited by MechBFP