Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Is there any way we could bring back the old color palate? This most recent update has changed the colors! Yes, I know there's the "more colors" option at the bottom, but the older one was much more convenient... :huh:

I promise that's my only gripe of the day! :wink:

17 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It appears that at least two moderators ( @Red Iron Crown, @Frybert ) have changed their avatars to what I'm pretty sure is (one of?) @sal_vager's old avatars. That salute to him is a nice touch!

A lot of them have done that :)

@Vanamonde @technicalfool @Deddly sorta did it, @Snark, etc, I think it's safe to say we're seeing a @sal_vager tribute from all of our mods.

1 hour ago, Rath said:

May I ask who decided my crappy airliner challenge should be TOTM?  I want to thank you and then ask how inebriated were you when you made that decision.

sal_vager decided those after taking submissions from the mods and users. Congrats!

3 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

A lot of them have done that :)

@Vanamonde @technicalfool @Deddly sorta did it, @Snark, etc, I think it's safe to say we're seeing a @sal_vager tribute from all of our mods.

You'd be right. Sal has been the heart of the moderation team for as long as I've been a part of it (and likely long before that, too), there's not really a tribute large enough that we can give him.

Sal promoted me so several of us could split his former duties for the moment. We don't plan to take on any normal moderators right away, anyhow, since there's still the issue of the other language moderators to be dealt with. 

3 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Sal promoted me so several of us could split his former duties for the moment. We don't plan to take on any normal moderators right away, anyhow, since there's still the issue of the other language moderators to be dealt with. 

Well you know where I stand on the subject so all I can do is wish you good luck in the transition. 

Edited by ZooNamedGames

I understand there are rules about necro-posting. (Please note I said I understand them, I do not agree with them. In my opinion the wrong side of the equation is being enforced.)

The small "This thread is quite old" notification is an improvement but it does not nearly suffice. People do NOT see or read it. And if they do, they clearly do not care. WHY is there still no big bold pop-up slamming the necro-poster in the face reminding him of the fact he is about to raise the dead? A big fat notification that must be acknowledged before the post can actually be made. And don't say it's not possible because it is. A system like this is already being used for moderator warnings.

Just now, Tex_NL said:

I understand there are rules about necro-posting. (Please note I said I understand them, I do not agree with them. In my opinion the wrong side of the equation is being enforced.)

The small "This thread is quite old" notification is an improvement but it does not nearly suffice. People do NOT see or read it. And if they do, they clearly do not care. WHY is there still no big bold pop-up slamming the necro-poster in the face reminding him of the fact he is about to raise the dead? A big fat notification that must be acknowledged before the post can actually be made. And don't say it's not possible because it is. A system like this is already being used for moderator warnings.

I ignored that on a thread of mine dedicated to graphics. I do not get requests to do graphics much anymore, but when I do, I do not want them scattered all over the forum. Really, I think it ought to depend on what the nature of the thread is, to be honest. A depreciated thread whose creator is no longer active on the forum probably would benefit from such a system as described by @Tex_NL...

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I ignored that on a thread of mine dedicated to graphics. I do not get requests to do graphics much anymore, but when I do, I do not want them scattered all over the forum. Really, I think it ought to depend on what the nature of the thread is, to be honest. A depreciated thread whose creator is no longer active on the forum probably would benefit from such a system as described by @Tex_NL...

Exactly. I don't mind threads being re-opened for a good reason. But not to answer a three year old random question that has been answered five times already in the first six replies. Most of the time the 'new' answer is wrong any way.

Edited by Tex_NL

9 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

WHY is there still no big bold pop-up slamming the necro-poster in the face reminding him of the fact he is about to raise the dead?

Because posting on an old thread is not an inherently bad thing to do, and definitely not slam-in-the-face-worthy.

@Tex_NL: I understand that. I even think we've had this conversation before... or at least it seems vaguely familiar. Anyhow, you're right. Now I am not a rocket scientist or a physicist, but I do know which end of the rocket goes up... :) One of the things that bothers me is the change occurring in the forum - there seems to be a lack of respect between console players and PC players. I don't think there needs to be two separate forums. And there also has to be some sort of "peer check" - do research and experimentation before posting "advice." Some of what you've described (and again I should emphasis very little of it) comes from the differing strategies in console and PC. KSP should have never been offered as a console game.

28 minutes ago, monstah said:

Because posting on an old thread is not an inherently bad thing to do, and definitely not slam-in-the-face-worthy.

Just to expand on monstah's comment:

Not only is posting on an old thread not inherently bad, but it's a self-correcting problem.  If someone does cluelessly necro a thread for no great reason, it's quickly and easily dealt with.  Whoever notices it, just report the post and otherwise do nothing.  Especially don't make an angry post in the thread complaining about it or ridiculing the poster.

There are good reasons not to post something yourself.  Because,

• it's rude
  • it's counterproductive
  • it accomplishes nothing
  • most importantly, it's not your place to tell anyone what they shouldn't be doing.  (See forum rules 2.4.b and 3.2.)  Even if you're right.  :wink:

Reporting the post (ideally, with an explanatory note) raises it to the moderators' attention.  Then we can decide what to do, if anything.  It's our job.

We may decide that it's a "valid necro" (e.g. for a topic that's still relevant), and no action is required.  Or we may agree with you that it's uncalled for, in which case a fairly common response is for the moderator to respond in-thread and then lock it to prevent further confusion.

It's quick, it's easy, it solves the problem permanently for that thread whenever it comes up... and it doesn't actually happen all that often.  Bear in mind that since we're moderators, we see all the problematic necros (since they generally get reported to us)-- as a regular forum user, you may not.  I can tell you that the little "this is old, are you sure you want to post?" banner at the bottom really does work pretty well.  Sure, it's not 100%, but the quantity of necro reports we received has dropped a lot since that banner went up.  We get maybe one necro thread a week these days, tops.

It's not a bad problem; it's a rare edge case, quickly and easily dealt with.  No door-slamming required.

35 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

What do you have to do to get warning points?

Break the rules severely or repeatedly enough for the mod team to feel a warning with no points is insufficient. 

If you would like some I'm sure we could oblige you without needing to break any rules. :)

2 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

What do you have to do to get warning points?

Engage me in a political debate on the forum... and we'll surely get warning points together...

and that's because the discussion of politics is forbidden under forum rule 2.2...