Take 2 earnings call documentation...

Posted (edited)

IGN's take. "Take-Two CEO on Intercept, Roll7: 'We Didn't Shutter Those Studios'"   https://www.ign.com/articles/take-two-ceo-on-intercept-roll7-we-didnt-shutter-those-studios

But it's all corporate bafflegab; meaningless.  So you closed the office, laid everyone off, but "didn't shutter the studio"?  That's pretty much what we heard before: no one is working on it, but he's heads down working hard.  I'm assuming the studio lives on in name only, the work has moved to a legacy code support team, and we'll get whatever work was in motion on 4/29 in the next few months.  Then critical bugfixes only.

I'm starting to get rather upset that the roadmap is still on the Steam store page, unless there some secret plan to replace everyone and start over (which seems ridiculous at this point).

Edited by Skorj

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

But never closed the studio. The studio has been open for 11 years making no games and employing 0 people.

You just fail to see the bright side that the studio is still open.

Edited by cocoscacao

13 hours ago, TLTay said:

Looks like no useful info. Still in the dark.

They should have hired HarvesteR as their lead. Then this wouldn't have happened.

So the same game that gets cancelled except there's no dV readouts? Let's say it together, he was just one dev working on KSP 1 and his game dev skills are vastly overstated.

41 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

So the same game that gets cancelled except there's no dV readouts? Let's say it together, he was just one dev working on KSP 1 and his game dev skills are vastly overstated.

Have you listened to the interview with Matt Lowne? His vision and would-be approach for ksp2 are very different than what IG ended up doing.

6 minutes ago, modus said:

Have you listened to the interview with Matt Lowne? His vision and would-be approach for ksp2 are very different than what IG ended up doing.

His idea for a KSP sequel is to take his space game that became so popular because of its focus on space physics, and gut the space physics part. Not worth a second thought. I can see why Squad opted to ignore it and continue with KSP 1 instead. If he was head of Star Theory and did something like a *proper* sequel, you can bet he would have made worse decisions in shorter spans of time.

17 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

His idea for a KSP sequel is to take his space game that became so popular because of its focus on space physics, and gut the space physics part. Not worth a second thought. I can see why Squad opted to ignore it and continue with KSP 1 instead. If he was head of Star Theory and did something like a *proper* sequel, you can bet he would have made worse decisions in shorter spans of time.

That's some pretty wild speculation.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Can you quote exactly where in his interview he even comes close to saying any of this?  Yes, he has an idea for a space game - he admitted as much in the interview.  But where exactly does he state he wants to gut the physics?  And what proof do you have, other than saying "he didn't want dV" for the billionth time, that he would have made worse decisions than what has been happening/has happened/did happen with IG?

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

I disagree. @HarvesteR ideas were intended to develop a prequel - Flight before Space, and it makes sense.

So, nope, it would no be a KSP2 for sure.

Since I'm currently playing games heavily focused on biplanes, or at very least, atmospheric flight as a side kick for low orbit flight, I can see where he was intending to reach, and at least me would buy the idea. Heck, I still waiting for "The Barn".

and I absolutely loved the @Moach's Motor Wings, I'm still liquided with myself for not being able to jump on it at that time
- Kraken damned Real Life™ that became a Pandemonium©

Assuming he would had success with such prequel, the next installment would be probably Colonization and the next one, Interstellar faring.

You see, he had a Plan - he intended to create a "dynasty", not a mere money grabbing sequel.

As I said before, I would buy it.

However...

You are right too - to an extent. This would be a huge risk taking endeavour, with a reasonable risk of not being profitable as the original KSP¹ was.

I'm disagreeing more on how you are building your argument than with the argument itself.

The only real disagreement I'm having with you about this is that I think it would worth the shot nevertheless, even by not being so successful as KSP¹ - if not by other reason, as a way to create new technologies that could be applied on the sequel later - without utterly disrupting the original, as it was being done since then.

The lane used by Squad was, frankly, a terrible one for the franchise on the long run.

34 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Can you quote exactly where in his interview he even comes close to saying any of this?

He says it in the part of the interview where he talks about what he'd have done for a sequel.

35 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And what proof do you have, other than saying "he didn't want dV" for the billionth time, that he would have made worse decisions than what has been happening/has happened/did happen with IG?

The point of this discussion is that someone said HarvesteR (again, the person whose idea of a KSP successor is to take something he added to it, the SPH, and remove everything else that gave it appeal) would make a good job out of KSP 2 without a modicum of evidence that he wouldn't suck at it. The burden of evidence does not lie on me. 

33 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

He says it in the part of the interview where he talks about what he'd have done for a sequel.

The point of this discussion is that someone said HarvesteR (again, the person whose idea of a KSP successor is to take something he added to it, the SPH, and remove everything else that gave it appeal) would make a good job out of KSP 2 without a modicum of evidence that he wouldn't suck at it. The burden of evidence does not lie on me. 

And yet, you've given no evidence to support that he'd do a lousy job of it.  You keep saying "He'll gut the physics" and "he'll suck at it" and "he will do a bad job", all without presenting one shred of evidence that proves he will.  You even say yourself you are extrapolating upon things he's said, but you haven't given one direct quote to give credence or credibility to your argument.

