Actually excited about the future of KSP 2

Vl3d

Again, I know it's a very painful moment and I thank from the bottom of my heart the whole team for all the work they've done to bring KSP 2 from idea to reality. I deeply regret that a lot of good folks lost their jobs and I hope everyone will be able to use all the experience they've gained to find even better job opportunities.

I say that I am excited about the future of KSP 2 because this is a pivotal moment for the game. It's a hard reset.
But it's also a great opportunity - to carefully look at the good things that have been built, to accept that not everything went according to plan and change course while maintaining the creative vision.

KSP 2 is destined for greatness, but the road is hard and has not been paved. KSP 2 is the first victim of our interstellar ambitions. But that does not change the fact that it's a pioneer-project and a brave effort.
We got this far - so keep faith for the long journey ahead. The game is, in its current state, fun and stable. I'm sure development will continue with a smaller, more focused team - just like in the good ol' KSP 1 days.

Keep your hearts safe. Looking forward to the Colonies update!

Edited by Vl3d

18 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Just looked at the steamdb page... and last update was on 1 july.  So someone, somewhere is doing something.

Either an automated build system, or they're polishing it to put the 1.0 tag on it and say goodbye.

58 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Either an automated build system, or they're polishing it to put the 1.0 tag on it and say goodbye.

This is the most likely scenario.  Maybe updating a font or two, or possibly cleaning up a graphic or three.  And that's at most.  I think you're right on that they are doing something to slap the 1.0 tag on it and then walk away as if they just dumped the trash bag in the bin.

Well I can't say I'm exactly excited, but I'm not in total despair mode yet either.  Until they actually call what we have now  (or some trivial final update thereto) 1.0, I will continue to hold out hope that development will be resumed at some point by a new and/or smaller group, be it under the TT umbrella or not. That's because I think a KSP2 implemented according to the stated roadmap still has real sales potential, and therefore won't just be set aside forever. Either it will be taken up by TT again on some less rainy day for their balance sheet, or it will be sold off to some other publisher to recoup as much of the associated operating loss as possible. Do I expect any of that to happen anytime soon? Not really, but I do expect to live to see it.

Edited by herbal space program

It's dead. Private Division was Take2's attempt at publishing "indie" games, trying to capture the Minecraft or Stardew Valley magic. Instead PD made a bunch of mistakes, and got some visually pretty games with lousy gameplay. KSP2 was one of those mistakes. Now Take2 is getting rid of PD and shutting down everything that was in development to cut their losses.

Publishers will sit on dead IP for years and years, in many cases just out of spite; "If we can't succeed with it, then no one else will".

55 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

Publishers will sit on dead IP for years and years, in many cases just out of spite; "If we can't succeed with it, then no one else will".

There are many disadvantages to having products like this managed by soulless, bean-counting bureaucrats, but if there are any advantages, one of them is that "spite" will not figure into their calculations.  Besides, it's a pretty well-established fact that they were trying to sell the IP already.

19 hours ago, rebel-1 said:

I am ready to thank the developers of Battletech

Creeping up on KSP1 "total playtime" levels in Roguetech now, lol. 

I might consider being grateful to whoever fixes KSP2 (despite being 100% certain that it's not going to happen in the first place), but certainly not to the former developers. 

KSP2 is dead and buried. I'm saying this in the kindest and bluntest way i can, but don't expect colonies or interstellar gameplay to come to this wreck unless a miracle happens. If you want colonies, play KSP 1 with mods. It's cheaper and more stable.

23 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Again, I know it's a very painful moment and I thank from the bottom of my heart the whole team for all the work they've done to bring KSP 2 from idea to reality. I deeply regret that a lot of good folks lost their jobs and I hope everyone will be able to use all the experience they've gained to find even better job opportunities.

I say that I am excited about the future of KSP 2 because this is a pivotal moment for the game. It's a hard reset.
But it's also a great opportunity - to carefully look at the good things that have been built, to accept that not everything went according to plan and change course while maintaining the creative vision.

KSP 2 is destined for greatness, but the road is hard and has not been paved. KSP 2 is the first victim of our interstellar ambitions. But that does not change the fact that it's a pioneer-project and a brave effort.
We got this far - so keep faith for the long journey ahead. The game is, in its current state, fun and stable. I'm sure development will continue with a smaller, more focused team - just like in the good ol' KSP 1 days.

Keep your hearts safe. Looking forward to the Colonies update!

"Trust me guys colonies is coming out, it's not like the game was already doomed from the start due to poor management, financial issues, deadlines and then ultimately had its dev team laid off due to a less than stellar early access launch and thus not a good ROI but trust me guys colonies is coming soon because they said it will guys. It's fun and stable guys, it's not like it has less features than KSP1 had and thus makes it objectively inferior, guys trust me colonies is coming out."

Blind optimism is an interesting thing. "A flood killed my family, wrecked my house, took away everything I had. This hard reset is a great opportunity because my family size and finances can only grow in the future!" (and no, I am not equating KSP2's status to a true disaster, just using hyperbole to show that dark clouds don't have a silver lining)

IMO the best possibility is for KSP2 to fade away. The programming was micromanaged and mismanaged. The result repeated many of the same bugs present in KSP1. Piling more functionality for interstellar, colonies, and multiplayer on top is unlikely to turn out well.

I hope someone starts a KSP-like game from scratch. Take2 has already failed with two studios so I'd rather they not be involved.

3 hours ago, Ashiepoppy said:

"Trust me guys colonies is coming out, it's not like the game was already doomed from the start due to poor management, financial issues, deadlines and then ultimately had its dev team laid off due to a less than stellar early access launch and thus not a good ROI but trust me guys colonies is coming soon because they said it will guys. It's fun and stable guys, it's not like it has less features than KSP1 had and thus makes it objectively inferior, guys trust me colonies is coming out."

Where is the  sarcasm font when you need it? :)

All of them are probably under NDA, so we won’t hear about it for quite a while, if we do hear anything at all.

<...>

To put it into perspective, Rockstar which is also owned by T2, has even stricter NDA agreements than those that actors at Marvel get. We can assume that PD have similar guidelines in their contracts and therefore we'll not get a statement from any past employee.

The more I read about their NDAs in the movie and game industry, the more I feel that I read about a secret Soviet project from 1940s, with its secrecy, spies behind every tree, and probably some Holy Wood GULAG camps on Alaska with prisoner development bureaus for those who had made a wrong step.

The best:

It works in KSP, why shouldn't irl.

Be afraid of your desires! What if he goes to work for Boeing or decides to become a surgeon?!

3h ago Edited 3h ago

I’m really not sure how much worse Boeing can get. Maybe he can convince them of the merits of wobbly rockets. I mean, it’s not like they don’t already have aircraft built from pieces found lying next to the highway, or, idk, built a spacecraft out of flammable tape and Swiss cheese for helium valves. Or forgot to check their staging on the first test flight of said spacecraft. NASA, for the first time, is publicly considering sending a rescue mission to get two Kerbals…I mean astronauts rescued from orbit. How much worse could it possibly get?

Edited by kerbiloid