What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 hours ago, MrLake said:

I was going to just go "haha" at this adventure and then expunge it from memory until I realized that because my past playstyles never called for one, this might be my first functioning SSTO.

'If at first you don't succeed, you might want to reconsider being an astronaut' - not applicable to KSP.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

It's a new Space Anomaly for Blueshift that comes with Kerbal Flying Saucers.

I am crying because I shall never make anything this beautiful. Just the internal work is mind boggleing.

Built a space station for the Mun with all the mod-cons: life support for years, long-duration crew experiments, oodles of solar power with loads of batteries and a pair of backup fuel cells to get through the dark periods, several docking ports for visiting crews to use and tasteful lighting to show where the doors and docking ports are, and to illuminate the station so it can be spotted when rendezvousing in the dark. As is right and proper.

Propulsion system to get it to the Mun deployed separately due to mass limits, supplies and fuel sent separately as well for the same reason. No crew yet, the station itself is parked in LKO for now to await its crew and then head over to the Mun.

I am still trying to find the best Visual Combo: WORK IN PROGRESS

Custom configs:

Addons with Special Honor Mentions:

DavonTCsystemsMod, CivilianPopulation and ShowFPS (from @linuxgurugamer) to do the initial VSTOL stunt maneuver

TweakScale and KSP Recall (from @Lisias)

OPT (from @JadeOfMaar)

KSPI+InterstellarFuelSwitch (from: @FreeThinker)

Kopernicus BE special release: (KopernicusBE_19+_Release81.zip ) (from: @R-T-B)

RSS+EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements+EVO with ultra settings: https://github.com/Its-Just-Luci/EVO/releases/download/Alpha-v0.2a/EVO-64k.Alpha.v0.2.zip

TUFX,and many others...

FINAL NOTES:

All of this will be installed by one script only, I will add more details later...

Edited by pmborg

Threw a couple of probes at Dres and Minmus to get some long-term science and improve communications. I need about 50 more to unlock some additional deployed science equipment which will then justify going out to Dres and Minmus again to deploy said equipment, and also fix up the deployed mystery goo machines which have scraped up a whopping 2% data over the last 110 or so Kerbin days; a good scientist could boost the miserable 5% science generation rate to 45% or more and there are contracts riding on getting at least 50% of that data back, preferably sooner than 7 years’ time…

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Yes, I am still here. :ph34r:

After too many run-ins with the Kraken, I have spent these many months inventing a new method of Kerbal propulsion!

The Fahrten Drive.

Reveal hidden contents

AGG9xJ2.gif

It's German. -_-

I keep warning people about the KSC canteen’s five-bean chilli surprise, but they never listen… 

Spoiler

Don’t make a “Crack-en” drive joke, don’t make a- oops…

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

Today, after several days of effort, I have finally finished designing my Fortitude class Mk3 spaceplane, capable of going to Minmus and back. I plan to build a separate class rated for surface landings, as the TWR of the Fortitude is too low to attempt a landing. Not all of the kinks have been worked out, as it has a nasty habit of losing the four nuclear engines due to aerodynamic forces, sometimes taking the rudder with it.

65lixBy.jpg

i803ttt.png

(I don't know why the intakes are blue like that)

However, designing the space plane was difficult, and it went through a lot of design revisions before completion. The spaceplane had a habit of stalling, and subsequently disintegrating, requiring the use of all those struts, here are a few shots from that:

G8W3dYU.png

First trial: utter disintegration while launching.

3iBpsmk.png

Trial 2: Attempting to take off - doing a wheelie blew the tail, causing the plane to crash after takeoff. Thankfully for the nonexistent crew, the cockpit survived.

3DeTNZH.png

Trial three: Crashing into the ground after failing to take off.

ob3hw1H.png

Trial Four: While successfully reaching orbit, it stalled upon reentry and was subsequently destroyed.

aZgky3J.png

"Did we lose something?"
"Nah, I'm sure it's nothing."
Half the continent was irradiated.

qbjNabp.png

Crashing into the ground after a failed landing, the plane didn't have enough pitch power.

