What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I had a few launches, yet unfortunately I forgot to take screenshots. Anyway, these are the significant events: 

Launch of Mun and Minmus polar resource orbiters, which both carry scansat sensors.

Launch of Gudrun and a tourist on a quick mission.

Launch of the Duna-1 (Orbiter) and Duna-2 (Lander) Missions and their escape burns.

Next we are expecting Eve-1 and Station I to launch.

I am sorry I didn't have screenshots, I promise to have at least a few next time. I do have a screenshot of the new and quite reliable Scimitar I rocket. Except for the prototypes, performance has been flawless (except for orbital insertion on Duna-1, one of the poodles failed but luckily we had loads of excess DV.

mGs6UmR.pngVMzOIgL.png

I am inordinately proud of meself today.  This little MK1 should not have been able to do what it did, but it made it anyway. 

XmqNaxk.jpg

First I picked up a contract to plant a flag on Dres.  Mistake number 1

Since I was messing around with this little MK1 I decided to use it.  Mistake number 2.

The plan was to take off from KSC, go to Ike, refuel, then do Dres and return to Ike.  OK.

Took off from Ike and did my usual burn out to solar orbit, then in an attempt to learn how to do this gravity assist thingy I then did it again but aimed at Duna.  When it got to solar orbit it had indeed used less fuel.  There might be something to this!  Not a mistake.

Went to Dres, planted a flag and returned to Ike.  Here luck played a large part as I got an Ike encounter really early and that saved some fuel.  Not a mistake, but dumb luck.

Landed and still had 451 m/s of fuel left! 

Today, I've continued building those "big-enough" stations and statio-ports : )

I almost finished the statio-port, first time I tried, well it spawned on the runway without exploding, which had me wondering if the Kraken wasn't on vacations or something... :D Did you see him lately ?
It's inspired by Port Olisar station from Star Citizen :) 

PHH05PA.png

That will be put in orbit around Earth, thanks to the best Launch Vehicle ever : the venerable Cheat-Menu mark F-12. : P
I also started to build the "space-city" and docking hub, for the Kantive IV spaceship. Now with this, it starts giving a real  sense of the scale haha

zivcRgx.png

xDHywAy.png

It's ~ 2,000,000 t, and 500 parts, which isn't so bad, but I started the process of part welding to save on performances even more : )
vb70iup.png

Then, I started to build the refuelling depot, which will sit in the orbit of Jupiter.

And it might recall you of something...

Spoiler

Jool station in the KSP 2 Cinematic announce trailer : )

VVAvpFx.png

Can't see it very well here, but this is a poor attempt at recreating the 2 kerbals that wave some red flares to help the spaceship maneuver around.. :D 

9p1ho3R.png

TyEQ6iH.png

Cheers !

Edited by kurgut

@kurgut Those stations look great!

Today I recreated a spacecraft from my old mission report, When We Left Kerbin. First, here's the original:

GLmt8QS.png

This ship, Atlantis (DSEV-05), was built in KSP 1.1.1 and for stock scale, so I made some small updates to reflect the latest KSP 1 and all the mods that I use. Surpisingly, I didn't need to update the delta-v since it was more than enough even in JNSQ (the original save was in stock scale).

Here's the updated Atlantis leaving Kerbin orbit:

Uu7mCcX.jpg

yqZoG2N.jpg

She's nearly the same as the original, but I changed out the old DSEV fuel tanks for nicer ones from Restock, and added extra radiators for the nuclear saltwater engines. Then, I added four smaller tanks holding rocket parts for construction work at its destination. I also replaced the kermanned payload maneuvering vehicles with automated ones since I don't have some of the custom parts that I made during that save. I also replaced the conic landers with similar designs from my current save. Finally, I swapped out the small hab module aft of the centrifuge with a 3D printing lab.

Anyway, nearly 3 years later, Atlantis is nearing her destination:

jNj1tSf.jpg

And at last, her braking burn in low Laythe orbit to circularize:

Voo5Z1e.jpg

Atlantis is in orbit now... but in which save...?

I FINALLY COMPLETED THE JOOL-5 CHALLENGE
All those years I spent living with the shame of having logged so many hours in the game yet never having completed the Jool-5 Challenge are finally over. I'm free!

18ea5Zo.jpg

Yay!

Edited by problemecium
updated links

After a year+ of A break, I stared new career. And of course I had to start building a space fleet yet again...