The plain, simple truth is that KSP1 was his first game ever right out of the gate, and he admits he made mistakes.  Has he learned from them?  Only time will tell...although Kit Hack seems to be doing better at this stage than KSP1 was doing at the same point in development.  He has stated that he has ideas for a space game, but he hasn't given any indications as to what those ideas might be, nor if/when he would be working on it.  He also stated he pitched the idea for a KSP prequel involving planes.

So I'll ask very plainly, and simply:  Where are your quotes and proof of anything you are saying?  And please, don't give us the same "he didn't want a dV readout" again.  No, he didn't want one in the early days of KSP.  He got outvoted, they implemented it.  Move on.  Give some valid arguments, please.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And yet, you've given no evidence to support that he'd do a lousy job of it.

Well... They are. I'm not agreeing on how the argument is being developed, but they have a point.

First, you need to consider that what YOU consider a good job is not necessarily what they would.

For an example, I'm a (software) engineer, with an engineer mentality. I can see a very expensive craft hugging the ground and still see it as a success - depending on the mission parameters to be achieved.

Using a Real Life® example: as an (software) engineer, I consider the Apollo 13 the NASA's pinnacle of technical achievements in the whole Space Flight history.

"How", one would argue, "they not even landed on the Moon!".

Well... Nobody died neither. That Project was a failure, they didn't landed on the Moon. But it was a huge and magnificent success for the Program, literally, their finest hours. The Mission was a success - everything that could go wrong did and something more, and yet everybody came home alive. No widows crying in the New's front pages.

From a Project point of view, there's a good chance that @Bej Kerman can be right on their opinions. They're arguing about KSP2, the Project- not about the whole franchise and what it could be (what could be seen as a Program).

Edited by Lisias
Tyops are cosnpiring agaisnt me!!!

41 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And yet, you've given no evidence to support that he'd do a lousy job of it.  You keep saying "He'll gut the physics [space physics, Scarecrow71, I said space physics]" and "he'll suck at it" and "he will do a bad job", all without presenting one shred of evidence that proves he will.

You mean like him saying he wants to do Kerbal Space Program without space?

He's a solo dev who has only shown two games, one being a broken first attempt at a space sim whose popularity largely rests on a lack of accessible space simulators and the other being a rather considerable step backwards in ambition, and frankly saying he'd have done a good job with KSP 2 is nothing but blind faith.

41 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You mean like him saying he wants to do Kerbal Space Program without space?

He's a solo dev who has only shown two games, one being a broken first attempt at a space sim whose popularity largely rests on a lack of accessible space simulators and the other being a rather considerable step backwards in ambition, and frankly saying he'd have done a good job with KSP 2 is nothing but blind faith.

Oh, so you saying he'd do a lousy job of KSP2 without having any basis other than the mistakes he made in his first-ever game is ok?

And we need to clarify something:  I never - NEVER - said he'd do a good job of KSP2.  Go ahead and look through my posts; I never once said that.  I said it seems he has learned from his mistakes with Kit Hack, sure.  But did I say he'd have done a good job at KSP2?  No, I didn't.  Other people have, and I may think that he might do a better job than IG did.  But I didn't outright state he'd do a necessarily good job.  And to further clarify that:  Doing a better job than the one already done does not inherently mean it would be a good job.

And what he wanted to do was a prequel based on Kerbals and their learning to fly planes.  That isn't a space program.  And it's no different than any other franchise that did one game but then did a prequel to show how they got to that point.  Your argument holds no water as it has been done in games since...well...the invention of games.

57 minutes ago, Lisias said:

First, you need to consider that what YOU consider a good job is not necessarily what they would.

I'll direct you to what I told Bej:  I never once stated I think he'd do a good job of it.  If you're going to quote me, at least quote what I've said.

Got my lawnchair and popcorn ready to go! What are the teams here?

"Whats going on with the earnings call?" vs "Filipe sucks at making KSP"?

38 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Oh, so you saying he'd do a lousy job of KSP2 without having any basis other than the mistakes he made in his first-ever game is ok?

Oh, hey. If you ignore his past work, I suddenly don't have any basis for my argument. Funny how that works.

38 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And we need to clarify something:  I never - NEVER - said he'd do a good job of KSP2.  Go ahead and look through my posts; I never once said that.  I said it seems he has learned from his mistakes with Kit Hack, sure.  But did I say he'd have done a good job at KSP2?  No, I didn't.  Other people have, and I may think that he might do a better job than IG did.

A. That is a massive leap of faith

B. The person I was replying to in the first place said, and I quote:

20 hours ago, TLTay said:

They should have hired HarvesteR as their lead. Then this wouldn't have happened.

So if TLTay is saying this on the basis of "HarvesteR would have failed, just not as hard", well that's more believable but it's even more confusing of a take than suggesting someone who would have a clue what they're doing.

42 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And what he wanted to do was a prequel based on Kerbals and their learning to fly planes. 

Which is redundant because KSP already has planes and ridiculous because he'd be trying to sell "build little planes and fly them around" to an audience that was sold on "fly rockets around and learn the beautiful intricacy of orbital mechanics", but go on.