0Tz2ji1.png

Overshot the KSC and crashed into the water. Again, the cockpit survived.

sLXF7Wd.png

g11AvcV.png

TmsQfgG.png

Botched landing: the plane didn't have enough pitch power, causing it to hit the runway way too hard which destroyed the wing. The plane then veered off the runway and smashed again directly into the launchpad. (It was a total coincidence, please believe me)

6FNna0X.png

Plane successfully landed, but lost two airbrakes, the rudder, and the four nuclear engines. Due to a sloppy landing on my part and the lack of yaw control, the plane rolled off the runway, but survived relatively intact.

UMnYHum.png

The plane landed successfully and mostly intact, but again the nuclear engines were torn off.

There were many more failed attempts that simply stalled rather than even reaching the runway, so that's it for the fail montage.

tried to land on the mun

[insert image that failed to load in here]

flip my image didn't load in but imagine starship sn9 but on the mun luckily i had a quicksave and successfully landed on second time 

Edited by Kraken that doesn't exist

I created orbit spaghetti by launching several modules for my Duna base.

Spoiler

20210823162402_1.jpg
My previous mission to Duna finally returns home, which means a transfer window is coming up soon.

20210823170145_1.jpg
Launch 1: New SCANsats. I need higher resolution data on Duna.

20210823193357_1.jpg
Launch 2: Crew to land on Duna and Ike then return. Separate from base mission.

20210823195132_1.jpg
Launch 3: Rover to find an optimal landing spot.

20210826164018_1.jpg
Launch 4: Core of the crewed base part, contains hab area and a reactor to generate power. I'm keeping most of the modules in fairings to keep them safe from Duna's atmosphere.

20210826164610_1.jpg
Launch 5: Greenhouse and workshop for the central module.

20210826165823_1.jpg
Launch 6: ISRU module.

20210826174420_1.jpg
Launch 7: Water and Ore drills. These were very wobbly on ascent.

20210826175610_1.jpg
Launch 8: EL Launchpad. This was very wobbly too, but all the wobble disappeared once the first stage was detached.

20210826180927_1.jpg
The final orbit spaghetti, with a very crowded KAC window too.

20210826180931_1.jpg
Turning on CommNet makes it even worse.

3 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Any landing you can walk away from...

Strangely, the contract system classified this as a safe landing. Achievement unlocked!

x5qBNka.png

Jeb has the weight of the world on his head.

My OPM grand tour reached Sarnus, with its breathtaking ring system. Arrowhead spaceplane took a dip inside Sarnus atmosphere, getting some great images of the rings.

I took some 60 screenshots of that. It's hard to pick just a handful to show here

P3DydcC.png

zooming on the inner moons Eeloo, Ovok, and Hale (the smallest and innermost, in the gap between the rings, you'll likely mistake it for a speck of dust on the monitor)

MgcuFK0.png

4deaY4K.png

da6zky1.png

BZLbiAD.png

Arrowhead also visited Tekto, the outermost moon. With low gravity and a thick atmosphere, it is the perfect place to aerobrake. It would also be a perfect place to fly a propeller plane, unfortunately a bug prevented the propellers from working - no, the plane is not broken, it still works perfectly in every other atmosphere. It also works on Tekto, for a few seconds, then the propellers keep spinning but abruptly stop producing any thrust. I had a similar bug with a rover on the moons of Neidon, where the wheels were spinning but the rover wasn't moving. I had to compensate by cheating unlimited fuel to fly around the place. Anyway, most of Tekto is featurless, but it has some good stuff near the north pole

3ISt7nQ.png

this system of deep fissures is extensive, and the deepest among those can easily rival with the dres canyon in size. But they are much better than the dres canyon, because 1) they have a better color, 2) you can fly inside with an airplane; or at least you could, if there wasn't an aerodinamic bug