As nice looking starships are expensive I whipped up a passenger cruiser to bounce from LKO to Mun and Minmus to drain cash from civilian sector for my orbital endeavours.

VW2ocHH.png

After accidentally making a cool looking lava moon initially before making it a hyper-acidic moon.
CZvFNwb.png

I then thought about making Creui's atmosphere half as tall at 90km instead of 181km for a few reasons. (main reason is that it kinda looks a little odd rn with the very high clouds after the "omg i made my first scatterer planet!" feeling wore off)

I downloaded FAR and tested some shuttles
The one I used mainly was a bit faster, but went into an uncontrollable spin
U3u3rkO.png

So I then added some stuff to stabilize it. It flew... slightly faster than the original.
BR7Hxlm.png

I then found the wave drag part of FAR, and decided to try making a craft with the lowest wave drag as I could. And now, here is the big shuttle! about 1.25m at its widest, and has a wave drag area of just 0.11m^2 compared to the previous shuttle's 0.3m^2. It looks like a waverider,  but does not act like one. It has two juno engines, can fly at mach 1.3.
This shuttle can carry 9 kerbals compared to the 2 the previous could.
eRXtyYF.png

the cruise characteristics, twice as fast. On landing, it is too aerodynamic, so I tried adding a parachute, but they refused to deploy, even if i was flying a few meters above the ground with blue icon. So I added airbrakes. 
gMLX9yX.png
The biggest downside of this shuttle? When its fully loaded, its stall speed is 135m/s, which can be an issue..

I then did an orbital test flight!
H6ZNYvn.png

In orbit with extra fuel! i didnt bring the kerbals this time.
EZYeVTE.png

It was here I realized. a kerbal design flaw. Due to wave drag optimization, the solar panel ended up behind the engines, resulting in this situation.
CxWwSMK.png

Turns out, with FAR, you now have to pay attention to the angle. Reentering at slightly too high of an angle results in it hitting the thicker part of the atmosphere too fast and blowing up. Also turns out the atmo curve was broken where the pressure spiked to 3atm just below the ksc resulting in a wall of drag. so i fixed that too.
Did a successful landing. the airbrakes helped a lot, as well as the much lower stall speed of about 100m/s
cXsQL33.png

I then proceeded to make an enormous nuclear saltwater engine called the "Crucible"
57RMrGV.png

A kerbal inspecting the giant engine
pxQNxrR.png

It is extremely powerful and efficient at 259,000kN and 137,900s. (its a new part so it currently just uses liquidfuel)
However, at its non-tweakscaled size, the engine is 15m wide, 58m long, and weighs about 4900t. It is meant to be built in orbit on enormous ships.

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

On 1/30/2024 at 4:43 PM, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

I then proceeded to make an enormous nuclear saltwater engine called the "Crucible"

We love it ! The name and the looks ! :) 

Today, I tested for the first time KSP Capture Tools mod, which allows to record videos from "inside KSP", is that the recording of each new frame can be synchronised with whenever KSP actually has a new frame to display. The result is a "lag" free recording. And yes this is a divine work. The end of me manually editing freezes in clips for hours :D 
I has also a lot a neat features on top of that.
This is an example, I had like 15 fps ingame with this huge station which has 500+ parts, the result is smooth as it can get. Funny thing, we are so used to have the game run slower than the actual time (add it the typical intermittent frame freezes), that the footage appears to be sped up, whereas it's absolutly not !
( Oh Hi @MythicalHeFF, I'm the one who commented on your video about KSP capture tools, here's an actual example ! :)  )

I then proceeded to make a very un-useful part : a Kalendar. Featuring switchable years from 2070 to 2100. Calendar texture courtesy of google agenda haha
u1Yh5kE.jpg

Moving pictures :
https://streamable.com/vhq0pa

And finally, I started making  a MAS IVA for the Endurance Ranger part.
Also notice how Tars has become "Scott" haha. Not my shenaniganry, but the internal's author one :D
d6z5hj2.png

5MNE8Bt.png

Cheers !

Edited by kurgut

On 1/28/2024 at 2:08 PM, kurgut said:

which had me wondering if the Kraken wasn't on vacations or something... :D Did you see him lately ?

Sure did... guess I was the diversion you needed? 

Here's the video. Why do we keep playing this game? 

