Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

18 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Wow, I didn't know that! can there be something that shows 'highest replied thread'?

No tool that I'm aware of.

I went to each forum/subforum, sorted by "Most Replies", and went off the number of pages.

Okay, this seems like the appropriate place to state this and put an end to the speculation:

Our commitment as your forum moderators is something we take very seriously. And often we find ourselves in unfamiliar territory and dealing with things which there are actions which are required but we do not take any pleasure in doing. For the last few posts there have been some statements of a speculative nature made which others are assigning meaning to which, to be quite honest, is not helpful and is actually harmful to the forum community. With this in mind, I would like to bring the following to mind: 

1. Every moderator sings a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). They are on file with Squad and it's parent company, Take-Two.
  2. When we say that we cannot talk about certain moderation issues, we mean we cannot do it because of the NDA we signed. And as with any contract, there are consequences that happen if we break the NDA. We enjoy what we do because it allows us to give back to the KSP community. So, please respect our efforts and accept it when we tell you we can't discuss certain things.
  3. Do not badger the moderation team or fuel random speculation based on when we have to tell you sorry, we cannot comment on ____ at this time. Doing so only adds to tensions about certain aspects of moderation, forum management, and moderator-forum user relations. While Forum Guideline 3 does offer general guidance. Particularly,
  • 3.3 Open discussion of staff decisions: Do not openly discuss action (or inaction) taken by the staff (bans, warnings etc.). If you have concerns about a moderator action, see 3.4 below.
  • 3.4 Contesting moderation action:  All of the moderators are active community members who try to set a good example and apply the rules as appropriately as possible, but they are only human and can make mistakes from time to time. If you disagree with something they have done, please contact them or a senior moderator privately, and the issue will be re-examined.

That's it. If you disagree with a moderator's action, the rules are clear. Don't openly discuss it in the open on any thread. Do it in a private message. We will be more than happy to discuss an individual moderating issue which you are a party to in a private message. Please do not think of this as a personal invitation to talk about any moderation action you are interested in. If it does not involve you directly then we cannot and will not discuss it with you

So, please, after this post, no further speculation on moderator actions involving banning forum members, banning forum members who happen to be moderators, speculation about such moderation actions, promoting such speculation as fact, or pressuring moderators to provide you answers which run afoul of our non-disclosure agreement (NDA) can and probably will be met with an official warning under Forum Rule 3.3 and/or Forum Rule 3.4.

Thank you for your cooperation and help in keeping our forum operating smoothly and inviting to fans of Kerbal Space Program and Kerbal Space Program 2 of all ages!

7 hours ago, Fraston said:

Not like it matters, but does it take up a name change slot?

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Does that use up their one and only name change?

No, it doesn't.  Rationale:

• A user is allowed to request a name change exactly once.  The reason for that is to prevent user abuse by hopping names around a lot, which would make life confusing for forum members and a hassle for the moderators.
  • However, if we are the ones forcing them to change their name because we believe it to be inappropriate, then that's on us, not them.  So we generally give them the benefit of the doubt by not having that count against their one name change.

6 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

We also don't talk about other moderators for the same reason we don't talk about our interactions with forum members: it would be rude. 

Anyway, does anyone have questions about the forum? 

Not sure if this is appropriate, but how often does this forum face cyber attacks?

21 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Not sure if this is appropriate, but how often does this forum face cyber attacks?

Another thing they cannot speak of. ;) Because it might reveal information to the wrong people.

6 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Anyway, does anyone have questions about the forum? 

What... is the airspeed velocity of an unladen forum?

1 hour ago, I likeOxidizerrfuel said:

How do I become a moderator? 

I understand there have been "open application" times in the past, where people can apply.  Other times people have been contacted privately and been asked if they were interested.

1 hour ago, I likeOxidizerrfuel said:

Will they be replaced by bots in the near future?

What makes you think we haven't already?

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

We replaced the bots. They couldn't handle all the <snip>. 

Easy, guy!  Just cool your jets and we'll all get along fine.

Yeah, I know I just broke some kind of rule.  Couldn't help it: citing "irresistible opportunity for humor".

Edited by Hotel26

Hi there,

As you may know, occasionally I try to help other fellow KSP players having problems, and quite often I link this

in the hope to get something to work with to analyze the problem. 

This very thread though says 

"NOTE: These logs are not the same as KSP.log, which lacks valuable data. Do not upload KSP.log; do upload output_log.txt / Player.log"

while, as per my experience, the ksp.log does contain valuable information like installed mods incl. their versions that I can not find in the player.log.

My question: would you mind to change that "How to get support" post to include the ksp.log as well as the crash dumps to provide for analysis?

Would make it easier for me to help other fellow Kerbonauts (e.g. how often it turned out to be an outdated mod causing the problem) :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

Hey Mods, question for you: (pick any or all of the below)

What's your perspective on KSP itself?

What do you think about us users?

The forum design and layout?

Your fellow mods?

What's your side on *insert any KSP forum debate (for example, Dres or MechJeb) here*? What do you think about that debate, as an entirety?

How many moderators are there?

What are some interesting hobbies you value even higher than KSP and the forums (if any)?

Story behind your current profile picture?

What's your side on *insert any internet debate (for example, airplane on treadmills or water's wetness) here*? What do you think about that debate, as an entirety?

What's an interesting fact about astronomy you think you're one of the only people to know?

Is this too many questions?