8uRbo3w.png

And then there is this impressive tower at the exact geographic north pole

dZaxux0.png

5o18xp3.png

d6zbLka.png

Massive, ominous tower, surrounded by spikes. I'm calling it Barad-Dur

I still have to visit the other moons

Edited by king of nowhere

7 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

Botched landing: the plane didn't have enough pitch power,

Maybe you tried this but... looking at the pic when it's about to touch down... you have canards lifting and elevons pushing down. Elevons going up produce downward (negative) lift. I think this is why it's stalling. Sure, they help pitch the nose up, but increasing the AOA of the wing doesn't give much lift because the elevons are pushing down. It does produce a lot of drag though - bad combination at low speed. So I would disable the elevons at the root of the wing and just make the control surfaces at the wing tips ailerons. You may need bigger canards though - maybe try biplane canards. Then the CoM may need to move forward for stability. But I think it would fly better at low speed that way.  What part are you using for the canards? I don't recognize them.

Edited by Krazy1
first sentence totally wrong

10 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

(I don't know why the intakes are blue like that)

Restock DepthMask. It's a mod feature that makes things that would normally show when clipped through the intake to stop showing. Various other stock parts have it.

First trial: utter disintegration while launching.

That's the very normal effect of a plane taking on huge dynamic pressure when pitching up in low and thick atmo. I'm guessing you're pitching up while faster than Mach 1 and under 5km altitude. While weak joint strength is a big deal, you can still reduce your need to spam strusts by finding the ideal ascent angle for your plane and letting it cruise at that angle.

However, designing the space plane was difficult, and it went through a lot of design revisions before completion. The spaceplane had a habit of stalling, and subsequently disintegrating, requiring the use of all those struts, here are a few shots from that:

The other very normal problem (might be there, too) of having the engine mass (and empty tank dry mass) too far back and too much forward control surface.

3 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

What part are you using for the canards? I don't recognize them.

The odd wings and canards are B9 Procedural Wings.

There were many more failed attempts that simply stalled rather than even reaching the runway, so that's it for the fail montage.

Poor lift|mass ratio makes for a high stall speed and more likelihood of stalling during reentry. This basically means you don't have enough wing. You may also be very draggy and so would get hit pretty hard in the fuel economy by low altitude drag and the transonic drag spike. Both of these can affect you concurrently.

9 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Maybe you tried this but... looking at the pic when it's about to touch down... you have canards lifting and elevons pushing down. Elevons going up produce downward (negative) lift. I think this is why it's stalling. Sure, they help pitch the nose up, but increasing the AOA of the wing doesn't give much lift because the elevons are pushing down. It does produce a lot of drag though - bad combination at low speed. So I would disable the elevons at the root of the wing and just make the control surfaces at the wing tips ailerons. You may need bigger canards though - maybe try biplane canards. Then the CoM may need to move forward for stability. But I think it would fly better at low speed that way.  What part are you using for the canards? I don't recognize them.

The canards are from the procedural wings mods.

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Restock DepthMask. It's a mod feature that makes things that would normally show when clipped through the intake to stop showing. Various other stock parts have it.

That's the very normal effect of a plane taking on huge dynamic pressure when pitching up in low and thick atmo. I'm guessing you're pitching up while faster than Mach 1 and under 5km altitude. While weak joint strength is a big deal, you can still reduce your need to spam strusts by finding the ideal ascent angle for your plane and letting it cruise at that angle.

The other very normal problem (might be there, too) of having the engine mass (and empty tank dry mass) too far back and too much forward control surface.

The odd wings and canards are B9 Procedural Wings.

Poor lift|mass ratio makes for a high stall speed and more likelihood of stalling during reentry. This basically means you don't have enough wing. You may also be very draggy and so would get hit pretty hard in the fuel economy by low altitude drag and the transonic drag spike. Both of these can affect you concurrently.

Thank you for all the advice.