I haven't been able to play KSP for several days now, but I did do a lot with my Legos! I built two microscale Rangers from a YouTube video, and I'm working on my own midi-scale Lander. (Both from Interstellar) It's come along great, I'm really happy with how the shape has turned out, but the rear engines have got me stumped. I also happened to see this Lego Ideas Ranger that's really close to the required 10k supporters mark. 

And I watched a ton of videos about the KSP Endurance mod.

Didn't do a lot this week as I was busy. yesterday I finally had a chance to play but then KSP crashed. I did manage to launch a new station in my JNSQ career, Station I. It has space for two crew and will be an important outpost for the next series of explorers. The launch occurred during a CME event, so the orbit is 90x110 rather than a more circular orbit, however the station has its own engine and part of its scientific mission will be to explore different possible altitudes for a new station.

https://i.imgur.com/R5ZIgma.jpeg

I discovered why playing old versions can be a bad idea... bro WHAT

SV2mJtX.jpeg

More seriously, I'm working on a new mission that uses the New Horizons planet pack, which, as far as I know, only works up to KSP 1.3. I'm not a huge fan of 1.3 due to the constant stuttering that my game would seem to experience while playing it, and, as such, I'm using 1.2.2, which sort of held a special place in my heart as 1.2 is the first major update to come out after I started playing; I remember being so intrigued by the UI improvements, the addition of CommNet, and, of course, the faster loading times.

Well, it's not quite as good as I remembered it, that's for sure.

In this mod, I'm trying to get to Ernus and back, which, as far as I know, has only been done once before, in this video from 2015. Which definitely won't be easy, as Ernus is located just 1 million km from Kerbal (almost 5 times closer than Moho in stock KSP), and has temperatures reaching over 1,000°C. I remember sending a probe there back in 2017, and just doing so took something like 10 km/s of delta-V to reach its orbit, even with several gravity assists from Moh (the next planet out).

KMXFHpZ.jpeg

And, of course, me being me, I want to send a rover as well, the Cerberus, shown here in a HyperEdit test.

puL4FDi.jpeg

Driving here is going to be almost impossible in some areas- this endless ridge terrain straddles the entire terminator line

b146kSJ.jpeg

Now, obviously, we need a pretty powerful lander, as Ernus has 1.65G of gravity and a 400 km radius, resulting in you needing about 3 km/s to land, and 3 more to return to orbit. For this, I have developed the Sisyphus lander, which is chock-full of radiators to keep the science parts from overheating. I might actually have to land on the night side in order for this mission to be possible- in testing, on the day side, kerbals would die the second they went EVA.

Oh yeah, and I also still have DLC parts, as it turns out they still work even with versions from before they came out.

xRXkQk0.jpeg

In order to get this 96-ton lander to its destination, though, we need a powerful transfer vehicle, the Icarus, which I plan to use to get to Moho for refueling (Moho in this mod orbits the aforementioned Moh, a Hot-Jupiter type planet and the second from Kerbol). After leaving Moho, it'll take the lander and crew to Ernus, and, after the surface mission is complete, the center core will detach and take the crew back to Kerbin. On one nuclear engine. Yay 0.03 TWR.

2IsqNtb.jpeg

And, finally, the Moho mining module, which will have to make something like ten Moho landings to refuel the Icarus. Fun. I'm getting reminded of @king of nowhere's refueling process in his Whirligig World mission with this one.

tZFEXnN.jpeg

SPACE NEWS GAZETTE

Today, just over 6 years since inception of my Orbit world (January, 2018), the first kerbal boots landed this day on the surface of Eve.  [click + arrows => slide show]

o2RTJMd.jpg    6oM81Wh.jpg    MFSAqaR.jpg    1hi9uZc.jpg

I have been refueling/recycling spent Zephyr boosters from LKO to LEO for some years and they provide a low-tech method to deorbit almost any 2.5m payload (with chutes).  In this case, a Milkrun occupied by the valiant Cergel Kerman.

In the third shot, Cergel had baled out for a stretch and a soothing back massage (occasionally looking over his shoulder to see how close Eve was approaching!), and then para-sailed to the wreck of the Zephyr (4th shot).  (Still containing fuel!)  The landed Millkrun can be seen poking up over the rise in the background; a short return stroll.