Edited by LittleBitMore
formatting, added "your fellow mods"

Hello, @LittleBitMore and anyone else who wants to read my take of your questions. :)

5 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

In spite of the forum members screaming gloom and doom about KSP and KSP2, I think there's a lot of life in the original if for some reason, KSP2 never becomes a reality or goes to become the blockbuster video game release of 2021!. The original KSP is very mod-able, it's pretty stable now, and you can virtually play it any way you want to play a game about space exploration - largely thanks to the modding community and the excellent support and attention given to the community by @SQUAD. It's a combination which rarely happens in the computer gaming industry. There are always going to be really great and long-played "cult pc games" out there; KSP is one of them. I've been playing since 2011 and it is my "go to" game. :wub:

Without forum users, I would not be a moderator. And I am still a forum member, too. The only difference is green lettering under my name. And all it means is I have to set a higher example for others than I did when I wasn't a moderator. Which now that I think about it, was probably one of the reasons they made me a moderator - to force me to behave! :D

Meh, it works. I'm more thankful for the folks who maintain the "under the hood" items. Without them, we'd not have the forum. It's not the worse forum software or layout I've seen. But there's always room for improvement.

Your fellow mods?

They are all a great bunch of guys. I am lucky to have met such a great group of people who also love this game and community as much as I do. Sure, we don't always agree on KSP and non-KSP topics, but I will tell you this - I'd be honored to have a steak dinner with any of them. Seriously, a few of them have transcended the "Internet friend" boundary and are a part of the "true friends" that  I have. I'm 50 years old and do not make friends easily. But these guys have done what many who knows me in the real world believe to be impossible... and that is to arrive into the circle of adsii1970's friends... :D

What's your side on *insert any KSP forum debate (for example, Dres or MechJeb) here*? What do you think about that debate, as an entirety?

I'm going to take a pass on this question. It could lead to folks flaming each other. As Dr. Lyman Hall of Georgia said during the early debate on American independence, my personal views are my own.

It depends. I'm also a moderator on the KSP's official Steam store page discussions section. So, between the two areas, and the IRC channel, I am really not too sure.

What are some interesting hobbies you value even higher than KSP and the forums (if any)?

See my profile. My music, astronomy, space flight all rate extremely high. But I also highly value being a part of this community. So, in reality, that's a hard question for me to answer.

I once used the flag of my imaginary Kerbal nation (see signature image below). But after using it for two years, I decided to change it. So, I picked one which involved my favorite insect - the inchworm. My favorite animal is the octopus. But with KSP's Kraken jokes (and ancient mariners using the octopus to represent the Kraken), there were too many octopus avatars already being used. So... :rolleyes:

What's your side on *insert any internet debate (for example, airplane on treadmills or water's wetness) here*? What do you think about that debate, as an entirety?

What?! :0.0:

What's an interesting fact about astronomy you think you're one of the only people to know?

In this day and age, and with the availability of the Internet, I do not think I have exclusive knowledge over anything - with the exception of what I'm planning to have for dinner. ;)

Nope because it's the last one on your post. :D

3 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

The internet debates I was referring to are:

People are very confused on whether an airplane on a treadmill can take off or not. I don't think it can.
People are arguing on whether water's wet.

Uh, sure. yeah. And these are the same people who are doing YouTube cinnamon challenges and eating tide pods... :confused:

It is one of the rare games which didn't follow a genre but created one. As such, it's hard to know what to say about it because it doesn't really compare to anything else. It's the game I've been involved with the longest, though, by far. 

We ARE users. We were all recruited from among the forum members. 

I'm cool with it, though I wish there was a night mode or something so I wasn't staring into this unrelieved white. 

Your fellow mods? 

They're cool. Except that one guy. You all know who I mean. 

I am categorically opposed to it. 

24, though some are currently inactive due to real world commitments.

I play a number of games but checking the forum is the first thing I do every day on my free time. 

A number of nice people have made images for me, and I rotate them periodically as my avatar. 

I support it categorically. 

I can see Andromeda from my house. 

Yes. 

On 3/16/2020 at 8:54 AM, LittleBitMore said:

I am on these forums for the community. Without the connections I've made over the years, I would have certainly drifted off by now, so thank you all for making this a fun place to be.

They took BBCode out of my cold, privacy-lacking hands.

Your fellow mods?

Deddly's nice.

The thread was locked by @Ted and has never been unlocked.

A moderate amount.

I mentioned this a few posts back, but I really enjoy cooking. Also, camping and spending time outdoors is always fun.

I like dogs.

The thread was locked by @Ted in 2013, and hasn't been unlocked. I wish people would just stop posting and respect the lock.

I can see Vanamonde's house from Andromeda.

Is this two questions?

No, this is 10 questions.

which one is cuter

:Dor ^_^ or :wub: or what about :maneuver: or maybe even :funds::funds: :funds:

On 3/16/2020 at 4:36 PM, Vanamonde said:

I'm cool with it, though I wish there was a night mode or something so I wasn't staring into this unrelieved white

yes

he forum design and layout

ok I’m not a mod but this is a question I want to share

ok so first: I wish that the length of posts impacted when to put a post in the next page so that long - butt posts don’t make it so that it takes 9 Jool years to scroll down

second: I want a way to change default font

third: night mode pls

2 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

third: night mode pls

Absolutely shameless plug below: (I use Stylus, and NOT Stylish plugin. All the Userstyles.org themes to also work with Stylus)

https://userstyles.org/styles/128030/darkblack-kerbal-space-program-ksp-forum

If you dont like mine above, you can search "kerbal" or "KSP" to find several others.

Also, forum user @flart has a nice one in this thread:

Edited by Stone Blue