Edited by Hotel26

[ARA] Y2, D17 - The Regulus 1-2 Agriculture Module docks (and with construction ports, permanently connects) to the Core/Science Module, providing food-growing and battery storage capabilities

rKv1zy9.jpeg

Y2, D18 - The Regulus 1-3 Habitation Module extends the living space of the station

nRA1fNg.jpeg

Y2, D23 - The Telescopium 1 space telescope is launched to make observations at the Mun and Minmus before heading into interplanetary space

hy7c3wd.jpeg

Y2, D31 - The Leo 6 satellite (launched on Day 25) docks to Regulus 1 station to process its gravitational data gathered from a polar orbit

HJiPXzr.jpeg

Edited by Pipcard

Kerbin Resource Orbiter 3 launches. This will scan the surface, along with high and low res resource surveys.

The launch is on a new rocket, the Sandcastle I. This rocket is a medium launch vehicle, designed to loft small payloads of around 2 tonnes to LKO. The first stage is a single SRB nd the upper stage carries two terriers. The performance is quite good. Once I eventually unlock the best tech,  I will replace most of my rocket designs with upgraded version.

7xPUd5Y.png

After orbital insertion into a nominal 107x103 orbit, the spacecraft can deploy solar arrays, antennae and orbital scanners.

p6dCW2G.png

Sirius 4 launches and sends Maria Ramez and Sufen kerman to Station I. Unfortunately, the station has no control wheels, so docking is quite stressful.

nhEIFCg.png

After harvesting kerputation and kash with Albion I cobbled together a modest science cruiser, added too much science cargo, added boosters, filled remaining docking ports with more landers and drones, so needed a quick and dirty tanker/booster...

h1Mvl38.png

And then slowly seeded satellites on the way to Mun

Spoiler

e5s4qK7.png

QK0IewI.png

Sherfal played with wild rocks

Spoiler

JvVrSkf.png

4Hn4VVO.png

...and yelled something about "letting it rip"

HbtOha5.png

... and then Jeb executed obligatory docking-in-darkness manoeuvre

NluatOW.png

And then Luna shed its tail while Jeb made fun of scientists for calculating transfer to Minmus instead of just doing full burn at second start to the right...

aAO4VPr.png

While previously detached satellites began magnetic field survey

AWbplGP.png

After some time Minmus got encircled for the first time, and pair of crappy drones got dropped to test structural integrity of surface

Spoiler

u6aYNxZ.png

Q4dgdzI.png

Followed by obligatory taste test of new rocks. Apparently they taste like frostbite.

qRdVkMH.png

And on suboptimal return trajectory last satellite was ejected into solar orbit

aHzqTgJ.png

With station-science modules not yet finished with experiments cargo had to be rebalanced a bit, then Jeb took Bill and Sherfal down to surface in drop pod to satisfy some annoying contract requirements.

Spoiler

Caryall-style curved spine helps with rebalance.

nN9QgyX.png

Last view of Mun for this mission

QmqVcQx.png

After quick tastetest Sherfal concludes that sand tastes varies greatly from Minmus rocks.

R2KDxEC.png

Continuing from last time...

Some corpo really wanted a useless space station above Kerbin, so they ended up financing part of Watchtower II refuelling depot. We do not talk about Watchtower I.

Albion arrived on fumes, puffing monoprop to match vectors, while Luna puffed LOX due to unexpected monoprop shortages...

EvNGwal.png

Based around triple core of https://spacedock.info/mod/364/Davon Supply Mod, it will serve to simplify boring parts of space fleet supply chain.  Refuelling process highlighted lack of docking port pumps in my modset...

Once both cruisers were neatly tucked in and pumped full of explosive goodies, empty drop pod arrived to take current passengers down dirtside. Next pod will be sent full, and wait at Watchtower for return trip, launching Albion full saved a bit of kash but made managing contracts annoying.

Tourist bus looks like something made from medical silicon would, and lacks proper deorbit engines so RCS took half of hour to do it... at least it was compact enough to not invoke kraken an physics warp.

V5t1nXo.png

Bill took a free seat on Albion and organized an adhoc show on servicing a satellite.

XhouW0p.png

Turns out nothing was broken, so it took some convincing for contractee to pay out.

And after few weeks hoffmaning between moons everyone was back together.

QKDxSpk.png

Albion got so famous that kerbs want to visit it for bragging rights, however civilians have some trouble booking tickets for docked ships...

4JaX9ke.png

Not very eventful day, but important milestone non the less.

Edited by PT